Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Punkin' Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 10:16 PM   #1021
grssmnperez
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Cracked a bottle of this last night. Brewed in september. A little light on carbonation but spices smell great but dont come through in flavor though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #1022
BlackNotch
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Had my first glass of this, and its damn good! Its been kegged for for 5 weeks, great carb and flavor!

image-73194655.jpg  

-Mike

Old 10-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #1023
PSUSkier
Recipes 

My first attempt at this went pretty smooth all things considered. I missed my mash temp by about 3 or 4 degrees because of the pumpkin (certainly not used to compensating for that) but no stuck sparges of any kind. The brew smelled fantastic and fermentation took off like crazy. The photo was from 6 hours after pitching yeast and after about 12 hours the krausen forced its way through the air lock which has since been replaced with a blow-off valve. In any event, I can't wait to try this thing.

2012-10-25-00.34.11.jpg  

Old 10-26-2012, 12:18 AM   #1024
Inkleg
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 62

First, thanks Reno for the recipe.
Next, brewed this 10/6 BIAB with the pumpkin in a mesh bag while bringing the water up to mash temp. Removed the bag and lost about 1 can (29oz) of pumpkin into the water. Mashed at 156 for an hour, chilled and put on a 05 Centennial Blonde yeast cake (thanks BeirMuncher) and had activity in 5 hours. Been holding temperture at a steady 65 deg. Checked last week and again tonight gravity at 1.030, OG was 1.070. Color is nice and sample is clear.
Is FG high due to the amount of pumpkin lost or stuck fermentation? Taste is great, a little spice forward and not too sweet.
Which way to head next?
Thanks

Old 10-26-2012, 02:06 PM   #1025
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkleg View Post
First, thanks Reno for the recipe.
Next, brewed this 10/6 BIAB with the pumpkin in a mesh bag while bringing the water up to mash temp. Removed the bag and lost about 1 can (29oz) of pumpkin into the water. Mashed at 156 for an hour, chilled and put on a 05 Centennial Blonde yeast cake (thanks BeirMuncher) and had activity in 5 hours. Been holding temperture at a steady 65 deg. Checked last week and again tonight gravity at 1.030, OG was 1.070. Color is nice and sample is clear.
Is FG high due to the amount of pumpkin lost or stuck fermentation? Taste is great, a little spice forward and not too sweet.
Which way to head next?
Thanks
I'm guessing 156 mash temp aided this some, but still shouldn't come out that high. Perhaps your thermometer isn't calibrated or the temp rose above that at some point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #1026
Medevac_Chief
Recipes 

This one is looking good so far, I had a few hiccups on brew day, but its been 2 weeks since and I'm getting pretty excited for the one.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #1027
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Well tomorrow is going to be week 5 since brewday and I've yet to taste it. The chest freezer ferm chamber smells friggin amazing though. I went to LHBS yesterday and bought a new shank, faucet, and all accompanying accessories to get a third beer in the kegerator (I already have the keg.) I wanted to get the punkin carbed and going but I wasn't willing to take a keg out for the time being, so third tap is the obvious solution.

The overwhelming urge to get my punkin on gas was due to the fact that we went to BJ's and their pumpkin ale had just come out, plus we carved pumpkins while drinking Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale... so yeah, it needs to happen.

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 10-27-2012, 04:16 PM   #1028
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I also need to catch up with responses:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerB4Liquor View Post
I'm going to brew this for my first all grain recipe. My thoughts are though, that I would cut the brown sugar into 2 different steps. I want to roast the pumpkin with a 1/4 cup of it sprinkled on top of the pumpkin, then use the other 3/4 cup during the boil. I also will be using 2/3 cup of light brown sugar and adding a 1/2 tsp of the pumpkin pie spices plus an additional 1/2 tsp of Cinnamon to my bottling mixture. Do you foresee any ramifications to doing this?
Well it sounds like a good plan to me. However, I don't typically do dry ingredients in volume, especially not brown sugar. Brown sugar is very compressible and thus volume is not conserved. So in that case you may have a bit of a different OG (I'd guess lower) but it'll still be beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNotch View Post
Had my first glass of this, and its damn good! Its been kegged for for 5 weeks, great carb and flavor!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doed View Post
My SWMBO told me to order enough ingredients to make this again. She said it was the best beer I have made so far. She must have liked it, I think I only got about 5 or 6 pints out of the keg. She drank the rest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomBeerGuy View Post
In November im brewing 20 gallons of this recipe I just cant get enough of it. Defiantly a sad experience when the keg is empty.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! It brightens my day and SWMBO's day when we hear such awesome things being said about this recipe.

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 10-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #1029
Matteo57
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

I had my first taste of the beer fully carbed after sitting in the keg and fridge for 3 weeks now. It's been about 5 weeks since brew day also, this thing is amazing! I wanted to keep drinking it!
I originally brewed it to bottle about half and give away as presents for holiday time, but I might have to do another batch for that or soon there after because I wanted to drink the whole thing yesterday!

Old 10-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #1030
mathin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Cracked the first bottle today (bomber) and split it with my wife ... Both were suitably impressed . The pumpkin was a PITA, but this brew will likely be brewed at my house next fall.

The color of this beer is amazing. Perfect for a pumpkin beer.

Quick Reply