Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Punkin' Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #1171
ArcticBear
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 5

the only thing i would back down from this recipe is the pumpkin spice a little bit, a tiny bit of cinnamon (which is in the pumpkin pie spice) goes a long way, and this is an awesome beer, just heavy heavy on the spices... i like my spices to be a little more subtle in a pumpkin beer...

i may up the roasted pumpkin next time and decrease the pie spice, but all in all an awesome brew!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #1172
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticBear View Post
the only thing i would back down from this recipe is the pumpkin spice a little bit, a tiny bit of cinnamon (which is in the pumpkin pie spice) goes a long way, and this is an awesome beer, just heavy heavy on the spices... i like my spices to be a little more subtle in a pumpkin beer...

i may up the roasted pumpkin next time and decrease the pie spice, but all in all an awesome brew!
Huh that's interesting. I've never heard anybody say there's too much spice... everyone who wants to change the spice amount says there isn't enough. But that's the great thing about homebrewing, you can make it your own!

Kegged: Strawberry Banana Blonde -- Sahti

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 05-07-2013, 05:46 AM   #1173
nitrousjunkie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed 10 gallons of this last year. Loved it, but I lost half due to a leaky keg. I'll be brewing this again this year when I get back from Kyrgyzstan.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:08 AM   #1174
ChrisL_
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Well, I managed to wait the 8 weeks after bottling and I can honestly say it was worth the wait. I had some slightly off flavor at bottling that I was never able to put my finger on. Being my first batch it may well have just been "green beer", but I am not sure. In any event after letting this beer age for 8 weeks it definitely tastes much better then even after 5 weeks.
I must agree 100% with Reno_Envy, if you can do it, let this beer age a couple of months, it only gets better!
Thanks again to Reno and others for helping through my first beer. It was nice to be able to crack one tonight while bottling my second batch (a nut brown ale)

Old 05-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #1175
thiessenace
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just got.my grains and hops. So ready for this! My first all grain on my own system.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #1176
juggaleo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just bottled this last night, sample tasted good. I was going to make another batch for October but now I'm thinking just hold onto it till then. Anyone age this for 4+ months?

Old 06-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #1177
ChrisL_
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggaleo View Post
I just bottled this last night, sample tasted good. I was going to make another batch for October but now I'm thinking just hold onto it till then. Anyone age this for 4+ months?
Well I waited patiently for 2 months from brew day to start drinking my first and only batch. Unfortunately I can't say any of it made it until the 4 month mark

Others may chime in, but in reading this entire thread a few months back before doing my batch I am sure I recall that some kept this lying around for months and it only got better with age.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #1178
wvdad
Boehler Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggaleo View Post
I found a single bottle of this in my basement that was over 6 months old and it tasted phenomenal. I stuck to this recipe and while it was a good beer at 1-2 months it was a great beer at 6 months. I plan to make another batch soon to give out at Christmas this year.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #1179
Richard-SSV
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I'm going to brew this in the next few weeks and let it age all summer until late October. Now I haven't read all 118 pages, but I'm wondering if anyone has added the pumpkin puree to the boil rather than the mash?

According to the Libby pumpkin label each 29oz. can has 28 grams of sugar. I'm wondering just how much sugar is being extracted from the pumpkin by adding it to the mash? Would you get more pumpkin flavor and more sugar by adding the pumpkin to the boil? Has anyone tried brewing it this way? Just curious........

Old 06-28-2013, 07:36 AM   #1180
TX-straggler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's what I'm doing as well! Pretty pumped! I was actually pondering that same question.?.?

Quick Reply