Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Samhain Pumpkin Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #421
GearJammer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
Leave the spicing the same if you want a subtle, well-balanced spice. If you want a more over-the-top spiciness, you can up the amounts, but I'm leaving it the same for my imperial samhain ale.
Would you increase all the malt proportionately, or just the base malt? I'm going with Maris Otter, and for a 1.080 beer, 11 gallon batch @ 75%eff, I've got 27.5# of base malt! The color still seems to be close to what you have though.

I just had the Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin over the weekend, so I'm inspired to make a big pumpkin beer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #422
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearJammer View Post
Would you increase all the malt proportionately, or just the base malt? I'm going with Maris Otter, and for a 1.080 beer, 11 gallon batch @ 75%eff, I've got 27.5# of base malt! The color still seems to be close to what you have though.

I just had the Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin over the weekend, so I'm inspired to make a big pumpkin beer!
Just increase the base malt. That's what I did for my imperial batch, though it's still in primary.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 09-11-2012, 11:16 PM   #423
Bamsdealer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearJammer View Post

I sure hope it was better than their Pumpkinhead. I had one a few years back and couldn't finish it. A Bud Ice, Bud and Bud Light mixed together would have been more tolerable.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #424
GearJammer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamsdealer View Post
I sure hope it was better than their Pumpkinhead. I had one a few years back and couldn't finish it. A Bud Ice, Bud and Bud Light mixed together would have been more tolerable.
I'm pretty sure I've had that one as well, but the stronger version of these beers might be more tolerable because they are huge on malt and alcohol, and the pumpkin and spices are just lingering there in the background.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #425
OCBrewin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

So.... seems I have a bit of a problem now...

My hydrometer broke on the brew before this one, so I only took OG values. I had some higher than expected efficiencies and ended up with an OG of 1.067. I had a 3 week primary, 2 week secondary, then cold-crashed and kegged. It has been in the keg at 9psi and about 35deg F for about a week now.

I finally got a new hydrometer so I took a sample, degassed it and let it warm up only to find a FG of 1.020!! I thought that it tasted pretty sweet, but this seems too high. Anything I can do now, or should I just leave it be? I took it out of the keezer to let it warm back up, but was also toying with the idea of pitching some Notty in there. Should I?

The recipe was posted previously and is listed below:

EDIT: Looking back, maybe it was the additional 2oz of Crystal 60L and 2oz of Honey Malt, but that seems like trivial amounts....

"So I brewed this yesterday and followed the recipe fairly well. I didn't have all of the grains on hand, but I did have Denny's 1450 and some Magnum. Followed all of the spice, molassas, and pumpkin (sprinkled with brown sugar before baking for some extra caramelly goodness). Here is my grain bill:

5# MO
3# US 2-row (ran out of MO....)
1# Toasted MO
1# Crystal 40L
4oz Vienna
4oz Munich
2oz Crystal 60L
20z Honey Malt

Basically added those small amounts of the last four malts to make up for any nutty/toasty/round flavors that I might have missed by subbing the 8# of GP with 5# MO and 3# 2-row."

Old 09-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #426
GearJammer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You could thrown some new yeast in the keg, once it's warmed up, but it seems like too much of a hassle to drop a few more points. If it tastes good, roll with it.

I've got a RyePA that stalled out at 1.032...now there's a beer that needs to dry out. But I've made several beers in the 20-22 range, and they tasted great.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #427
weesm
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCBrewin

I finally got a new hydrometer so I took a sample, degassed it and let it warm up only to find a FG of 1.020!! I thought that it tasted pretty sweet, but this seems too high. Anything I can do now, or should I just leave it be? I took it out of the keezer to let it warm back up, but was also toying with the idea of pitching some Notty in there. Should I?
Just an idea, but what about making a starter of sorts with a liter or two of the beer an the Notty to see if it does attenuate down farther. That way you would know if there are lots of unfermentables left or the Denny's just pooped out. I've never tried this before, just brainstorming....

I'm curious to know what you end up doing. I have a batch that start at 1.070 but I pitched 1056. About three days into primary and still going strong.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #428
OCBrewin

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesm View Post
Just an idea, but what about making a starter of sorts with a liter or two of the beer an the Notty to see if it does attenuate down farther. That way you would know if there are lots of unfermentables left or the Denny's just pooped out. I've never tried this before, just brainstorming....
That's a pretty good idea! I think I'll just leave it out in the warm for a week or so and see if it drops on its own.... I guess this is kinda a beer that 'slightly sweet' doesn't matter as much in.... Pumpkin pies are sweet afterall....

Old 09-19-2012, 12:57 AM   #429
OCBrewin

Recipes 

As a side note - the beer tasted fantastic!!! The spice level is right on and, for me, the pumpkin really comes through. I know a lot of people say that they can't taste it, but I (and SWMBO) really can!

Old 09-19-2012, 01:29 AM   #430
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCBrewin View Post
As a side note - the beer tasted fantastic!!! The spice level is right on and, for me, the pumpkin really comes through. I know a lot of people say that they can't taste it, but I (and SWMBO) really can!
Yeah, I know. Everytime I hear someone say that pumpkin doesn't add anything to a beer I figure they either haven't tried it or have a really crappy palate. Either way, I've stopped wasting my time responding to them. I'm glad you like the beer, despite its high FG.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Quick Reply