Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Samhain Pumpkin Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2011, 01:09 PM   #331
sethwar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Just bottled mine yesterday. Took a little taste and it was delicious. Gonna be a long three weeks or so waiting for this one

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 03:05 AM   #332
Rolly
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I finally have this carbed in the keg and the taste reminds me of magnificent. When I first tasted it in the primary I thought it was a little bland (brewed exactly as written). It was still a great beer, but it needed some more flavor. Then I did the following additions to the recipe:

I brought about 2 cups of water to a boil, then threw in two cut madagascar vanilla beans, the original amount of spices (in addition to what was added to the boil kettle), a little extra cinnamon on top of that, and 8 oz maltodextrin. I let that mixture boil for 1 minute, cooled then dumped into the fermenter.

Then I let it sit for two more weeks, and crash cooled with gelatin. I don't normally do the gelatin thing, but the wy1450 just refused to flocculate and had a yeast bite that wouldn't go away.

I also racked a gallon of this into a jug and added some Jolly Pumpkin dregs. I will be drinking the funky batch at the same time I'm drinking the re-brew of this recipe next year...stay tuned for that episode! Thanks KingBrian!

Old 10-16-2011, 10:05 PM   #333
wcrooker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just got done moving this into the fetmenter. It tastes and smells great. I hit all my numbers and this was a very easy/fun brew day. Thanks Brain.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:55 AM   #334
wedge421
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

NVM answered my own question

The Best Homebrew and Beer Review VIDEOS on the internets:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BeerGeekNation
Buy Beer Geek Nation shirts - http://www.beergeeknation.com/store

Old 10-26-2011, 02:32 PM   #335
FuelshopMcgee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So I've let this go for about 3 weeks now. Just checked my FG and it was at 1.006 definitely drier than I wanted. I made this last year and really loved the malty-ness of it and I'm afraid this is a little too dry now. I may try to back sweeten w/ some hazelnut syrup/vanilla extract as I've seen some people in the post mention their success. Anyone else have the denny's 50 finish that low this year? My SG was 1.052 and FG was 1.006 leaving me w/ 6% abv and attenuation of 88%. I used mr malty and pitched the correct amount of yeast. No signs of an infection (bad odors/tastes etc..) I'll roll w/ it

Old 10-26-2011, 06:14 PM   #336
spyder2723
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I finished right about 1.008 with Denny's 50, but I ended up mashing low because of my first time using rice hulls and not pre-heating enough.

Bad A** Joos Brewhouse

Old 10-27-2011, 05:46 AM   #337
Chipman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just brewed a slightly modified batch of this with a friend. Smelled amazing during the boil! Tastes great going into the fermentor. We're pretty excited to try this in a few weeks. Just in time for thanksgiving

Cooking with beer? Been doing it for years.
Add it to the food? I'll have to try it sometime.

He who has tasted sailing will walk the earth with his head turned into the wind.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #338
Chipman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just started drinking a batch of this one, exactly like the description. Subtle but tasty spices and you can taste the pumpkin along with some maltiness. Not very sweet either. I think it's pretty amazing stuff! My co-brewer wants to add more spices and make it taste like pumpkin pie, I think it's a bad idea but oh well.

Cooking with beer? Been doing it for years.
Add it to the food? I'll have to try it sometime.

He who has tasted sailing will walk the earth with his head turned into the wind.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #339
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Wow I just tasted this for the first time and I'll say it again WOW !!!! easily the best pumpkin ale I have ever had the spices are spot on not overly up front and blended perfectly with the malt. I was suprised that it was as dry as it was though not that it was dry dry but I finished at 1.012 and that was with starting higher than anticipated at 1.062. I used the denny's fav 50 and according to wyeast it has a max atten. of 76% if my calcs are correct I atten. at 80% so start to end a great brew with alot of suprises !!! thanks for a great recipe.

Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 11-21-2011, 09:17 PM   #340
wcrooker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Mine turned out really cloudy. What could have caused this?

forumrunner_20111121_171703.jpg

I followed the recipe exactly but fermented a little on the warm side. I didn't crash cool like I originally plan so I just racked to the keg. It tastes amazing but is very cloudy.

Quick Reply