Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Punkin' Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #11
rainingbullets
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy_446 View Post
Hmmm... well maybe then just add 0.5 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice. Should do you just fine
Ok, I will try that. Especially since the store wont take the cans back (jerks)

Next question: what fermentation temp should I use?

I went to the LHBS yesterday, and picked up Crystal hops at 3.5% AA. Apparently, it is the same thing as Hallertaur.

I also put this recipe into beersmith. Of course I couldn't find how to add brown sugar, or the pumpkin spices. This is probably why the OG estimate I got is 1.058, with a FG of 1.015

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2010, 04:30 PM   #12
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Nah, you can't put the brown sugar, pie spice or pumpkin into beersmith, I just add them to the notes. My OG without the sugar or pumpkin is 1.060 (70% eff) and afterwards it's around 1.070. I got a lower OG the first time because lautering took fooooorever (don't forget the rice hulls... lot of 'em) and I ended up leaving some.

I'd say in order to keep it clean of yeast flavor so the malt and spices can shine through, ferment around 60-64*F.

And yeah, crystal will work just fine. Good Hallertauer substitute.

EDIT: Oops, I lied... you totally can add brown sugar. Potential SG is 1.046 per pound per gallon. I remember now that I didn't add it to beersmith because the difference in SRMs between light and dark brown sugar is pretty big and I already knew the final SRM would be really hard to calculate what with the spices and pumpkin.

And that makes me realize the final SRM is probably more like 16... or whatever number represents "gorgeous, deep orange-copper"

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Last edited by Reno_eNVy; 08-22-2010 at 06:03 PM.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:25 PM   #13
rainingbullets
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy_446 View Post
Nah, you can't put the brown sugar, pie spice or pumpkin into beersmith, I just add them to the notes. My OG without the sugar or pumpkin is 1.060 (70% eff) and afterwards it's around 1.070. I got a lower OG the first time because lautering took fooooorever (don't forget the rice hulls... lot of 'em) and I ended up leaving some.

I'd say in order to keep it clean of yeast flavor so the malt and spices can shine through, ferment around 60-64*F.

And yeah, crystal will work just fine. Good Hallertauer substitute.

EDIT: Oops, I lied... you totally can add brown sugar. Potential SG is 1.046 per pound per gallon. I remember now that I didn't add it to beersmith because the difference in SRMs between light and dark brown sugar is pretty big and I already knew the final SRM would be really hard to calculate what with the spices and pumpkin.

And that makes me realize the final SRM is probably more like 16... or whatever number represents "gorgeous, deep orange-copper"

I didn't see brown sugar anywhere in Beersmith. Is this something that would be manually added? I saw the light and dark brown sugars at the store. I went with the light.

I also noticed this pumpkin pie mix contains "sugar syrup" as one of the ingredients. I'm wondering if I should cut back a little on the 1.0 lb of brown sugar this recipe calls for...

Old 08-22-2010, 10:45 PM   #14
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I don't think I manually added the brown sugar... it was there to begin with I believe. Dark = 50 SRM, Light = 8 SRM. Both 10% max in batch.

And that's weird that your pie mix would come with simple syrup (that's what I'm assuming it is) but I doubt it's a whole lot... probably not even enough to raise the gravity by 0.001. If you feel more comfortable with slightly less than a pound of brown sugar then that's fine.

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
TXBrewGuy Likes This 
Old 08-23-2010, 12:40 AM   #15
RonRock
Always Ready
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I found brown sugar listed under Grains & Extracts.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:16 PM   #16
modernlifeisANDY
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 14

If I were to back off on the pale malt by 2 pounds (mainly because my MT can only handle 12 lbs. of grain, and the pumpkin worries me) would that adversely affect the taste at all? Or would I just be losing out on alcohol? I know the real flavor and malt backbone is going to come from the crystal and the victory anyway, but I'm just curious.

ON TAP
Klepek IPA
Coffeehouse Stout

FERMENTING
Love Weizen Davis

ON DECK
Casper Extra Pale Ale

Old 08-23-2010, 02:45 PM   #17
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yeah that pumpkin will definitely take up some room. You'll be fine backing off on two pounds, you'll just end up with an OG of ~1.060 instead of ~1.070. You could try one of two things:

1) Let it be. You'll still end up with a delicious, medium-full bodied beer that is slightly weaker (by <= 1%)

2) Add about a pound of Dememera sugar, or another partially-refined sugar. This will add more flavor than regular sucrose or dextrose would and raise the OG back up.... but will still lighten the body. To alleviate that, just mash slightly higher at 155 or 156*F.

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!

Old 09-13-2010, 11:45 PM   #18
Sarrsipius
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I made a slight variation to this recipe yesterday. When I went to the store to get pumpkin i found out there is a national pumpkin shortage and you can't get canned pumpkin anywhere in Indianapolis right now. So I went and bought some pie pumpkins and made the pumkin mixture from scratch. We'll see how it turns out.

I added .5lbs of flaked wheat and an extra .5lbs of pale malt to compensate for slightly lower efficiency.

Conical : bohemian pils
Keg 1: Brown Ale__Keg 2: Hellas
Keg 3: Hellas__Keg 4: air
Keg 5: AIR 6: Edworts Apflewien

My HERMS rig

Old 09-14-2010, 01:59 AM   #19
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well, good to hear you were able to find pumpkin to use! Curse you, pumpkin shortage!!!

So how did the mash go? I'm sure it was gummy enough with the pumpkin, but now you've gone an added flaked wheat! I'm sure that took a while

And you did the recipe the same the rest of the way? Hope it turns out amazing! Be sure to post updates!

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!

Old 09-14-2010, 02:26 AM   #20
modernlifeisANDY
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Reno, I ended up brewing this on Thursday. I backed off on the pale like I had mentioned and managed to find 4 lbs. of canned pumpkin. It didn't add as much as I thought and I probably could have backed off the pale by a pound instead of two, but it turned out great. Smelled delicious, I'll let you know how it goes!

ON TAP
Klepek IPA
Coffeehouse Stout

FERMENTING
Love Weizen Davis

ON DECK
Casper Extra Pale Ale

Quick Reply