Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Samhain Pumpkin Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 11:53 PM   #441
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 7

By the way, if anyone is interested in how my imperial version came out, I'm drinking some right now. It's really nice. If you remember, I took the recipe and added enough golden promise to get the og to like 1.078 or something. I then added 1/8 teaspoon of McCormick Vanilla Butter and Nut extract at kegging. The result is a really decadent pumpkin ale along the lines of Southern Tier's Imperial Pumking, but with more malt complexity, more body, more pumpkin flavor and a slightly darker color. I'm entering it into a local comp to see what the judges think. I'm pretty sure it is going to blow their minds!

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 12:16 AM   #442
OCBrewin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Wow - I am still 'aging' my original recipe. I just haven't gotten it into rotation in the 3 tap keezer yet and wanted to save enough for Halloween.... Hmmm. Maybe I should brew another batch this weekend.... King - what is your grain to glass time on this brew?

Old 10-02-2012, 12:18 AM   #443
weesm
Recipes 

Great to hear about the imperial version! Thats a definite version of this brew I would try next year.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:27 AM   #444
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCBrewin View Post
Wow - I am still 'aging' my original recipe. I just haven't gotten it into rotation in the 3 tap keezer yet and wanted to save enough for Halloween.... Hmmm. Maybe I should brew another batch this weekend.... King - what is your grain to glass time on this brew?
Haha, it's been 3 weeks and a couple days since I brewed this last batch and I'm drinking it right now. It's not completely carbed yet, but tastes great. I've found that when I pitch a proper amount of healthy yeast, and control fermentation temperatures with an iron fist, I can go from grain to glass in less than 3 weeks. My current fermentation schedule is typically 7 days at ferment temps (usually low 60s controlled by a temperature controller attached directly to the fermentation bucket in a chest freezer) then a crash cool to between 32 and 43 degrees for another 7 days. Then I keg it, and let it start to carbonate at serving pressure (or sometimes slightly higher if I'm impatient). I'll be drinking and enjoying it within a week in most cases.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #445
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCBrewin View Post
If it makes a diff, my pumpkin ale recipe is very similar and I am drinking it right now 7 days later. It is one of the best beers I've tasted. I used about 1/3 of the spices and 1968 yeast. Fullers strain is fast.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 10-02-2012, 12:38 AM   #446
OCBrewin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
My current fermentation schedule is typically 7 days at ferment temps (usually low 60s controlled by a temperature controller attached directly to the fermentation bucket in a chest freezer) then a crash cool to between 32 and 43 degrees for another 7 days. Then I keg it, and let it start to carbonate at serving pressure (or sometimes slightly higher if I'm impatient). I'll be drinking and enjoying it within a week in most cases.
Cool. I got my first dedicated fermentation freezer set up about a week ago. I used to unhook the kegs from the keezer, pull them out, reset the temp to fermentation temps and then reverse the process every time I wanted to serve. Controlling these temps (60-65) for most of my beers has really sped up my process too. I keep sneaking samples of the Samhain and its def. getting better and better. This is one that can really stand up to some mellowing and aging - even if it doesn't [I]need[I] it. I am thinking of dosing the keg with 1 tsp of homemade vanilla extract (bean steeped in vodka for 3 weeks) to really bring home the pumpkin pie flavor.

Looks like imperial is next.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #447
Mountainlivin
Recipes 

I kegged 5 gal, and bottled the rest 4 days ago. I just cracked open a bottle to see how it is coming along and Wow! My friends and family are going to love me. Thanks! I don't know if this will last until Thanksgiving.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:36 AM   #448
weesm
Recipes 

Just made some pumpkin beer floats with vanilla ice cream and this beer. So awesome! Talk about a SWMBO killer!

Old 10-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #449
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesm View Post
Just made some pumpkin beer floats with vanilla ice cream and this beer. So awesome! Talk about a SWMBO killer!
Hows the clove flavor coming?

Old 10-06-2012, 01:44 AM   #450
jscovill
Recipes 

Laying here working on a bottle of Blue Moon pumpkin ale. Saw it and had to try it for the sake of comparison. Gotta say, mine is better!

Quick Reply