Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Punkin' Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2011, 06:15 AM   #501
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I'm sorry to hear your batches didn't turn out great.

Faseel, interesting you mention water... I hadn't thought about that before. A chloride to sulfate ratio favoring sulfate can increase the apparent bitterness of hops... I wonder if that makes spices seem sour.

If it helps for reference, I adjusted my water chemistry to enhance maltiness (i.e. higher ratio of chlorides than sulfates)

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #502
KCBigDog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faseel View Post
Well, im not sure on your process but mine came out sort of the same way. Mild nose, sharp almost sour like quality. However I realized my OG was a bit higher than the recipe called for. So I've drank 3 so far, 1 at 3 weeks, same results you speak of, another at 6 weeks, mellower, more spice in the noise still some sour like qualities, 8 weeks, very nice noise, hey, I can now start to pick up the pumpkin smell...yea! Still just a hint of sour, but very nice drink. I think Im coming into my 12th week and I expect it will be great. For me I need to take my water hardness down a bit and keep that gravity in check for faster results.
I had similar thoughts, as my abv is higher also at 7.15%. However the 'sourness' is unexpected. I've brewed many high gravity beers, and never had this flavor characteristic.

I've got several beer snob friends and homebrewers, and they all think it's strange also. Almost lambic like, but no sign of infection on this batch or any other I have brewed.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:59 PM   #503
FalkyBrew
Recipes 

My ABV I think was 7.4 but I had no off flavors or sourness. I think i finish at 1.010. Defiantly try this recipe again though. When you get it right on your next batch you'll be happy. I wish I had made 10 gallons because my 5 gallons went to fast.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:07 PM   #504
Waterboy42
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

This beer only gets better with age. My first batch that was ready on Halloween, had 23 days in the primary @ 70 degrees. Second batch was fermented @ 68 for 21 days, and then cold conditioned in the primary from 68 to 52 degrees over the past two weeks, then cold crashed for 12 hours @ 36. Bottled yesterday, and the sample was very much better than the first batch. The spices just need time to mellow, and cold conditioning, if you can, helps imho.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:12 PM   #505
Waterboy42
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Forgot to mention, I mashed @ 154 the second time, and @ 152 the first

Old 12-15-2011, 10:44 PM   #506
brianbrau
Recipes 

Exactly one month later I just transferred to a corny and took a gravity reading. My final gravity was 1.015. I'm not noticing a sour taste like the others are talking about but I only used 1tbl spoon of spice. It smells and taste like high gravity beer (upwards of 6.7% abv) I'll check it again in a week or two with some carbonation in it.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:57 PM   #507
Faseel
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBigDog

I had similar thoughts, as my abv is higher also at 7.15%. However the 'sourness' is unexpected. I've brewed many high gravity beers, and never had this flavor characteristic.

I've got several beer snob friends and homebrewers, and they all think it's strange also. Almost lambic like, but no sign of infection on this batch or any other I have brewed.
I see what you mean. I think that the higher abv merely brings out that flavor in the younger spiced beer, and that it should mellow over time. I think for me, I should have cut my hard water more. From my tap, im at like 175 to 200 caco3 ppm (alkalinity ). Now I used brew'n water to balance more to the middle instead of malty. Its initial composition felt like the results you would get from a young sasion. Which to me means I was still to hard.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:58 AM   #508
KCBigDog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I had a buddy try it tonight, and he said this was so sour he could only take a few drinks. My batch of this is TERRIBLE and it depresses me. First batch I have made that isn't great.

What could have caused it to be so damn sour? I've never made a sour beer before, and there were no signs of infection.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:23 AM   #509
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBigDog
I had a buddy try it tonight, and he said this was so sour he could only take a few drinks. My batch of this is TERRIBLE and it depresses me. First batch I have made that isn't great.

What could have caused it to be so damn sour? I've never made a sour beer before, and there were no signs of infection.
So strange.... I've never had that happen

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 12-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #510
C2H6O
Primary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:

I brewed my batch on 10.8 and it has now been conditioning in the bottle for ~9weeks and the green/sour taste i had is finally beginning to dissapate. I am bringing a 6er for xmas to get some opinions but I think 2-3 weeks it will good. Sometimes they just need time.
Bottled:
Primary1: Hop Sun v2.0
Primary2: Air
Secondary: Air

You cant make chicken soup out of chicken Sh!t but I still try

Quick Reply