Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Samhain Pumpkin Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2010, 02:47 AM   #11
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
that might just be the prettiest pint of beer I've ever seen - I can practically taste it (though on second glance, is that really only 12 SRM?)

getting my recipe organized for my first pumpkin ale...I'm going to use your recipe as inspiration, but in the spirit of experimentation and individuality, it is going to be considerably different in the end...wish me luck!
Good luck on your brew! The recipe calculates out to 12 SRM but I'm sure the color contribution of the pumpkin added something to it. How much, I couldn't say. I actually saved a few of these from last season to try this autumn to see how they aged. I can't wait for the weather to cool down a bit so I can try one.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2010, 11:09 PM   #12
BmillaTheBrewzilla
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am totally brewing this within the next week or two. Great looking recipe. And I love how you always post pictures with your recipes. When they look as delicious as this one looks, it makes me want to run out to get the ingredients RIGHT NOW.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:57 AM   #13
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Haha, I'm glad you like the pictures. I'm disappointed when I click on a recipe and it doesn't have a picture so I try to include them in all my recipes. Though I'm pretty sure my barleywine doesn't have a picture. Whenever I try to photograph it, it doesn't really turn out since it's a deep reddish brown.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:48 PM   #14
BmillaTheBrewzilla
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, I have been wanting to brew a pumpkin ale soon so it will be ready for October... in my searching around, the picture of this one was the clincher. I have a couple questions as a prepare to brew...

Do you use ground cinnamon or cinnamon sticks? I read one thread where someone was happier with their results using sticks.

And... what do you think the effect would be of replacing the molasses with some other fermentables (maybe just some more 2 row)? I'm still pretty new to brewing- six months- and I've never used molasses before. I actually have some sitting in my pantry, so I'll probably use it... but I'm just curious as to what qualities it adds to a brew.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:38 PM   #15
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmillaTheBrewzilla View Post
Yeah, I have been wanting to brew a pumpkin ale soon so it will be ready for October... in my searching around, the picture of this one was the clincher. I have a couple questions as a prepare to brew...

Do you use ground cinnamon or cinnamon sticks? I read one thread where someone was happier with their results using sticks.

And... what do you think the effect would be of replacing the molasses with some other fermentables (maybe just some more 2 row)? I'm still pretty new to brewing- six months- and I've never used molasses before. I actually have some sitting in my pantry, so I'll probably use it... but I'm just curious as to what qualities it adds to a brew.
I read in the other thread too that someone didn't like powdered cinnamon. I've never had a problem with, nor have other people I know who have used it. I've used it in a couple beers and they always go crystal clear and have a very nice cinnamon flavor.

As for the molasses, it helps to fill out the flavor a bit, and it mixes with the spices to give a bit of that "pumpkin pie" character.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:24 AM   #16
munklunk
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

This is the pumpkin recipe I've been looking for forever. If only it would start to cool down up here in Chicago to get me in the Fall mood...

Old 07-27-2010, 03:08 PM   #17
BmillaTheBrewzilla
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I brewed this up yesterday and it smelled wonderful. Once I added the spices at the end of the boil, it really did remind me of a liquid pumpkin pie. Munklunk, I know it has been hot here... but this is one that will need to age in the bottle for a bit. So brew it now, and then it will be ready when you're in that fall mood.

One thing I was surprised about when I took my O.G. was that the pumpkin didn't seem to add anything there. It definitely added color and I'm sure it will contribute to the flavor, but I figured some amount of fermentable sugars would come out of all that pumpkin. No matter though, I can tell it is going to be a delicious fall beer. KingB- thanks for the recipe! I'll be sure to post a picture of the finished product.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:23 PM   #18
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmillaTheBrewzilla View Post
One thing I was surprised about when I took my O.G. was that the pumpkin didn't seem to add anything there. It definitely added color and I'm sure it will contribute to the flavor, but I figured some amount of fermentable sugars would come out of all that pumpkin.
I noticed the exact same thing about pumpkin beers and I think I actually posted it in that big pumpkin beer thread. It definitely does something to the flavor and mouthfeel though.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:07 AM   #19
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

did you find that the pumpkin absorbed more (or less?) water than the grain? I'm putting my process together and trying to figure out how much water I am going to need and thought my standard 0.5 qt/lb absorption rate might need adjusting.

My Beer Cellar

Old 07-28-2010, 10:39 AM   #20
KingBrianI
Recipes 

The pumpkin will absorb less water than the grain. It is already pretty wet, and after vorlaufing and sparging, it is just a thick mat of pulp on top of the grain that is pretty well drained of moisture.

Quick Reply