Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Samhain Pumpkin Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2010, 03:07 AM   #21
BmillaTheBrewzilla
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
The pumpkin will absorb less water than the grain. It is already pretty wet, and after vorlaufing and sparging, it is just a thick mat of pulp on top of the grain that is pretty well drained of moisture.
+1. I found that the pumpkin absorbed very little water compared to grain.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2010, 02:25 PM   #22
sd_tom
Recipes 

Definitely looking to do a pumpkin beer in the next couple of weeks.. my last attempt 2 years ago failed where I think I used fresh nutmeg vs everything else from a jar.. which so overpowered everything else it started tasting like plastic. However the malty presence and other characteristics I could tell is what I wanted in a pumpkin beer... which is what I see described in this thread... so tempted to try it out.

However, in the side by side recipe comparison between my last recipe (Jamil's) and this is the use of WLP002 (English Ale Yeast). Seems like a good fit to me but interested what went into the choice for Denny's Favorite 50 and whether picking up some fruity esters from an english strain would mess with it for those who are fond of this recipe as is.

Last edited by sd_tom; 07-29-2010 at 02:37 PM.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:35 PM   #23
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_tom View Post
Definitely looking to do a pumpkin beer in the next couple of weeks.. my last attempt 2 years ago failed where I think I used fresh nutmeg vs everything else from a jar.. which so overpowered everything else it started tasting like plastic. However the malty presence and other characteristics I could tell is what I wanted in a pumpkin beer... which is what I see described in this thread... so tempted to try it out.

However, in the side by side recipe comparison between my last recipe (Jamil's) and this is the use of WLP002 (English Ale Yeast). Seems like a good fit to me but interested what went into the choice for Denny's Favorite 50 and whether picking up some fruity esters from an english strain would mess with it for those who are fond of this recipe as is.
I like Denny's Favorite 50 because it produces a beer with a smooth, almost thick mouthfeel without being sweet. WLP002 would be fine in the recipe. The only thing I can see as a problem is it not attenuating enough. I don't know if you plan on bottling it or kegging it, but I've had problems with the Fuller's strain in the bottle. Fermentation will completely stop, and not be startable again, in primary, but as soon as you bottle it, the gravity drops and you get overcarbonated bottles (or bombs!). I actually lost almost an entire batch of a bourbon pecan pie beer I made due to that. But I know a lot of people use it without a problem, so if you like it, then I say go for it.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 07-29-2010, 08:51 PM   #24
munklunk
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Just to clarify, is this a 60 or 90 minute boil? The recipe says 60, but the Magnum addition says 90.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:40 AM   #25
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by munklunk View Post
Just to clarify, is this a 60 or 90 minute boil? The recipe says 60, but the Magnum addition says 90.
It's a 60 minute boil, the timing for the magnum was put in wrong. Sorry about that! I'll update the original post as soon as the edit function starts working again.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:02 PM   #26
sd_tom
Recipes 

Quote:
I like Denny's Favorite 50 because it produces a beer with a smooth, almost thick mouthfeel without being sweet. WLP002 would be fine in the recipe. The only thing I can see as a problem is it not attenuating enough. I don't know if you plan on bottling it or kegging it, but I've had problems with the Fuller's strain in the bottle. Fermentation will completely stop, and not be startable again, in primary, but as soon as you bottle it, the gravity drops and you get overcarbonated bottles (or bombs!). I actually lost almost an entire batch of a bourbon pecan pie beer I made due to that. But I know a lot of people use it without a problem, so if you like it, then I say go for it.
To tell you the truth, I've had horrible luck with WLP002 as well; not to the extent of bottle bombs but early flocculation and having to rouse a bit. However, that was before I got serious about starters, etc.. so was looking for a rematch against this yeast if appropriate. My assumption right now is that I won't be able to find Denny's 50 in town (in SD, home of White Labs) and will either have to special order through LHBS or Williams which is a bit of a pain (especially if I found I liked the yeast and want to use it again and again )

Old 08-02-2010, 08:00 PM   #27
freudhawk
Recipes 

1.00 lb Toasted Malt** (27.0 SRM) Grain 6.30 %

How long to you let this toasted malt "condition" before you used it? I'm concerned with the harsh, bitter taste that you get before it mellows a bit with time, that Randy Mosher talks about. But, maybe that it a part of the recipe's unique flavor profile?!

Also, what did you shoot for in terms of water profile? How does pumpkin affect pH?

Old 08-02-2010, 09:00 PM   #28
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freudhawk View Post
1.00 lb Toasted Malt** (27.0 SRM) Grain 6.30 %

How long to you let this toasted malt "condition" before you used it? I'm concerned with the harsh, bitter taste that you get before it mellows a bit with time, that Randy Mosher talks about. But, maybe that it a part of the recipe's unique flavor profile?!

Also, what did you shoot for in terms of water profile? How does pumpkin affect pH?
I let any toasted malt rest for at least 2 weeks before use in a paper bag. I've never tried it before that but I have heard of some people not waiting and not getting any harsh flavors. But I'll still let it rest just in case.

I probably just used palmer's water calculator to get my calcium up over 100 ppm and balance the sulfate:chloride ratio. As for how the pumpkin affected pH, I have no idea. Probably didn't make much of a difference though I never tested the pH during the mash.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:08 PM   #29
freudhawk
Recipes 

Quote:
I let any toasted malt rest for at least 2 weeks before use in a paper bag. I've never tried it before that but I have heard of some people not waiting and not getting any harsh flavors. But I'll still let it rest just in case.

I probably just used palmer's water calculator to get my calcium up over 100 ppm and balance the sulfate:chloride ratio. As for how the pumpkin affected pH, I have no idea. Probably didn't make much of a difference though I never tested the pH during the mash.

Great. Do you think Maris Otter would be a good substitute for the Golden Promise? Would you adjust the recipe at all (maybe add a tiny bit of Crystal 20 to give some sweetness lost from not using Golden Promise)?

Thanks for the info and help. I'm really excited to try this recipe and I'll toast the grain tonight so I can brew in a few weeks.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:19 PM   #30
KingBrianI
Recipes 

I'd substitute the MO for the GP and not worry about it. I doubt anyone could tell a difference between beers made with GP and MO without tasting them side by side.

Quick Reply