Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Punkin' Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #921
Chris7687
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 15

The water on the towel is evaporating off... swamp cooler. The 9/15 still gives a decent "burp" every now and then. The 9/23 is still burping once every other minute. I'll take a gravity reading tonight.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #922
Medevac_Chief
Recipes 

Ingredients have been ordered for round 2. Doing an all grain BIAB this time. Hopefully it turns out better than it did last year.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #923
krzewinskibe
Recipes 

Note to all....blowoff tube is MANDATORY for this. After day 2, lid of my 6.5 gal bucket blew off. crazy active fermentation

Old 10-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #924
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Just sampled this last night after 7 days in primary, 2 days diacetyl rest (Lager yeast), and so far one day cold-crashing...I wasn't too impressed. Maybe it will be better after it clears and conditions, because it was like funky, spicy, not much to like. No signs of infection, but I'm not sure if the pumpkin contributed this flavor or what I was tasting.

Anyone try this one "young" and have similar opinions? Does it condition-out well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-05-2012, 12:52 AM   #925
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
Just sampled this last night after 7 days in primary, 2 days diacetyl rest (Lager yeast), and so far one day cold-crashing...I wasn't too impressed. Maybe it will be better after it clears and conditions, because it was like funky, spicy, not much to like. No signs of infection, but I'm not sure if the pumpkin contributed this flavor or what I was tasting.

Anyone try this one "young" and have similar opinions? Does it condition-out well?
Heh yeah never brewed this with a lager yeast so I'm sure there isn't an exact translation. But whichever species of yeast you use, 9 days isn't nearly enough time to get a good idea of what to expect. It's strong, bready, and spiced so there are a lot of variables that need to naturally mellow and marry together. When I make this I don't even taste it until about 4 weeks in primary.

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 10-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #926
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy View Post
Heh yeah never brewed this with a lager yeast so I'm sure there isn't an exact translation. But whichever species of yeast you use, 9 days isn't nearly enough time to get a good idea of what to expect. It's strong, bready, and spiced so there are a lot of variables that need to naturally mellow and marry together. When I make this I don't even taste it until about 4 weeks in primary.
Yeah, I don't get in the habit of rushing beers, but I also tend to make less complex pales and IPA's, blondes, etc. My method thus-far has always been to get to FG, give it a few more days, then crash it good and keg it. Most basic ales don't get much better than this, especially if you want to maintain the hop aroma.

I'm probably going to leave them cold conditioning in primary for a few weeks if I can keep my hands off of them. That or I may secondary first then lager it for a few weeks. I'm thinking some stuff needs to drop out so the beer mellows.

I used the lager yeast to attempt to get higher FG because my overnight mashes (even at higher temps) tend to attenuate very far down. Add to that I had a leak in valve on my MLT which caused all sorts of scrambling and I did end up a bit low on mash temp...I ended up at 1.008 which is way dry for this beer. Good thing my version has tons of Vienna in it to maintain some malt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #927
aberry
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I bottled this last night after 4 weeks in primary. Sample was good, a lot of complex flavors, but maybe not as much spice as I had anticipated. I'm curious does anyone garnish these when serving with a dash of pumpkin pie spice? I think it would give it a good look and help aroma/flavor. I'm not sure the finished product will need it, bit curious if anyone has tried it?

Old 10-07-2012, 12:40 AM   #928
fifthcircle
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberry
I bottled this last night after 4 weeks in primary. Sample was good, a lot of complex flavors, but maybe not as much spice as I had anticipated. I'm curious does anyone garnish these when serving with a dash of pumpkin pie spice? I think it would give it a good look and help aroma/flavor. I'm not sure the finished product will need it, bit curious if anyone has tried it?
I plan on garnishing with bourbon whipped cream :-D

Old 10-07-2012, 02:54 AM   #929
Demon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberry View Post
Give it time. Kegged mine two weeks ago and thought it didn't have enough spice. Pulled a couple pints yesterday and the spice is much better.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:03 AM   #930
troyh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle

I plan on garnishing with bourbon whipped cream :-D
That idea is so good it can't be legal.

My batch completely dropped the spices for a week, I waited and they came back a little, not as good as it was but much more drinkable. But there's nothing bourbon (and cream) can't fix.

Quick Reply