Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Punkin' Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 03:55 AM   #1131
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo57 View Post
I read it actually last night right after I posted it. Something about a flavor that saaz imparts to the beer when bittering with it? I wish I would have saved the link or I wish I remembered where I read it... I don't know I have never heard that before but never bittered with it so not sure? I could always use warrior as it's a really clean bittering hop and I have that and I could then use the saaz in the later addition.
Just stick with all saaz or warrior/saaz? Thoughts?
It's up to you.... but after 60 minutes there is negligible flavor left, just hop bitterness.

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 04:40 AM   #1132
Matteo57
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Thanks for thoughts. Might try warrior just because I have it on hand.... we'll see.
every try subbing out a bit of the base malt with munich?

Old 02-12-2013, 12:41 AM   #1133
ChrisL_
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well I have not been as excited to start a hobby/project in a long while, as I have been since Homebrew and Punkin Ale came along. So I finally got all my stuff together and brewed my firs batch on Sunday. That is the good news. The bad news it did not take me long to make my first rookie error.

I totally misread Reno_Envys recipe. Where it said "24QT of 163*F water (step temp of 156)" I read that as doing a mash at 2 temps, first 156 and then 163. Being my first ever batch and doing BIAB in an effort to keep it simple I decided to just do the entire thing at 163 (on the bright side it explained the 1.080 SG that I did not understand at first).

So I have read to understand that my beer may end up pretty sweet as I may have some unfermentable sugars in there. I guess how sweet only time will tell. On the bright side I have been known to like my sugary treats

I did learn one other thing as well. I have read on these forums over and over again to RDWHAHB. This advise stinks when it is your first batch and you don't have a home brew to relax with! Luckily I am still well stocked with many comercials beers, so I stilled chilled out with a frosty beverage.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:03 AM   #1134
ChrisL_
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisL_
Well I have not been as excited to start a hobby/project in a long while, as I have been since Homebrew and Punkin Ale came along. So I finally got all my stuff together and brewed my firs batch on Sunday. That is the good news. The bad news it did not take me long to make my first rookie error.

I totally misread Reno_Envys recipe. Where it said "24QT of 163*F water (step temp of 156)" I read that as doing a mash at 2 temps, first 156 and then 163. Being my first ever batch and doing BIAB in an effort to keep it simple I decided to just do the entire thing at 163 (on the bright side it explained the 1.080 SG that I did not understand at first).

So I have read to understand that my beer may end up pretty sweet as I may have some unfermentable sugars in there. I guess how sweet only time will tell. On the bright side I have been known to like my sugary treats

I did learn one other thing as well. I have read on these forums over and over again to RDWHAHB. This advise stinks when it is your first batch and you don't have a home brew to relax with! Luckily I am still well stocked with many comercials beers, so I stilled chilled out with a frosty beverage.
OK, I am looking for some advice/feedback. I know I need to be patient with my beers but am curious about something. I thought most fermentation was done in the first few days? My SG was 1.080 and I checked today and it was still at 1.040. Should it have gone down more by now, or do I just need to wait?
Some additional details:
1. Including fowl ups listed above I also think my boil was too vigorous and I boiled off too much. I ended up with 2.4 gal in the fermenter when my target was 3.
2. I did a 2.5G batch and pitched an entire package of SF05. Ambient temp was mostly around 60-63F in my basement.
3. Fermentation looked vigorous for a couple of days and then slowed right down.
4. It was my first ever taste of freshly fermented beer, so I am not totally sure about the taste, but it seemed ok other then pretty sweet and having what I think is the "green" flavor of a young beer.

Any thoughts? I am correct that the gravity should have been lower by this point?

Thanks,

Chris

Keg #1 Chocolate Coconut Stout
Keg #2 Orange Honey Hefe
Keg #3 Dead Guy Ale

Last edited by ChrisL_; 02-23-2013 at 01:36 AM. Reason: cleared up some verbal diarrhea :-)

Old 02-23-2013, 03:57 AM   #1135
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisL_ View Post

OK, I am looking for some advice/feedback. I know I need to be patient with my beers but am curious about something. I thought most fermentation was done in the first few days? My SG was 1.080 and I checked today and it was still at 1.040. Should it have gone down more by now, or do I just need to wait?
Some additional details:
1. Including fowl ups listed above I also think my boil was too vigorous and I boiled off too much. I ended up with 2.4 gal in the fermenter when my target was 3.
2. I did a 2.5G batch and pitched an entire package of SF05. Ambient temp was mostly around 60-63F in my basement.
3. Fermentation looked vigorous for a couple of days and then slowed right down.
4. It was my first ever taste of freshly fermented beer, so I am not totally sure about the taste, but it seemed ok other then pretty sweet and having what I think is the "green" flavor of a young beer.

Any thoughts? I am correct that the gravity should have been lower by this point?

Thanks,

Chris
How long total since you pitched yeast? That's a big beer. Give it at least three weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-23-2013, 04:45 AM   #1136
ChrisL_
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
How long total since you pitched yeast? That's a big beer. Give it at least three weeks
Sorry, I thought I typed that. The yeast was pitched 2 weeks ago.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:04 PM   #1137
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:

Sorry, I thought I typed that. The yeast was pitched 2 weeks ago.
What yeast? It's in the presence of higher alcohol now which can affect it, too depending on strain

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #1138
Dukeman9988
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:

Some additional details:

Thanks,

Chris
What did you use to check the gravity?

Old 02-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #1139
ChrisL_
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
What yeast? It's in the presence of higher alcohol now which can affect it, too depending on strain
It was a full pack of SF05 on a 2.5 gallon batch, pitched dry.

Quote:
What did you use to check the gravity?
I used a Hydrometer for both SG and current Gravity.

My concern is that I totally blew the mash temp (rookie first batch error) and had it at 162F. A brewing friend told me I would end up with many unfermentables in my wort. So I wonder if the 1.040 could end up being my FG (I'll know in a day or 2 when I do another reading).

Old 02-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #1140
tre9er
Recipes 

You can also try adding a few drops of amylase enzyme which your local shop should have

Quote:

Quick Reply