Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Samhain Pumpkin Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #491
huxon44
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hope this hasnt been stated already, but I was wondering if I could use 1# of Brown (amber) malt instead of roasting my own? I do not have a mill and I would like to brew this ASAP as my friends are coming in from the northeast to spend about a month here in AZ and they love pumpkin beer.

Thanks!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #492
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by huxon44 View Post
Hope this hasnt been stated already, but I was wondering if I could use 1# of Brown (amber) malt instead of roasting my own? I do not have a mill and I would like to brew this ASAP as my friends are coming in from the northeast to spend about a month here in AZ and they love pumpkin beer.

Thanks!!!!
Sure, but realize there is a difference between brown and amber malt. I'd use amber malt in place of the toasted malt, but you'll need to decrease the amount since it's much stronger. I'd go 0.5-0.75 lbs of amber malt depending on how much of that toasty/bread crusty flavor you want. Good luck!

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 11-29-2012, 06:00 PM   #493
huxon44
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Okay perfect, thanks so much!

Old 11-30-2012, 12:08 AM   #494
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 148

...patiently waiting for the 19th of December to get here. Bottled on Halloween, waiting patiently to finish this diet...

On Deck Pumpkin Ale 2014, FBS clone, Port oaked amber, Old Rasputin Clone, 15% RIS

Old 12-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #495
OBayBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI
Amount Item Type % or IBU

8.00 lb Golden Promise (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 50.38 %
3.625 lb Pumpkin* (2 x 29 oz. cans of Libby pure pumpkin) (3.0 SRM) Grain 22.86 %
1.00 lb British Caramalt (34.0 SRM) Grain 6.30 %
1.00 lb Toasted Malt** (27.0 SRM) Grain 6.30 %
1.00 lb Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 6.30 %

1.00 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 6.30 %

0.25 lb Molasses (80.0 SRM) Sugar 1.57 %

0.50 oz Magnum [13.40 %] (60 min) Hops 21.9 IBU

1 t. cinnamon (5 min)
1/2 t. allspice (5 min)
1/2 t. ground ginger (5 min)
1/4 t. nutmeg (5 min)
1/4 t. clove (5 min)

*Pumpkin baked uncovered for 1 hour at 350 degrees to caramelize some of the sugars and gelatinize starches
**Maris otter malt toasted for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven

Mash at 152 degrees for 60 minutes. Pumpkin should be included in mash. Be sure to use rice hulls as the pumpkin will make for a slightly sticky sparge.

Boil for 60 minutes. I used magnum to bitter but you can use any clean bittering variety being sure to adjust amount to get 22 IBU. Add molasses with 10 minutes left in the boil. Add all spices with 5 minutes left in the boil.

I used Denny's favorite 50 yeast but us-05 or it's liquid equivalents could probably be substituted with no ill-effect since Denny's yeast is a seasonal strain and could be hard to find. You may want to mash at 154 if you use us-05 since it should be slightly more attenuative and Denny's seems to give a bit more mouthfeel that mashing higher if you use us-05 should emulate. Having said that, if you can source some Denny's, use it!

The result is a highly drinkable pumpkin ale that should go as well with Thanksgiving dinner as it does with a Sunday of watching football on the couch. The spices are just right, there's enough to give a great aroma and flavor but not so much that the beer becomes cloying or tiresome after a pint or two. The pumpkin in this recipe is essential. There has been a lot of discussion lately on whether the pumpkin is required in a pumpkin ale and my firm answer is YES. Besides lending a smooth, unctuous mouthfeel, the pumpkin gives the beer a certain "Je ne sais quoi". If you've mashed a wheat beer, a pumpkin beer will be cake. Just add the rice hulls and you'll have no problem.

As for the name, Samhain was a Celtic festival marking the end of the summer and the end of the harvest. It has influenced other holidays including one we are all familiar with that is celebrated around the same time, Halloween. Villagers would build great bonfires on the evening of Samhain and let all of the hearthfires in their houses die out. They would then take new flames from the bonfire and relight their own fires which would continue to heat their houses and cook their food until the next Samhain. I realize pumpkin would not have been a crop known to the people inhabiting the British Isles when this festival took place, but I think we can brew it and enjoy it in similar celebration of the harvest and the year gone, and in preparation for the cold winter and the new year. Cheers!
What is the potential side-effect of not boiling for the additional 60 minutes? I somehow missed the boil after the mash! *ashamed*

Old 12-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #496
OCBrewin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBayBrewer View Post
What is the potential side-effect of not boiling for the additional 60 minutes? I somehow missed the boil after the mash! *ashamed*
Are you saying that you didn't boil the wort at all!?

Well, other than not hop utilization (or very little), you would have gotten no hot or cold break and would have not driven off any DMS that may be present.

The real concern though is that you didn't sanitize the wort and now you probably have a stew of bacteria and wild yeasts/spores that were on the grain husks. I've only made one "no-boil" beer and that was a berliner weisse, which is supposed to be sour....

IMO, you wont have anything that is very close to what you were going for... Boiling is pretty basic in brewing.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #497
GearJammer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Did you not boil the wort at all?

/edit/ OCBrewin got to it first

Old 12-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #498
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2651 Times on 2070 Posts
Likes Given: 298

Pumpkin Berliner anyone?

Old 12-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #499
OBayBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I mashed at 158 degrees for 60 minutes, but I did not boil after removing the grains. I have a very healthy fermentation going right now and I'm wondering if I should just let it do its thing or if I should remover it from the primary, boil as instructed, and then repitch? I brewed this on Sunday so only two days in primary at this point.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #500
dale1038
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber
Pumpkin Berliner anyone?
I have a bunch of imperial berliner I need to drink. I'll make up a pumpkin tincture here soon and see what pumpkin berliner tastes like. I'll report back.

Quick Reply