Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Punkin' Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2013, 10:08 PM   #1521
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzimmer0817 View Post
And here's my brewday for this beer:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f244/my-...-chill-356409/
Nice, I remember that thread.

And soap? No, not supposed to taste like that. I recently kicked a keg of a batch I brewed around the same time as you (September-ish 2012) that I haven't been able to get at very much since I worked out of town most of this year. But it was still good, spices very much faded, but definitely no soap.

Good luck on this go-around! Doing the tincture is a good idea.

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 09:05 PM   #1522
charlestonsailing
Recipes 

It's already well into January but I am really thinking of making a winter version of this beer. Using more winter flavors than pumpkin. I really love the underlying malt flavor of this beer. It is pretty dead center to what I like. How much of the flavor do you think comes from the pumpkin in the mash? I was thinking that it may really just add to the body and feel more than anything.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:32 AM   #1523
kenlock
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlestonsailing View Post
It's already well into January but I am really thinking of making a winter version of this beer. Using more winter flavors than pumpkin. I really love the underlying malt flavor of this beer. It is pretty dead center to what I like. How much of the flavor do you think comes from the pumpkin in the mash? I was thinking that it may really just add to the body and feel more than anything.
In all honesty, I believe little to no flavour comes from the pumpkin. It adds some colour and a small amount of sugar (if caramelised in the oven). It does lend authenticity. It's a the base is a great beer on it's own.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:02 AM   #1524
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlock View Post
In all honesty, I believe little to no flavour comes from the pumpkin. It adds some colour and a small amount of sugar (if caramelised in the oven). It does lend authenticity. It's a the base is a great beer on it's own.
THIS! I've tried brewing this without pumpkin in the mash and for some reason it just isn't the same. I don't know if it's familiarity-bias but I really think the baked pumpkin does make some magic happen.

And I agree on the authenticity. Everybody needs to experience a stuck or painfully slow mash at least once when making this brew. It makes it special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlestonsailing View Post
It's already well into January but I am really thinking of making a winter version of this beer. Using more winter flavors than pumpkin.
What were you thinking of doing? I'm intrigued.

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!

Old 02-16-2014, 04:23 PM   #1525
jigtwins
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I know this thread is old. But I see people are still replying to it. One question I have is about aging. I didn't want to read thru all the pages to see if it has been asked, and the search on here really stinks. My question, has anyone bottled and aged this for any amount of time? I'm looking to make this in April . Would like to have some ready for the fall without having to make it. I assume that the spice will fade with time, but was wondering how the beer fared from cellaring. Any recomended changes for aging?

Sent from my PG86100 using Home Brew mobile app

Old 02-16-2014, 04:46 PM   #1526
jtd_419
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkleJon View Post
I can't see why it wouldn't work. It should be that beautiful orangey color and that is most of what you get out of pumpkins (aside from stuck sparges). Pre-roasting the pumpkins before juicing would probably add a little something extra but you should get the same sort of effect out of the juice that you would from the whole thing as you strain the solids out anyhow. Give it a go and let us know.
Did brew this up and if I had it to do again I think a little more spice would be good but definitely a good beer letting it age a little bit before I really get into it
Old 02-16-2014, 11:08 PM   #1527
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigtwins View Post
I know this thread is old. But I see people are still replying to it. One question I have is about aging. I didn't want to read thru all the pages to see if it has been asked, and the search on here really stinks. My question, has anyone bottled and aged this for any amount of time? I'm looking to make this in April . Would like to have some ready for the fall without having to make it. I assume that the spice will fade with time, but was wondering how the beer fared from cellaring. Any recomended changes for aging?

Sent from my PG86100 using Home Brew mobile app
Maybe add a bit more spice. But it ages really really well. It hits its stride at about 6-8 weeks and is amazing after a few months.

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!

Old 02-16-2014, 11:20 PM   #1528
jigtwins
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy View Post
Maybe add a bit more spice. But it ages really really well. It hits its stride at about 6-8 weeks and is amazing after a few months.
Thanks for the quick reply. I think I'll hit it with more spice at bottling mixed in with the priming sugar. I made this 2 times last fall. It was delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:12 AM   #1529
PinzonCornudo
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Placing the order now to give this a go this weekend as a partial mash/BIAB. I know it's wrong time of year for you guys, but not here in the southern hemisphere. I hope to have it ready for our annual "half-mas" party. Since December is summer here, rich foods don't really work for Christmas like they do in the north. Hence some expats here get together every june/july/august and have a halfway-to-christmas party just to get together and enjoy have the seasonal eats. This year I'll be bringing Reno-eNVy's punkin' clone. Only I can't get canned pumpkin (or even fresh pumpkin) so I'll be using a closely related pumpkin like squash from Chile called 'zapallo' (pronounced "za' payo" here). Also instead of the pumpkin pie spice (which I also can't find), I'll be using a chai spice mix that I used last weekend in a zapallo pie that went over extremely well with SWMBO and friends.

Much thanks to Reno-eNVy for posting the recipe and all the rest of you for your contributions to the thread.

*edit: seems LHBS doesn't carry US 2row or Victory. Looks like it's going to be MO & Biscuit instead.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:58 AM   #1530
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sounds like a really interesting brew. Please be sure to post findings on brew day and sampling/drinking!

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!

Quick Reply