Autumn Seasonal Beer Pumpkin-Citra Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernik

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP 566 - Belgian Saison II
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
12L
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
1 month
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
no
Tasting Notes
Allow 1 month to carbonate and mellow
IMG_3330.JPG

This was my first attempt at a pumpkin ale and it was pretty damn good. I chose to do it as a saison because the temperatures in my cellar get up around 78F in late August and I wanted to make sure it would be ready to drink in time for Halloween. I also upped the ABV to 7.7% because it wanted it to also work as a winter-warmer.

Unfortunately I finished this one off before I got around to posting a picture. The last bottle of it was consumed in mid-June.

I'll be brewing it again in about 2 weeks.

Fermentables
9lb Pilsen
12oz Wheat
8oz Biscuit
8oz Crystal 20L
1lb Clear Candi Sugar
2 x 29oz cans of Libby's 100% Pure Pumpkin (in the mash)
0.5lb Rice Hulls

Hops
2oz Hallertauer (3.8%AA) - 80 minutes
1oz Citra (13.9%AA) - 5 minutes

Spices*
0.5oz Coriander
0.15oz Cinnamon
0.15oz Clove
0.15oz Nutmeg

Mash
127F for 45 minutes
145F for 60 minutes
Mashout at 168F

Yeast
WLP 566 - Belgian Saison II

*Spices - When I brewed this I discovered that I didn't have any All Spice in my cupboard. So I approximated it by doubling the Cinnamon, Clove, and Nutmeg. My next brew will have 0.1oz Cinnamon, Clove, Nutmeg, and All Spice.

This beer had a definite beginning, middle and ending flavors. The first taste is all Saison and Citra hops. The middle taste is where the pumpkin and spices come in and bring a taste of pumpkin pie. The finishing and aftertaste is of the spices and it lingers on your palate (and not in an obnoxious way).

I've been playing with the idea of a pumpkin saison. My starting point was Yuri's Thunderstruck, but with Belgian yeast.

An easier way for you to spice would be to take after Yuri and use Pampered Chef's Cinnamon Plus (mostly cinnamon, with clove, allspice, and a few other spices). If you can't get the real deal, there's a clone recipe on Food.com.

Pardon the nOObish question, as I have never used spices in a beer. When do you use the spices in this particular recipe?

It's not a bad question. I forgot to specify in the recipe. I generally add spices between the last 5 minutes and flameout.

With this beer, I added the spices at flameout.

So to clarify the pumpkin goes in the mash ton not in the boil kettle

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Yes, in the mash. Because pumpkin has a lot of fiber, if you put it anywhere else you risk a trubby mess.

I've been making an English type pumpkin ale (British type grains and hops) the last three years; your recipe looks intriguing. Did you cook the pumpkin? I've been cooking mine (same amount for similar size grain bill) for around 70 minutes at 350.

Y'all are making me wish I made this again with my last batch of beer instead of brewing a couple beers for my wife. Now the earliest I can get to it is November or December.

I used canned Libby's, two of the big cans.

The bad thing about using canned is it isn't really pumpkin. It's actually Dickinson squash. So you may not get as much pumpkin flavor as fresh, roasted pumpkin.

The good thing about canned pumpkin is you can get it any time of year. When I originally brewed it, I wanted it ready for Halloween. Which meant I had to brew it in August, before local pumpkins are ripe.

Any reviews on this beer? I'm really intrigued and wanting to brew something for the holidays next week.

Latest posts

Back