Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Punkin' Ale

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012, 12:00 AM   #961
deepcdan99
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ludlow
Posts: 617
Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by cublue View Post
I am curious, are the 2 packs of yeast necessary? I have never had to use two before.
I pitched my yeast the same as all my other brews, came out fine with one pack of 1056.
__________________
deepcdan99 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #962
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Reno_eNVy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Reno
Posts: 6,267
Liked 200 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcdan99

I pitched my yeast the same as all my other brews, came out fine with one pack of 1056.
That's liquid yeast (which you should do a starter with, especially higher gravity beers.) In the first post I recommended two packs of dry yeast because it's what the mr malty calculator have me as proper pitching rate.
__________________
Primary: air and sadness =(

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)


LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!
Reno_eNVy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 11:39 PM   #963
k47k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 472
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default


Brewed this on 9/24. Drinking it today, pretty tasty, i drastically reduced the amount of spices, they are barely noticeable in the final beer, which is fine with me. i lightly rim the glass with cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and sugar for those who want it to taste like pumpkin pie.

when i went to keg, i opened the primary and it smelled like someone farted in it. i was worried the beer was ruined, however the finished beer has zero fart taste or aroma.

__________________
k47k is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 12:46 AM   #964
kzimmer0817
Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kzimmer0817's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Athens
Posts: 268
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by k47k View Post
Brewed this on 9/24. Drinking it today, pretty tasty, i drastically reduced the amount of spices, they are barely noticeable in the final beer, which is fine with me. i lightly rim the glass with cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and sugar for those who want it to taste like pumpkin pie
What was your F.G. I brewed this on the 23rd and pitched 2 pks of US-05 on the evening of the 24th.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/my-f...-chill-356409/

I took a sample today. It tastes good, but I'm not sure how a good pumpkin beer should taste. There was less spice than I remember in the previous sample.

Gravity is 1.020 which is the same as it was on day 7 (today is day 18). My O.G. was 1.066. There has been no audible activity in the blow off tube for over a week, although I have seen a number of tiny bubbles collected around the tube in the water bottle. I have kept the temp around 65-66. I will have to leave it for an extra week in the primary since I will be going out of town for a week beginning on Monday (day 21). I will transfer to secondary when I get back and bottle it a few days later, on my next day off.

I decided to put a small blow dryer into the freezer to bring the temp up to 68 to see if the yeast will do any more work to bring the gravity down.

I hope this is going to be OK. I'm surprised that the gravity isn't any lower.

Keith
kzimmer0817 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 12:50 AM   #965
k47k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 472
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default


OG: 1.062
FG: 1.012

fermented @ 62 for a few days and then ramped up to 68 or so.

your temp looks fine, perhaps you mashed higher?

__________________
k47k is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #966
krzewinskibe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: rising sun
Posts: 25
Default


Mine is coming out a bit dry....OG 1.064, FG (currently 15 days in primary) 1.006

tastes pretty good though.

__________________
krzewinskibe is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #967
Lgaddy44
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Lgaddy44's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 306
Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default


Got my mash goin now, totally missed my mash temp. Sittin at about 145 now, and I'm not too happy. I tried to add another 3/4 gal of hot water (about 170), didn't help. I'm just gonna ride it out I suppose. Probably finish very dry as well, but I'm gonna add some Vanilla Butter and Nut extract when I keg, so hopefully it'll be decent.

I followed my usual procedure and I usually hit my mash temps a lot better. I think the added pumpkin threw me off. First time trying a pumpkin. We'll see how it goes.

