Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Punkin' Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #421
MZRIS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Is anyone using the Partial mash ver of this recipe with any success? I see everyone is enjoying the full mash version I am looking for a new project but i have not upgraded my equipment enough to be able to do a full mash yet.

any thoughts or recommendations? has any one posted a brew schedule? I browsed through the thread but i may have missed it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #422
thomismydad
Recipes 

I brewed the partial mash in August. It turned out great. The only change to the recipe was adding a tblsp of vanilla to the secondary.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:38 PM   #423
rmullins
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Brewed this a while back for a halloween party we had. I brought 4 kegs of beer, with the only full one being the Punkin'. Killed all 4 kegs, but the Punkin' actually went first. People loved it. I didn't think we had a shot at killing the thing in one night when I had some more crowd pleasers (Honey Blonde, SNPA Clone and Irish Red) but it was tremendous.

Definitely making it into my yearly rotation

Old 11-05-2011, 10:13 PM   #424
Medevac_Chief
Recipes 

bottling this tomorrow, and was wondering if anyone has made a spice tea to add...was thinking of putting 1g of pumpkin pie spice, along with a tbsp of vanilla extract, or soaking vanilla beans in water?

Old 11-05-2011, 11:02 PM   #425
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medevac_Chief
bottling this tomorrow, and was wondering if anyone has made a spice tea to add...was thinking of putting 1g of pumpkin pie spice, along with a tbsp of vanilla extract, or soaking vanilla beans in water?
Not a bad idea. Try soaking the spice and vanilla bean in vodka or bourbon for a week then add to your bottling bucket

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 11-05-2011, 11:07 PM   #426
Brewskii
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 63 Posts

Quote:
Did a Secondary on vanilla beans for this and it was great. Remember to split the beans and scrape out the seeds though or the impact will be minimal.
Like Reno says, a tincture is a good way to go especially for bottling to avoid any infections. A short soak in vodka will suffice for sterilization purposes but the flavor impact will increase with a lengthy soak.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:52 AM   #427
Medevac_Chief
Recipes 

HELP!!! i racked this onto another can of libby pumpkin in the primary. Decided to go with a 14day primary to hopefully be ready in time for thanksgiving. Hydrometer is broken, so no samples. Transfering to bottles today, and when I tasted it on the way into the bucket, it was really sour. WTH?!?! anyone else have this problem and if so did it mellow out? I really hope this batch isn't ruined....

Old 11-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #428
RandalG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

^ I can't be much help as I mashed my pumpkin with the grains. Before I threw it out I would bottle it though and see how it ages. Sucks about the hydrometer.Has it dropped clear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy View Post
Not a bad idea. Try soaking the spice and vanilla bean in vodka or bourbon for a week then add to your bottling bucket
I always thought Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum would make a nice tincture with vanilla beans but I haven't tried it yet. I have two kegs ready to carb. I may just do this in one of them for a little taste test.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #429
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
HELP!!! i racked this onto another can of libby pumpkin in the primary. Decided to go with a 14day primary to hopefully be ready in time for thanksgiving. Hydrometer is broken, so no samples. Transfering to bottles today, and when I tasted it on the way into the bucket, it was really sour. WTH?!?! anyone else have this problem and if so did it mellow out? I really hope this batch isn't ruined....
Meh i'm sure it isn't ruined. I have two theories:

1) It's only been 14 days. This is a high gravity, spiced beer with an adjunct so it will take longer to lose the "green beer" taste.

2) Did you cook (bake or boil) the can of pumpkin before racking on top of it? Because that could surely be a problem.

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 11-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #430
Medevac_Chief
Recipes 

Reno, no I didnt cook the pumpkin that was racked on top of. hopefully with time this will mellow out to be a somewhat drinkable beer. all the reviews said it was amazing and thats why i chose it.

Quick Reply