Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Punkin' Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2011, 04:46 PM   #491
millaj92
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbrau View Post
So im brewing a smoked nut brown and getting a stuck sparge again after first runnings ...its gotta be my grain mill that's doing it my crushed grain is kinda floury.
It very well could be too fine of a crush. You mention "after first runnings"...are you batch sparging? If so, does it run off just fine during the first run, then dump in hot water, try to drain second runnings and nothing? If this is the case, it sounds it's the compaction of the grain bed by letting it run dry that's causing the problem. You could try adding some hot water before letting the grain bed go completely dry, or you could try one of a few continuous sparge methods.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2011, 12:07 AM   #492
brianbrau
Recipes 

Yes I batch sparge. I think the grain is over milled resulting in that tight compact grain bed and clogging up. What gap is your mill set at and what kind of mill do you use millaj92?

Old 11-25-2011, 04:17 AM   #493
Waterboy42
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy
Ooooo, okay this may cause some debate.

But I've left beer on the yeast cake for about 6 months without this "autolysis" off-flavor everybody talks about. I call shenanigans.

Also, a 2-3 month primary won't slow carbing too much. Even when your beer in crystal clear there is still a ton of yeast in suspension.

If anybody is having a problem with carbing, hold your concerns until the bottles have been sitting at 70*F for at least four weeks. It's usually three weeks as the standard minimum time but this is a higher OG beer so it most likely will take longer than a normal beer to condition.
+1 on this. The higher gravity. The longer the conditioning time. If I have a lengthy fermentation period, I generally give the beer at least four to five weeks to condition, if not more.

My porter at about the same gravity as this brew, has a 5 week primary/secondary ferment. It doesn't ever reach a finished carb level in under 5 weeks in the bottle. So, RDWAHAHB.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #494
infinigtr
Recipes 

I brewed this back in October. I just started drinking it about a week ago, and it is very yummy! This was my second brew ever. My OG reading was 1.070 and it finished at 1.015 (8.2% ABV according to my hydrometer). I let it ferment for three weeks @ ~70*F and it carbed for I think two weeks (keg @ like 10 psi). I am really enjoying this beer!

Old 12-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #495
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinigtr View Post
I brewed this back in October. I just started drinking it about a week ago, and it is very yummy! This was my second brew ever. My OG reading was 1.070 and it finished at 1.015 (8.2% ABV according to my hydrometer). I let it ferment for three weeks @ ~70*F and it carbed for I think two weeks (keg @ like 10 psi). I am really enjoying this beer!
Great to hear! I'm glad it worked out for you and that this is your first post! Welcome to HBT

70 is a weeee bit high for this style unless you use a yeast that can contribute good flavors at high temperatures (i.e. belgians.) What yeast strain did you use? I mean, it ultimately doesn't matter if you enjoy what you created!

And by my calculations you're looking at 7.22% ABV.

But again, welcome to the obsession.

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 12-01-2011, 07:40 PM   #496
infinigtr
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy View Post
Great to hear! I'm glad it worked out for you and that this is your first post! Welcome to HBT

70 is a weeee bit high for this style unless you use a yeast that can contribute good flavors at high temperatures (i.e. belgians.) What yeast strain did you use? I mean, it ultimately doesn't matter if you enjoy what you created!

And by my calculations you're looking at 7.22% ABV.

But again, welcome to the obsession.
Thanks!

I used WLP008 It was the closest thing I could find at my LHBS that was in stock.

Ok, so 7.22% lol...I probably read my chart wrong. But yeah, I like what I created! And my beer snob buddies liked it too, so that's good enough for me!

Old 12-01-2011, 11:29 PM   #497
federaleigh
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I brewed this 2x this Fall. The first time I used US 05 at 70F for 21 days in primary and the second time I used Wyeast 1056 at 70F for 21 days in primary. Both batches were awesome. Many thanks for this recipe!

Old 12-02-2011, 02:35 AM   #498
millaj92
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbrau View Post
Yes I batch sparge. I think the grain is over milled resulting in that tight compact grain bed and clogging up. What gap is your mill set at and what kind of mill do you use millaj92?
Not sure. I use the mill at my LHBS. I would ask them but I doubt they would know. I love all those guys and they have years and years of great brewing experience but none of them are real technical. Besides, I'm pretty sure that mill/hopper was set up about 25 years ago so I wouldn't expect anyone to remember. I would like to eventually get my own mill, but at this point I've got other things I'd rather spend money on. There are lots of threads on here about the right size so get to searchin!

Old 12-15-2011, 01:55 AM   #499
KCBigDog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Damn, after reading all the great reviews I'm bummed that my batch didn't turn out well. This is the first batch in 17 that I think I'm going to have to dump.

Everyone that tries it uses the word "sour". Not sure what happened, but I'm 99.9% sure that there wasn't infection or a reason for it to be sour. I used US05 yeast.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:35 AM   #500
Faseel
Recipes 

Well, im not sure on your process but mine came out sort of the same way. Mild nose, sharp almost sour like quality. However I realized my OG was a bit higher than the recipe called for. So I've drank 3 so far, 1 at 3 weeks, same results you speak of, another at 6 weeks, mellower, more spice in the noise still some sour like qualities, 8 weeks, very nice noise, hey, I can now start to pick up the pumpkin smell...yea! Still just a hint of sour, but very nice drink. I think Im coming into my 12th week and I expect it will be great. For me I need to take my water hardness down a bit and keep that gravity in check for faster results.

Quick Reply