Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Punkin' Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 03:01 AM   #1121
ChrisL_
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy View Post
Ha! I'm sorry and you're welcome at the same time, then. I wish you luck. If you have any questions about the beer that isn't covered in this thread or any general brewing questions please ask.
Thanks! But I am not sure what has not yet been covered in the ~112 pages of this thread that I have already read.
I should have all my equipment and be ready to brew on Sunday

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #1122
ChrisL_
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisL_ View Post
Thanks! But I am not sure what has not yet been covered in the ~112 pages of this thread that I have already read.
I should have all my equipment and be ready to brew on Sunday
I stand corrected! I have not even started and am already in trouble Not sure if it a big deal or not. I took a trip out to our LHBS to pick up all of my supplies. I was looking for the Hallataur and saw New Zealand Hallataur instead of a North American variety. The Alpha is 6.7%. I see the Alpha on your recipe used 4.8%. I am uncertain if I will be able to get to the LHBS to get the correct one before my planned weekend brew. Can I scale down the amount and still be ok, or could the NZ variety cause a undesired change in my beer?
Also, it is in a foil vaccum wrap, but appears to be leaves instead of pellets.

Any advice?

Old 02-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #1123
Brewskii
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisL_

I stand corrected! I have not even started and am already in trouble Not sure if it a big deal or not. I took a trip out to our LHBS to pick up all of my supplies. I was looking for the Hallataur and saw New Zealand Hallataur instead of a North American variety. The Alpha is 6.7%. I see the Alpha on your recipe used 4.8%. I am uncertain if I will be able to get to the LHBS to get the correct one before my planned weekend brew. Can I scale down the amount and still be ok, or could the NZ variety cause a undesired change in my beer?
Also, it is in a foil vaccum wrap, but appears to be leaves instead of pellets.

Any advice?
This is not an issue on both counts ( not sure how you got New Zealand Hallertau though, it's one of the most common hops from one of the more obscure growing regions).
Variety trumps growing region in what makes hops taste different. You can multiply the AA number with the weight in ounces. Then divide that number by the AA of the hops you have and that should tell you how many Ounces of the hops to add.
Additionally, whole hops will bitter, weight for weight, with pellets -there is no conversion ( the exception being fresh, not dried, hops where it's about 7 to 1 due to water weight).
Also, the earlier in the boil, the less the variety matters. Up to about the 30 min mark you really are getting bittering from the AA and not character like flavor or aroma with most hop varieties (there are some exceptions to this from what I understand).

Old 02-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #1124
ChrisL_
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskii

This is not an issue on both counts ( not sure how you got New Zealand Hallertau though, it's one of the most common hops from one of the more obscure growing regions).
Variety trumps growing region in what makes hops taste different. You can multiply the AA number with the weight in ounces. Then divide that number by the AA of the hops you have and that should tell you how many Ounces of the hops to add.
Additionally, whole hops will bitter, weight for weight, with pellets -there is no conversion ( the exception being fresh, not dried, hops where it's about 7 to 1 due to water weight).
Also, the earlier in the boil, the less the variety matters. Up to about the 30 min mark you really are getting bittering from the AA and not character like flavor or aroma with most hop varieties (there are some exceptions to this from what I understand).
Thanks Brewsksi that makes me feel a bit better. If I don't get to brew this weekend it will be a couple of more weeks before I have time ( I love my kids but they sure soak up a lot of time).

As for pellets vs leaves, I am guessing leaves as I am under the impression the pellets are bigger ( just based on pics from the inter webs). Could this just be a pile of smaller pellets?
image-3750787281.jpg  

Keg #1 Chocolate Coconut Stout
Keg #2 Orange Honey Hefe
Keg #3 Dead Guy Ale

Last edited by ChrisL_; 02-06-2013 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Typo

Old 02-06-2013, 03:39 AM   #1125
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Those almost certainly look like pellets. A one ounce bag of leaves is usually bigger (unless the photo makes it bigger than it is.)

Also, Brewskii is spot-on

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 02-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #1126
Brewskii
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy
Those almost certainly look like pellets. A one ounce bag of leaves is usually bigger (unless the photo makes it bigger than it is.)

Also, Brewskii is spot-on
+1. -(about the pellets I mean).

Old 02-09-2013, 04:22 AM   #1127
Matteo57
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

I have chech saaz and no hallertau, think it will be a LOT different of a beer if I use saaz instead? Any other suggestions as I cannot go to the brew store for awhile again and would like to brew this again. Brewed it before and it is fantastic for sure!!

Old 02-09-2013, 04:24 AM   #1128
Matteo57
Recipes 

Oh, I can always bitter with something else as I hear saaz isn't very good for that.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #1129
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo57 View Post
Oh, I can always bitter with something else as I hear saaz isn't very good for that.
Where did you hear that? It just has a low alpha acid % so you use a little more.

And I'm pretty sure hallertauer and saaz have similar aa%

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 02-10-2013, 02:35 AM   #1130
Matteo57
Recipes 

I read it actually last night right after I posted it. Something about a flavor that saaz imparts to the beer when bittering with it? I wish I would have saved the link or I wish I remembered where I read it... I don't know I have never heard that before but never bittered with it so not sure? I could always use warrior as it's a really clean bittering hop and I have that and I could then use the saaz in the later addition.
Just stick with all saaz or warrior/saaz? Thoughts?

Quick Reply