Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Punkin' Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011, 02:28 PM   #401
Brewskii
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 64 Posts

If you can tell, see how old the extract you were using was. I have heard that old extract can contribute to "cidery" notes.
The spice blend as written should be very close to commercial versions like DFH Punkin. If it doesn't taste
Like that then I would start looking for what went wrong.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 02:50 PM   #402
Tizzomes
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

[QUOTE="Brewskii"]If you can tell, see how old the extract you were using was. I have heard that old extract can contribute to "cidery" notes.
The spice blend as written should be very close to commercial versions like DFH Punkin. If it doesn't taste
Like that then I would start looking for what went wrong.[/Q

I got the extract from Northern Brewer.It was also there brand I'm kind of at a lose.Thinking back to brew day everything went smooth.At bottling I tried a sample and it tasted awesome. The bottles were ran through my dishwasher, no soap, sanitize cycle high heat.
Hoping for the best here time will tell.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #403
Clearwall
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Brewed this up last week. I made a few mistakes and as im still new to AG(this is attempt #2), i didnt quite reach the target OG. I hit 1.063 so i hope itll still drop down to 1.017 FG.

Also, i added 2 tbs of spice instead of 1.5 because it smelled delicious and i wanted more of that flavor to come out. I also didnt realize the pumpkin was supposed to be in the MASH and I added it to the boil. Any ideas how this might change things?

In any case, the color turned out gorgeous, it reminded me of UT's colors when i saw it in the carboy. It's been settling for almost a week now, so it's not so bright orange but still looks beautiful. Cant wait to taste. I plan on secondary this sunday and bottling a week after.

image-2632535113.jpg

This pic was right after I added yeast.

image-2696980226.jpg

Here it is 5 days later

Old 10-29-2011, 12:02 AM   #404
Barnzy02
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 16

So I'm tasting a not fully carbed pint of this right now. It was on gas for close to a week before my tank finally ran out, just refilled today and had to pull a pint.

Freakin delicious. Pumpkin pie juice around 6-7%. only bad thing is I only have a half keg!

Primary - Amber Alert IPA
Primary - Mild
Primary - empty

Keg - PennsPorter - Vanilla Porter
Keg - Rye Pale Ale

Pennsport Brewing

Old 10-29-2011, 01:12 AM   #405
Blackhawkbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Opened a bottle after three weeks and still tasting "hot" and spicey. I'm hoping it calms down with age. I had my fermentation freezer set at 68* with the probe taped to the bucket. I'm wondering if the fermentation temp inside the bucket was too hot.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:55 AM   #406
Waterboy42
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Mine fermented 70ish, and after two weeks in the bottle its spot on. I added 2 tsp at the end of the boil, and an additional at bottling. I also added a cup of lactose and 1 oz. of vanilla at bottling too.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:55 PM   #407
Stevo2569
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey thanks Reno. Kegged about a wk and 1/2 ago. One of the best pumpkins I've ever had. I added a lb of oats and used a 1/2 lb CaraPils along with a few other minor changes. Talk about head retention. Delicious.

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire."
-David Rains Wallace

My Brewing Apparatus

Old 10-29-2011, 11:16 PM   #408
Barnzy02
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 16

So tasty! Kudos on recipe, made slight changes based on availability at the lhbs.
Enjoying this a lot.

image-3706365887.jpg  

Primary - Amber Alert IPA
Primary - Mild
Primary - empty

Keg - PennsPorter - Vanilla Porter
Keg - Rye Pale Ale

Pennsport Brewing

Old 10-30-2011, 01:34 AM   #409
micdear
Recipes 

I brewed this a few weeks ago and had a few questions, what went into the fermenter tasted just like a pumkin pie, but the first bottle I opened had little pumkin flavor not strong like on brew day and a hint of maple. Has anyone else noticed anything like that or could I have screwed something up? Its still very drinkable but not what I was expecting.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:10 AM   #410
Tarheel4985
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

We brewed 20 gallons of this recipe today (better late than never, right?). Used 8 large cans of Libby's, which is 14.5 lbs. of pumpkin. Also, we used home toasted malt instead of Victory malt and used Cascade for the aroma hops instead of Hallertauer (only had 4 oz. left of Hallertauer and Cascade was the only low AA hop we had).

Even with the pumpkin in the mash, we opted to go without the rice hulls and our 120 qt Coleman Xtreme mash tun handled it like a champ. No stuck sparges at all and the color looked great. Held at 154F for the whole mash.

Our gravity was a little too high, around 1.074, probably because our high efficiency and the slight boost from the pumpkin (I'm guessing 2-4 points of gravity from the pumpkin when mashed).

We are fermenting these in 2 Sankes, so we decided to do a yeast experiment and do one fermenter with US-05 and the other with S-04. Pitched 4 packets in each but probably should have used 5 with the higher gravity. It started bubbling about 4 hours after pitching and 8 hours later, it's foaming over the airlock.

Thanks for sharing what will hopefully be a great beer Reno!

• Secondary 2:
  • Bottled:
  • Kegged 1: American Amber
  • Kegged 2: Arrogant Bastard Clone
  • Kegged 3: Apfelwein
  • Kegged 4: Coffee Porter

Quick Reply