Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Samhain Pumpkin Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2011, 10:04 PM   #341
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2640 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 290

Huh... not really any head either. I used sparkelloid to fine, and cold crashed for 2 weeks and mine came out crystal clear. But one of the remarkable things about mine was it had crazy head retention. I once poured one and then drove to the grocery store, came back a half hour later and the head had only come down a little.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2011, 10:44 PM   #342
wcrooker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hmmmm, I thought I had hit all my temps, I might have mashed a little cooler then I should have.... but I let that glass sit for awhile and there is a good amount of yeast in the glass... so I think it might be that it didn't flocculate.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:54 PM   #343
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcrooker View Post
Hmmmm, I thought I had hit all my temps, I might have mashed a little cooler then I should have.... but I let that glass sit for awhile and there is a good amount of yeast in the glass... so I think it might be that it didn't flocculate.
If it were me, I would cold condition it like you had planned. If that didn't work, then I would add a bit of gelatin as a last resort.
edit: I used S-04 dry yeast & didn't have flocc issues.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:29 AM   #344
FuelshopMcgee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Right here with you man..I think lagering this at the end of fermentation should be a mandatory step. There is no reason to use gelatin as a last resort. It's a perfectly viable clearing method that has virtually no negative side other than it doesn't clear out chill haze. However I used gelatin finings to clear it up a bit and it still nearly took half the damn keg to start to clear.

Don't get me wrong the beer tastes absolutely great but denny's 50 are just some persistent little bastards.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #345
elproducto
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Need more info, what yeast did you use, when did you rack, did you use Whirlfloc/Irish Moss?

It will likely clear with some time in the keg.. if not you can hit it with gelatin.

Fall Line Brewing Company

http://www.beerisafourletterword.wordpress.com

Fermenter 1 - Spring Saison
Fermenter 2 -

Keg 1 - BCS Best Bitter
Keg 2 - McDole's APA
Keg 3 - BCS Robust Smoked Porter
Keg 4 - CYBI Obsidian Stout

Old 11-22-2011, 04:27 PM   #346
wcrooker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elproducto
Need more info, what yeast did you use, when did you rack, did you use Whirlfloc/Irish Moss?

It will likely clear with some time in the keg.. if not you can hit it with gelatin.
I used Denny's, I didn't use whirlfloc/Irish moss, and it when straight to the keg after 4 weeks in the primary. I'm probably just gonna throw in some gelatin and hope for the best before Thanksgiving lol.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:36 PM   #347
OCBrewin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I tried to read most of this thread, but didn't see anyone who has tried using maple syrup as well...

I just got my hands on some very good, fresh stuff and was thinking that a cup or two in the recipe might lend itself very nicely to the flavors that everyone is experimenting with.

Any thoughts?

Old 11-22-2011, 09:49 PM   #348
dmckean44
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I brewed this but subbed a half a pound of victory for the pound of toasted malt in the recipe. I also upped the cinnamon a half teaspoon and racked on top of two tablespoons of homemade vanilla extract when I bottled. It was a hit at my homebrew party Sunday night.

Mine turned out a little cloudy too and this was my first experience with WY1450. It's a strange yeast compared to the what I'm used to but it sure did bring out the pumpkin flavor. I might try using WLP028 the next time I make it. I'd love to brew this again as a saison and pitch some brett and drink it next October.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #349
wcrooker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used some gelatin and that really helped. My brewing buddy took some to his parents house for Thanksgiving and it was a huge hit. Thanks Brian!

Old 11-25-2011, 12:31 AM   #350
Firebat138
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 28

we used maple syrup as we did not have any of the other. What does the gelatin do...?

Fermenting:
20 gal Galactic Black IPA, 10 gal Ypers Pale Ale,
10 gal Belgian WitX2, 10 Gal 2 Hearted Clone,10 gal Samhain Pumpkin, 10 gal Green Flash West Coast IPA
10 gal Coffee Stout,10 Gal Raging Beeatch, 10 Gal Hop Head IPA

Quick Reply