Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Punkin' Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012, 05:08 AM   #601
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 190 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 59

That will actually work out quite well. I'd recommend doing it!

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #602
mttfrog13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I changed up the extract recipe a bit. DFH is traditionally very balanced (I love how balanced their 90 minute and 120 minute are) but having never had the punkin' ale, and this being my first pumpkin beer brew, I'd rather start off lower and work my way up to more ingredients rather than over power it on my first try.

6 lbs light DME
3/4 lb Brown Sugar
1/2 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
1/2 lb Special Roast
45.00 oz Pumpkin, Canned (Boil 60.0 min)

1 oz Hallertau (4.0% AA 60.0 min)

1 Whirlfloc tablet

Yeast - Fermentis S-04

1/2 tbsp pumpkin spice

I backed off the pumpkin a bit, down the 3 small cans (about 42oz) rather than 2 large ones. Also, I'm going down to .75lb of brown sugar rather than 1lb and only using 1oz of Hallertau. Lastly I'm using 6lbs of DME rather than 8lbs of LME which should lower the abv a bit. I've never had a dfh punkin' ale, but the only bad things I've heard about it are that it's to big for a pumpkin ale, so I'm backing off of everything a bit, trying to bring it down to about 6% abv.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:13 AM   #603
brewmaster12
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mttfrog13
I changed up the extract recipe a bit. DFH is traditionally very balanced (I love how balanced their 90 minute and 120 minute are) but having never had the punkin' ale, and this being my first pumpkin beer brew, I'd rather start off lower and work my way up to more ingredients rather than over power it on my first try.

6 lbs light DME
3/4 lb Brown Sugar
1/2 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
1/2 lb Special Roast
45.00 oz Pumpkin, Canned (Boil 60.0 min)

1 oz Hallertau (4.0% AA 60.0 min)

1 Whirlfloc tablet

Yeast - Fermentis S-04

1/2 tbsp pumpkin spice

I backed off the pumpkin a bit, down the 3 small cans (about 42oz) rather than 2 large ones. Also, I'm going down to .75lb of brown sugar rather than 1lb and only using 1oz of Hallertau. Lastly I'm using 6lbs of DME rather than 8lbs of LME which should lower the abv a bit. I've never had a dfh punkin' ale, but the only bad things I've heard about it are that it's to big for a pumpkin ale, so I'm backing off of everything a bit, trying to bring it down to about 6% abv.
Who said its too big for a pumpkin ale? DFH Punkin is my favorite fall release and it's the boldness of the pumpkin and spice balanced by the caramel, raisin, and alcohol flavors combined that make it great.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:25 AM   #604
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmaster12 View Post
Who said its too big for a pumpkin ale? DFH Punkin is my favorite fall release and it's the boldness of the pumpkin and spice balanced by the caramel, raisin, and alcohol flavors combined that make it great.
This!

Don't get me wrong mttfrog3, your recipe looks tasty. I just like my special seasonals to be a little bold. And the base recipe doesn't taste as strong as it is... which isn't terribly strong for a veggie/spice ale.

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!

Old 08-15-2012, 03:47 AM   #605
Waterboy42
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My own recipe is near identical, and goes from 1.072 to 1.008ish everytime, with a small backboost of lactose. I have had nothing but rave reviews. Love the early fall warmer imho.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:58 AM   #606
mttfrog13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmaster12 View Post
If I had this beer I'm sure it would be my favorite fall seasonal as well but I've literally only had two pumpkin ales before, Sam Adams, and Smuttynose. How does dfh compare?

Anyway, it's more that I'm just nervous about trying to brew this with having never brewed a pumpkin ale. Also I've read that it's good to use a yeast starter with higher gravity beers which I won't be doing.

Like I said, dfh can make awesome high abv balanced beer, but myself, only on my 2nd 5 gallon batch will probably mess something up. I'd just rather start here, and then increase either the pumpkin, spice, brown sugar or extract on my 2 attempt.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #607
yock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the recipe Reno. I'm doing a partial-mash version this weekend. Read EVERY post on here to get tips. Will definitely bake the pumpkin, and then put it in a bag and steep it along with my other grains. Not going to boil the pumpkin. I'm going to use Wyeast 1056 - the smackpack - and only one......do you think that's ok? I have some yeast nutrient stuff at home, should I add a little to my yeast when I pitch it? I'm gathering from the posts that one pack of yeast isn't enough. I don't have time to get more so that's why I asked about the yeast nutrient stuff. Not even sure why I had this stuff at home, and what it is. Haven't seen any females posting on this thread about brewing Punkin Ale.. wonder if I'm the first???? Brewing DFH Indian brown ale tonight.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:33 PM   #608
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Welcome to HBT! I'm glad your first post is about my recipe

One smack pack will work but isn't ideal. If you have a bit of extra extract you can make a yeast starter and get the proper pitching rate.

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!

Old 08-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #609
Onlooker
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy View Post
One smack pack will work but isn't ideal. If you have a bit of extra extract you can make a yeast starter and get the proper pitching rate.
Yes yock, definitely make a starter for this. Your results will no doubt be improved. And it's not hard, so don't let it intimidate you.

Just find a big jar of some sort and mix up some wort using 100 g/liter (about 3.5 oz or 1/2 cup), boil the wort for about 15 min, cool, and then dump the yeast in (using good sanitization practices, of course). And then shake it periodically; the more the better. About 24 hrs later put it in the fridge and let it settle out for about 12-24 hrs.

Then you can decant off the fermented wort, leaving just a bit to mix with the yeast so you can pour it in your fermenter. Voila!

As for the yeast nutrient: add about 1/2 tsp to your boil in the last 10 min. It will ensure good yeast growth.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:32 PM   #610
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Onlooker, thanks for adding detail! I sent my last message from my phone and had to cut it short. Great run-down!

And, as per Mr. Malty, you'll be fine with a 1.5 - 2.0 liter starter.

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!

Quick Reply