Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Samhain Pumpkin Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2012, 04:10 AM   #431
WarrantedFED
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI

Yeah, I know. Everytime I hear someone say that pumpkin doesn't add anything to a beer I figure they either haven't tried it or have a really crappy palate. Either way, I've stopped wasting my time responding to them. I'm glad you like the beer, despite its high FG.
I second that! I've made 3 pumpkin brews all using pumpkin, and I wouldn't have it any other way!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #432
Mountainlivin
Recipes 

Anyone use fresh pumpkin? I did a 10 gal batch on Saturday with 10 lbs of fresh pumpkin that my sister inlaw grew. I made a few other modifications and came out to 1.067 OG. I hope it turns out good. Thanks for the recipe.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:05 AM   #433
idigg
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Bottling this tonight, smells delicious!

Old 09-27-2012, 02:24 AM   #434
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2688 Times on 2086 Posts
Likes Given: 339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainlivin
Anyone use fresh pumpkin? I did a 10 gal batch on Saturday with 10 lbs of fresh pumpkin that my sister inlaw grew. I made a few other modifications and came out to 1.067 OG. I hope it turns out good. Thanks for the recipe.
What kind of pumpkin? Any kind of Jack'o lantern pumpkin is going to have watery flesh and a very poor flavor. Only specific pumpkins are suitable for eating. Actually butternut squash does better than pumpkin in most recipes calling for the former. Hopefully it does turn out good being that you have 10 gallons of if.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #435
Mountainlivin
Recipes 

It is a beautiful food specific pumpkin. The type that when you cut it open a wonderful aroma fills the room. The fermentation is complete. FG is 1.020 with a 6.7ish% abv. The sample is very cloudy even after cold crash. The spice is very prominent in its uncarbed state. I think it will be tasty with a little age and bubbles 

pumpkin.jpg  

Old 09-29-2012, 06:00 AM   #436
Paramecium
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Brewed this up last week. Pulled a sample after 6 days. Looking pretty nice.

380163_10151406378741679_1207585363_n.jpg  

Primary~ Empty

Secondary~ Mosaic IPA

Kegged~

Ransack Port Oak Aged RIS

Blood Orange Hefe

Bonne Nuit Saison

Old 09-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #437
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I really have to brew this again, knee problems have slowed me down and I'm behind schedule. This was easily one if the best beers I've brewed as well as being one of the few beers I stayed true to recipe. A year after brewing this it has still been on my mind. again great job KbrianI !!

Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 10-01-2012, 10:29 PM   #438
jscovill
Recipes 

I did this one up as my fourth ever all-grain batch. I have to say it has turned out to be my best so far! Just the right a amount of spicyness and a bitterness that doesn't linger for too long. Beautiful color!

Old 10-02-2012, 12:34 AM   #439
weesm
Recipes 

I just racked my batch over to a keg, chilled, fined, and tasted a sample pint. Great biscuity malt flavor but it's really clovey right now. I hope the spice level drops a bit more in the next few weeks. I used a tbsp of premixed pumpkin spice that included clove, ginger, etc.

Has anyone else experienced this to and how long did it take to drop off. Also, is it better to age a beer at cellar temps? 50-55F? Maybe it would speed up the process or should I keep it colder?

Old 10-02-2012, 12:49 AM   #440
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesm View Post
I just racked my batch over to a keg, chilled, fined, and tasted a sample pint. Great biscuity malt flavor but it's really clovey right now. I hope the spice level drops a bit more in the next few weeks. I used a tbsp of premixed pumpkin spice that included clove, ginger, etc.

Has anyone else experienced this to and how long did it take to drop off. Also, is it better to age a beer at cellar temps? 50-55F? Maybe it would speed up the process or should I keep it colder?
Aging should definitely reduce the spice level and a cooler aging may help speed the process. I don't recommend using those premixed spices for just this reason, you can't be sure what kind of ratios you're getting. But I can understand not wanting to buy 5 different bottles of spices just to brew a beer. Give it a couple weeks and I bet the clove will have dropped down some. Hopefully, it's enough to make the beer enjoyable.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Quick Reply