Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Punkin' Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2011, 03:30 PM   #121
FalkyBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Any ideas on adding some bourbon and vanilla? I was thinking about soaking some vanilla beans in 2 cups of bourbon for 3 weeks while the wort is in the fermenter. Then putting it in the secondary along with a tbs of vanilla extract when I rack it . I haven't tried this recipe yet but was wondering what people who have think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #122
cfraga1978
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalkyBrew
Any ideas on adding some bourbon and vanilla? I was thinking about soaking some vanilla beans in 2 cups of bourbon for 3 weeks while the wort is in the fermenter. Then putting it in the secondary along with a tbs of vanilla extract when I rack it . I haven't tried this recipe yet but was wondering what people who have think?
My god man pumpkin, pumpkin spice, bourbon, and vanilla. Its beer, not a pizza. you can't just throw a bunch of flavors in and expect it to taste everything. IMO the bourbon or the vanilla will shine through and you wont even taste the pumpkin or the spice. You should ether brew a pumpkin ale or brew a bourbon vanilla ale. You would just be wasting your money trying to combined the two. But that is just me.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:39 PM   #123
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraga1978 View Post
My god man pumpkin, pumpkin spice, bourbon, and vanilla. Its beer, not a pizza. you can't just throw a bunch of flavors in and expect it to taste everything. IMO the bourbon or the vanilla will shine through and you wont even taste the pumpkin or the spice. You should ether brew a pumpkin ale or brew a bourbon vanilla ale. You would just be wasting your money trying to combined the two. But that is just me.
Meh, to each his own. That's the great thing about homebrew... you can make it whatever you want.

But reading your post gave me an idea. FalkyBrew, make a pumpkin ale and a vanilla bourbon ale. Once those are both done you can blend a little bit of them (resulting in only a cup or so) so you find out what ratio of each tastes best together. Then you can scale that ratio up to either blending the full batches or just a gallon or two of each.

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 08-19-2011, 08:29 PM   #124
absoluthamm
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 17 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 223 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy View Post
Thanks for the interest and the compliments Be sure to post your results

Are you going to try to find pumpkin or just use the spice?
I'll make sure to post the results. As for real or spice? I will definitely use real pumpkin. If I can't find Libby's(which I'm sure I won't have a problem with since I see it in the store every week when I go), then it's getting close enough to that time of the year that I'll be able to find fresh pumpkin. I have family that have huge gardens with baking pumpkins in them, so it wouldn't be hard for me to find it.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:03 AM   #125
KozHops
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Brewed this up about 2 weeks ago. I used Special Roast instead of Victory so I hope it turns out okay. I'll probably wait another week and bottle this bad boy up. Thanks for the recipe Reno.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:23 AM   #126
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haputanlas View Post
Just brewed this about two weeks ago. OG was 1.070 and the FG was 1.006. Not sure what went wrong during fermentation, but it is pretty cidery. However, it still tasted good. Only time will tell if it's going to be OK.
Quote:
Uh oh. Dude, 1.070 - 1.006 is some severe attenuation; 94%. The really low final gravity and cidery flavor lead me to believe you may have an infection. The spice flavor should still be there but I think you're going to be missing out on the malt profile.

The beer will be fine and if anything will probably just need a little more time. Thanks for giving the recipe a shot!
Quote:
That's what I was afraid of. We'll see
Quote:
To quickly follow up, I'm pretty certain that there is no infection. I believe that I must have somehow screwed up the Brown Sugar addition (probably added too much). At the time, I didn't have a measuring tool for the Brown Sugar and tried to "eye" it.

The beer is just really really cidery and dry. Even with this, it's still pretty good. Hopefully I won't screw it up this next time.

Thanks again for the recipe.
Quote:
Yes, it's drinkable. I've noticed that even though it is very dry, a little bit of age has already helped.

I don't think it will ever be as good as the original recipe, but I don't really care. We learn more from mistake batches than the ones that go right. Since then, I've bought the proper scales and measuring equipment. This mistake won't happen again.

I plan on attempting this recipe again in the future. I'll let you know how it goes.
Quote:
Great! Can't wait to read about it!

OK, so after my brown sugar mishap, I am going to brew this again. I've improved my brewing skills significantly since this brew. In addition, I have much much better equipment this time around.

Can't wait to try this. I love pumpkin ales.

BTW, I plan on aging this for at least 2 months this time around.

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 08-22-2011, 04:44 AM   #127
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Awesome to see that you're jumping back on that saddle.

Once you nail this down you're going to want to do it every year. If we blow through this coming batch too quickly I'll probably brew up a stronger, biscuitier version with an added mystery spice for Christmas-time

Side-note: Probably going to get this brewing on Tuesday or Wednesday, and at the same time I will probably keg my Oktoberfest that was brewed in March by tradition and has been lagering since. Damn, in a month it's going to be a harvest celebration in my kegerator.

I'll be sure to produce photo evidence of all the above procedures. I have a new phone with a really nice camera

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!

Old 08-22-2011, 05:16 AM   #128
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KozHops View Post
Brewed this up about 2 weeks ago. I used Special Roast instead of Victory so I hope it turns out okay. I'll probably wait another week and bottle this bad boy up. Thanks for the recipe Reno.
Yeah that should work just great.

IIRC, Victory® is just a brand name of a certain Special Roast. Don't hold me to that, though. I just know that they're both toasty and biscuity.

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!

Old 08-23-2011, 09:01 PM   #129
trent
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 14 Posts

Bumps. I will be brewing this Sunday morning on my HERMS system. Thanks for the recipie, I am looking to do a clone of Punkin' and this seemed to be the closest around.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:00 PM   #130
homebrewin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed this on 08/12 just took a hydro sample and it 1.017, and tasting great, I do think it could use a tad more spice but after a few weeks I'm sure the flavors will mellow and I'll bottle it up! Thanks for the recipe!!

Quick Reply