Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Punkin' Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2011, 03:03 PM   #191
federaleigh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the recipe! I brewed this for the first time last week. As it sits in the primary, I'm curious about how long others have left theirs in the primary and whether or not they used a secondary. Did you follow the recipe or did you shorten/lengthen the # of days? Let me know what kind of results you had.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2011, 03:14 PM   #192
Rivenin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 175 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 96

well, 2 weeks after brewing i had to move, old roomies said i could keep it there as long as i needed (mini fridge for a ferm fridge) and that was about a month or so ago.... and i prolly wont be able to get to it for another 2-3 weeks, so it'll be about 2 months in the primary haha

Coming up Cream ale - Bitter - Porter
Electric 120v Brutus 20

Old 09-07-2011, 03:17 PM   #193
Gduck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My plan is 4 weeks in primary and then 4 weeks in bottles. Though that means I have to scour the basement to find where I out all those swing top bottles from back before i got my kegging system.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:20 PM   #194
trent
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 14 Posts

Wow, I just checked my FG and I am at 1.004. Not sure what happened. Doesn't seem like infection, beer tastes great, is just dry. I have a feeling I might have underpitched. I also doubled checked both my hydrometers.

I just pulled another sample, to double check and it is at 1.004. I have never tasted an infection, but its hard to tell with all the spices -- it has a slight sourness, but I don't know if that is the spices. I have never had a pumpkin beer in the first place, I brewed this for the wife. I used 001, so I calculated out almost a 94% attenuation. I don't believe it. I am gonna keg it and chill it and see what happens.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #195
imtrashed
Bushkill Creek Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

For those that have done this recipe, what do you think about using WLP051 (Cali V) or WLP090 (San Diego Super Yeast)? I have these 2 on hand. Was planning a Citra Pale Ale with one, and I'm thinking about using the other on this beer. Possibly both beers in the same day for a monster brew day. Which might be suitable for this brew?

Or what about using a saison yeast (Wyeast 3725 - Biere de Garde yeast)? I have some washed yeast that I might not end up using, but could it be good here? I got some tartness from it for my saison and biere de garde, and it finished pretty dry. Would it throw this punkin ale off the mark?

Thanks for any input.

Bottle conditioning / Ageing: Bourbon-Oaked Vanilla Porter
Consuming: Black IPA, Stone Vertical Epic 08.08.08 clone, EdWort's Apfelwein, English Barleywine, Sweet Mead, Punkin' Ale, Allagash Tripel clone, Pre-Prohibition Lager, Patersbier
Batches in 2011
Batches in 2012
Batches in 2013

Old 09-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #196
absoluthamm
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 17 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 226 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 16

This is what happens when you pitch a 2L starter into 6 gal of wort in a 6.5 gal bucket and then forget where your blowoff hose is. It is the stickiest runoff I've ever witnessed

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Home Brew Talk

forumrunner_20110907_154503.jpg   forumrunner_20110907_154531.jpg  

Keg #1: Sour Raisin Cider
Keg #2: Bonfire Imperial Smoked Amber Ale
Keg #3: Fairfield Nut Brown
Keg #4: Here Gose Nothing...
Keg #5: Empty

Bottle Conditioning: Mackenzie's Barleywine
In Primary: Nada
In Secondary: None
On Deck: Berliner Weisse

Untappd: absoluthamm

Old 09-07-2011, 09:34 PM   #197
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 61

SO MANY CONTRIBUTORS!! It makes me oh so happy to see this many people experiment with and enjoy my favorite recipe! ^_^

absoluthamm: Fantastic photos! Hope the clean-up isn't a pain. And yeah, I could have told you that was a bad idea

imtrashed: Cali V sounds like it should work. Biere de Garde sounds interesting, I might try it on this recipe if the gravity was boosted and spiced more (i.e. more clove, some licorice root, juniper, etc)

trent: 1.004 is a bit low... did you hold your mash temperatures the entire time? And the spices don't make it sour... there might be a slight infection. But whatever, as long as it tastes good it doesn't matter The sourness will also likely clear up a bit as you let it sit in the keg. As always, the last pint is the best one!

Gduck: 4 week primary and 4 week bottle conditioning sounds perfect!

Rivenin: 2 month primary? Nice. Just be prepared for the clearest, cleanest brew you've ever had. What temperature is it at? Is the temperature constant?

federaleigh: I typically do a 4-6 week primary, no secondary. Then it's straight to the keg. The original numbers are my old techniques and I don't think I can change them. However, 21 days primary and then 3 days secondary will yield good results as well. Also, it should be noted that the 3 day secondary really means I kegged it and left the keg out at room temperature for 3 days before putting it in the kegerator and hitting it with CO2.

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 09-07-2011, 09:57 PM   #198
Rivenin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 175 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy View Post

Rivenin: 2 month primary? Nice. Just be prepared for the clearest, cleanest brew you've ever had. What temperature is it at? Is the temperature constant?
Was between 65-70 on safale 05 for about a month, then about a week ago i dropped it off to 45 to let everything crash, i'm really wanting to sample this, but i haven't the time during a remodel as well
Coming up Cream ale - Bitter - Porter
Electric 120v Brutus 20

Old 09-08-2011, 01:46 AM   #199
trent
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy View Post
trent: 1.004 is a bit low... did you hold your mash temperatures the entire time? And the spices don't make it sour... there might be a slight infection. But whatever, as long as it tastes good it doesn't matter The sourness will also likely clear up a bit as you let it sit in the keg. As always, the last pint is the best one!
Since I am HERMS I hold my mash temp perfect -- 154 the entire time. I had about 85% efficency, I wonder if I was just too efficent? I am going to rebrew and try 04 this time, and probably mash higher. 158?

T

Old 09-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #200
FalkyBrew
Recipes 

Wow it's foaming like a mofo! Its been a day since i looked at it. When I made it to the cellar all i see is foam coming up into the airlock. So I just had to make an impromptu blow off valve.

image-3950033853.jpg   image-2428026146.jpg  

Quick Reply