__________________
GO BLUE!!

Maverick Moon Miner Brewing
Lgaddy44 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #968
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Reno_eNVy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Reno
Posts: 6,267
Liked 200 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by k47k View Post
Brewed this on 9/24. Drinking it today, pretty tasty, i drastically reduced the amount of spices, they are barely noticeable in the final beer, which is fine with me. i lightly rim the glass with cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and sugar for those who want it to taste like pumpkin pie.

when i went to keg, i opened the primary and it smelled like someone farted in it. i was worried the beer was ruined, however the finished beer has zero fart taste or aroma.
Well I'm glad there's no more farty smell. As far as reducing the spices and rimming your glass, that totally works if you want to fine-tune the spice amounts to your exact taste. Well done

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzimmer0817 View Post
Gravity is 1.020 which is the same as it was on day 7 (today is day 18). My O.G. was 1.066. There has been no audible activity in the blow off tube for over a week, although I have seen a number of tiny bubbles collected around the tube in the water bottle. I have kept the temp around 65-66. I will have to leave it for an extra week in the primary since I will be going out of town for a week beginning on Monday (day 21). I will transfer to secondary when I get back and bottle it a few days later, on my next day off.

I decided to put a small blow dryer into the freezer to bring the temp up to 68 to see if the yeast will do any more work to bring the gravity down.

I hope this is going to be OK. I'm surprised that the gravity isn't any lower.

Keith
Meh the yeast will do just fine at mid-60's. But yeah, FG of 1.020 isn't too unusual when you mash high (like 156-158.) It's only 2 points higher than my usual expected FG. And giving it another week is a good idea. I always do a minimum 4 week primary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k47k View Post
OG: 1.062
FG: 1.012

fermented @ 62 for a few days and then ramped up to 68 or so.

your temp looks fine, perhaps you mashed higher?
Hey if it tastes good then a lower FG is fine. Giving up body for more alcohol isn't exactly the worst thing in the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzewinskibe View Post
Mine is coming out a bit dry....OG 1.064, FG (currently 15 days in primary) 1.006

tastes pretty good though.
Glad it tastes good but dang that's low. Did your mash temps drop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgaddy44 View Post
Got my mash goin now, totally missed my mash temp. Sittin at about 145 now, and I'm not too happy. I tried to add another 3/4 gal of hot water (about 170), didn't help. I'm just gonna ride it out I suppose. Probably finish very dry as well, but I'm gonna add some Vanilla Butter and Nut extract when I keg, so hopefully it'll be decent.

I followed my usual procedure and I usually hit my mash temps a lot better. I think the added pumpkin threw me off. First time trying a pumpkin. We'll see how it goes.
Oh wow that's low. Well you can always add some lactose to the boil or before bottling/kegging... or whenever, really. Otherwise you can just let it ride and I'm sure it'll be fine. You might need to give it a few extra weeks to condition in bottles/keg to make sure any alcohol heat mellows out.

In the future, see one of my previous posts below that details my trick to making sure mash temps are correct when adding pumpkin:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy View Post
That can definitely happen. My trick is to put the strike water in the mash tun (usually a little hotter than necessary), add the soaked rice hulls, then add the pumpkin. That way the water might still be a little hot but can be easily remedied by stirring to bring the temp down. It's a lot easier than trying to bring the temp back up with hot water.

Then I dough-in once the temp is right.
__________________
Primary: air and sadness =(

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)


LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!
Reno_eNVy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #969
cublue
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Denver
Posts: 103
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default


Well, I got this brew in the mashtun as I type. I only had one large and one small can of pumpkin (thought I had 2 small).

To make sure I hit my temp, I added pumpkin first, took the temp, then adjusted up and hit ~ 156.5, so I am happy.
About 30 mins till I get to start draining. Smells good, but doesn't it always!

Hoping this to be bottled and ready for thanksgiving. Also hoping this to be the first beer (ever, not just mine) that the SWMBO likes.

__________________
cublue is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #970
cublue
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Denver
Posts: 103
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default


Also, has anyone noticed that the 5 min hop addition adds anything noticeable? Just curious.... Also considering moving the spice addition to 5 minutes to retain a little more flavor and aroma.

__________________
cublue is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Punkin Spice mrkristofo Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer 0 01-24-2008 09:25 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS