Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Samhain Pumpkin Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2010, 04:29 PM   #111
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootay View Post
planned on making this tomorrow but just realized i forgot to add british caramalt to my order. any substitutes for this?
Any light crystal malt will work.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 04:48 PM   #112
munklunk
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandalG View Post
When do you add the syrup and is it something you just get at the grocery store. There's been a few beers I've been wanting to add a slight nutty taste too.
I personally just use Hazelnut flavored coffee syrup. Caribou Coffee brand I believe, but any brand will be fine. Note that I have never used hazelnut EXTRACT, just the syrup which comes out perfect.

I alway add it to either the bottling bucket or the actual keg as I'm transferring the beer after the secondary. I usually add a half ounce at a time, then stir/shake and taste. I keep adding until I'm cool with the flavor. This is what I did with the Pumpkin but I also added a touch of vanilla.

"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post

I know one thing... if there's a depression and beer companies go out of business... I'm selling my homebrew.
Huckleberry Brewing

Pride of the Northside

Old 09-24-2010, 12:51 PM   #113
firefly765
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

A couple / few questions:

1.) The toasted malt. Is this it? http://morebeer.com/view_product/17119/102155/British_Maris_Otter_Pale_Malt

2.) What is the procedure of toasting? I buy pre milled grains. I guess I'd have to buy non milled the use a rolling pin?

3.) Are Cascade hops a good substitute?

4.) The British Caramalt. I'm using this: http://morebeer.com/view_product/17140/102156/Carastan%C2%AE_Malt
Is that OK? I can't find it in Beersmith. So i just added it w/ its SRM.

Thanks. The recipe looks great!

Old 09-24-2010, 05:57 PM   #114
Simps
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Is that Blackstrap Molasses? I am assuming no otherwise you would have typed it, but I had to ask.

Also thanks for making this public! I haven't made it yet but I can see from the replies it must be killer. Someday I hope I can post something to pay this recipie exchange back.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:27 PM   #115
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly765 View Post
A couple / few questions:

1.) The toasted malt. Is this it? http://morebeer.com/view_product/17119/102155/British_Maris_Otter_Pale_Malt

2.) What is the procedure of toasting? I buy pre milled grains. I guess I'd have to buy non milled the use a rolling pin?

3.) Are Cascade hops a good substitute?

4.) The British Caramalt. I'm using this: http://morebeer.com/view_product/17140/102156/Carastan%C2%AE_Malt
Is that OK? I can't find it in Beersmith. So i just added it w/ its SRM.

Thanks. The recipe looks great!
1. Yep, that's the stuff. Although any pale ale malt would work.

2. You'll have to toast the whole grain then crush it with a rolling pin right before mashing.

3. Since it's only a bittering addition cascade would work, but really I'd be more comfortable with a "cleaner" hop being used just in case any flavor makes it through.

4. The carastan will work fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simps View Post
Is that Blackstrap Molasses? I am assuming no otherwise you would have typed it, but I had to ask.

Also thanks for making this public! I haven't made it yet but I can see from the replies it must be killer. Someday I hope I can post something to pay this recipie exchange back.
I used regular molasses though blackstrap would work too.

mjohnson Likes This 
Old 09-24-2010, 08:54 PM   #116
firefly765
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

[QUOTE=KingBrianI;2297916]1. Yep, that's the stuff. Although any pale ale malt would work.

2. You'll have to toast the whole grain then crush it with a rolling pin right before mashing.

Thanks for the reply. I think i read in the thread about letting the toasted grain "rest" or "age" or something like that for 2 weeks. and also wetting the grain before toasting. Could you explain, please.
Thanks sooooo much for the help.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:10 PM   #117
KingBrianI
Recipes 

[quote=firefly765;2297975]

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly765 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I think i read in the thread about letting the toasted grain "rest" or "age" or something like that for 2 weeks. and also wetting the grain before toasting. Could you explain, please.
Thanks sooooo much for the help.
It is said that when you toast malt, it can have "harsh" flavors unless it is allowed to rest for a couple weeks. That allows that harsh flavors to dissipate and you're left with only the yummy toasty malt flavors. So after toasting the malt, toss it in a paper bag and let it sit for 2 weeks prior to use. Having said that though, I have heard of people using the toasted malt immediately after toasting and not noticing any harsh flavors. So if you are in a hurry, the rest period may not be necessary.

I never wet the grain for this recipe before toasting, I just toast it dry. Wetting the malt before toasting is a valid technique though, and it produces slightly different flavors when done that way. It's not necessary for this recipe, but it may be something you want to play around with. Check out the following link for more info. http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter20-4.html

Old 09-25-2010, 02:54 AM   #118
bad coffee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 422 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Brewed today. But I'm betting it's not going to be the same beer.

Same grain bill, used Cara Munich for the caramalt.
Didn't have molasses in the fridge like I thought.

Ended up with 4 gallons @1.040 I'm thinking it was my mill setting, I haven't checked it the year and a half I've had it.

Pitching Denny's 50 tomorrow am, we'll see how it is in 3 weeks.

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
Wtf was chasing you for an hour? Buy a gun already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I'm a meat hunter. PKU.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:53 AM   #119
shroomzofdoom
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Pretty much followed your recipe but made a few minor substitutions:
-1/2 lb wheat
-1lb Carapils
-Split vanilla bean in secondary
-Safale S04

Mashed a bit lower: 153/154

Didn't have time to rest the roasted malt so just used it the following day. No harshness detected on my end.

I really wanted to showcase the nice color on this beer through the head so I used Capapils. Once on the gas for a week the head a nice tan/orange hue. Going to be a hit during the football game tomorrow, I am sure!

A very tasty beverage....great recipe. Thanks for posting this.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:13 AM   #120
mbtech
Recipes 

Can someone enlighten me on where to find allspice?

Quick Reply