Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Punkin' Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #481
Medevac_Chief
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds1 View Post
I had this in bottles for two weeks and tested one this past Saturday. I tasted the same slight sour notes, almost like a cider. I let this beer sit in primary for 4 weeks before bottling and then another two weeks in bottles. I'm going to give it more time and hope that it disappears. If it doesn't this is going to be my first batch that hate.
i just opened a bottle of mine it also had no carb. and tasted a little sour..something like a cider is almost spot on. mine sat in primary for 2 weeks, and bottles for another 2 weeks...should i give it more time and hopefully the flavors mellow out

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2011, 08:07 PM   #482
brianbrau
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by millaj92

Yeah I know a lot of people that use that set-up and have no problems. I was just suggesting things that might be causing his stuck sparge problem.
So im brewing a smoked nut brown and getting a stuck sparge again after first runnings ...its gotta be my grain mill that's doing it my crushed grain is kinda floury.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #483
brianbrau
Recipes 

When my neighbor gets home I will mil spec it.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:13 PM   #484
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Could the sour/cidery taste be how you are perceiving the spices? Have you done a beer where spices go in the boil and there are no post-fermentation spice additions? It changes it a little bit and I've had people tell me it was a bit sour but we were able to deduce that what they were tasting was the spices that had gone through fermentation and the only word they could use to describe it was "sour".

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 11-23-2011, 08:54 PM   #485
brianbrau
Recipes 

Alright is measured. 041 its a cranknstein 2s how do I increase the gap to. 045?

Old 11-24-2011, 04:37 AM   #486
brianbrau
Recipes 

About the long primaries... could maby all the carbing issues correlate with the long time in primary and the yeast going dormant? Also when does or how long before autolysis factors into off flavors?

Old 11-24-2011, 05:16 AM   #487
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ooooo, okay this may cause some debate.

But I've left beer on the yeast cake for about 6 months without this "autolysis" off-flavor everybody talks about. I call shenanigans.

Also, a 2-3 month primary won't slow carbing too much. Even when your beer in crystal clear there is still a ton of yeast in suspension.

If anybody is having a problem with carbing, hold your concerns until the bottles have been sitting at 70*F for at least four weeks. It's usually three weeks as the standard minimum time but this is a higher OG beer so it most likely will take longer than a normal beer to condition.

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!

Old 11-24-2011, 05:56 AM   #488
Medevac_Chief
Recipes 

Reno- No I have never done a beer with spices going into the boil and not the carboy. that being said will the flavors of the spices eventually mellow out and merge with everything else by sitting in the bottles for a longer period of time?
Thanks

Old 11-24-2011, 02:10 PM   #489
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medevac_Chief
Reno- No I have never done a beer with spices going into the boil and not the carboy. that being said will the flavors of the spices eventually mellow out and merge with everything else by sitting in the bottles for a longer period of time?
Thanks
Yup

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!

Old 11-24-2011, 04:40 PM   #490
millaj92
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy View Post
Ooooo, okay this may cause some debate.

But I've left beer on the yeast cake for about 6 months without this "autolysis" off-flavor everybody talks about. I call shenanigans.

Also, a 2-3 month primary won't slow carbing too much. Even when your beer in crystal clear there is still a ton of yeast in suspension.

If anybody is having a problem with carbing, hold your concerns until the bottles have been sitting at 70*F for at least four weeks. It's usually three weeks as the standard minimum time but this is a higher OG beer so it most likely will take longer than a normal beer to condition.
Yeah I agree with you on this one. The "common knowledge" is that you don't want to leave it in the primary for more than 4 weeks and if you're fermenting for more than two months total there should be no trub at all in the fermenter but I also have aged beers for longer than this without getting any off flavors. I think it really comes down to the quality of yeast you're using, proper pitching rate (starter), and overall sanitation practices.

Quick Reply