Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Samhain Pumpkin Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #471
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesvdustin
Yeah I know there is a big difference in fluid and weight ounces. I'll get the ole scale out. When I bake this much pumpkin, can I do it in casserole dishes?
I use a baking pan you know like a cookie sheet and it worked great!! I really love this recipe a lot I'm brewing this again today for almost 20 gallons this year it's really more like 22.5. Only thing in doing different this time is adding gelatin at kegging as Denny wy1450 is low flocculant and takes a long time to clear not that it's the end of the world but I would like to try gelatin to see the results.
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #472
OCBrewin

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI

Don't confuse fluid ounces with ounces. A fluid ounce of molasses will weigh much more than an ounce. Milesvdustin, just weigh out your desired amount of molasses into a pyrex measuring cup on a balance. Using the pyrex measuring cup allows you to dunk it in the boiling wort to wash out the thick molasses.
Haha, wow. I just looked back and realized that the molasses was called out in lbs. I must have goofed when writing down my recipe and just put 4oz, assuming the recipe was calling for that... Hmm so it looks like I've been using much more molasses than called for, but oh well. It tastes great and ill be doing my third batch tomorrow for 15 gallons of the stuff this year. Maybe ill back off on the molasses this time a bit...

Old 10-28-2012, 01:17 AM   #473
milesvdustin
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Are all the spices ground?

Edit: I ground it all.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:52 AM   #474
Bamsdealer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 10

A variation of this was a bit hit at a pumpkin carving party today. I used extra two row and modified it a bit for something in the 7% abv range. Definitely doing another one of these next year.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:41 AM   #475
milesvdustin
Recipes 

So I just got mine in the fermenter, and this was the biggest disaster ever. Stuck sparge, and for some reason I boiled off three gallons over an hour. If its chilly and really windy will that cause a lot more boil off? I still got barely ten gallons in my fermenters, and I came out a little high on og due to the extra boil off and I added a bit more molasses and some brown sugar on my pumpkin in the oven. Now to forget about it for a month!

Old 10-28-2012, 03:50 AM   #476
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Today I was prepping a few things so I can brew this on Tuesday. I burned the malt toasting it myself so I get to try that again tomorrow. I scaled the recipe up to 1.080 with all percentages the same but I kept the spice additions where they were. My goal is to have something like the weyerbacher pumpkin ale just not quite so... Pumpkin spicey.

On Deck The Kaiser, Blue Moon, oatmeal porter

Old 10-29-2012, 12:51 AM   #477
skankin_brews
Recipes 

Played around with the recipe and did a partial mash. Tastes great.

forumrunner_20121028_195132.jpg

Old 10-30-2012, 09:05 PM   #478
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Just pitched the yeast on this one. My efficiency was horrible, I had a lot of uncrushed grains. Missed my OG by 10 points. But... Whatever. It should still work out at 1.070. Another reminder to have two things. A decent supply of DME for starters and times like this... And GET MY MILL PUT TOGETHER!

On Deck The Kaiser, Blue Moon, oatmeal porter

Old 11-07-2012, 06:07 AM   #479
Toastman
Recipes 

A few more days, and I rack this into bottles. But oh man, the samples are fantastic! Can't wait till this is ready. Here's a pic I may be using on my labels. Should go over great in a couple weeks with a slice of real pumpkin pie.

pumpkinpie.jpg  

Primary1:Waldo Lake
Primary2:----
Secondary:----
Bottled:Hopquila
Drinkin:Hopquila, Anarchy IPA

Old 11-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #480
milesvdustin
Recipes 

So it has been two weeks tomorrow that I brewed this. I used US-05 yeast. I controlled the fermentation temp in my bathtub at 65-67 degrees the whole time. All the yeast has dropped out of suspension and the beer is quite clear. I just took a gravity reading, and I seem to have stalled or stuck at 1.020. The sample didn't really taste that sweet, but it was also uncarbed. What should I do with it?

I used yeast that I had washed about 7 or 8 months before. I made a one liter starter at first, then bumped it up to 1.5 liters and split it between the two fermenters. Both fermenters kicked off with a bang within 8 hours, and fermentation was vigorous with lots of yeast rafts swirling around like gangbusters, and a nice 3-4 inch krausen on each batch. Both have dropped in to nice compact yeast cakes.

Quick Reply