Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Northern Lights Juniper Rye Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #11
jonmohno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1206

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTheGhost View Post
Im thinking a load of caramunich and honey malt with munich and vienna as base. Magnum bittering, hallertau aroma, wyeast 2565 or white labs kolsch yeast.
Og: 1.08ish with juniper in the mash and perhaps in the boil. Srm 20 ish ibu 20 ish. Mash 154ish. Im thinking that the juniper will play nicely with the caramel chewiness and the rye. What do you think?
I like the idea of honeymalt and vienna but not a ton of caramunich. If you have used a ton of caramunich before and like it though ,go for it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2012, 11:42 PM   #12
steinsato
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I have no idea what flaked rye would do, I have never used it. I can only imagine it would be even gummier than regular rye in the mash tun and possibly cause a stuck mash.

I used Cascade in this because I thought the citrus notes of it would compliment the juniper. If you want the juniper to really stand out I would suggest you use some of your german/noble hops. They are more subtle and would prevent you from having to store the beer as long waiting for the hops to mellow out. Unfortunately I don't think any of these beers lasted much over a year in the bottle but the last one I drank didn't seem to have drastically changed so I would say no, the juniper and rye most likely will not come through much more with aging.

On a separate note: I recently made a Juniper Porter by using crushed juniper berries in the secondary. It was experimental so I only used 2 gallons of porter. I crushed 3/8oz of juniper berries, I let those sit for one week and didn't notice them much. Let it go for 3 more weeks and still didn't notice much. Let that go for two more weeks and good lord was there a lot of juniper going on! Too much for my tastes. If you decide to "dryhop" with juniper make sure you taste it frequently to get the right amount, I was surprised how quickly that snuck up in the end.

"The ordinary world is only the foam on top of the real world." Tom Robbins (B is for Beer)
"It's a beautiful day for baseball. Let's play two." Ernie Banks

Old 04-04-2012, 01:05 AM   #13
jonmohno
Recipes 

THanks much.Very imformative,makes me wonder if you could do 3X as much for dryhopp but only for a week or two to get the same effects.
The mash wont effect me i do biab but ive only heard rye flakes impartes more of a spicey dryness to it,not shure though.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:14 AM   #14
jonmohno
Recipes 

How do you feel about FWH with juniper and some last 15? Do you think .5 oz would be much for a 1.7 gal batch and would 30 min to wort cool be too long to chill with juniper still in the wort? I feel when i do last min additons because it takes me 30 min to chill that i really only flavor hop because of this.
I used a little victory and caramunich hope this turns out good i cant see what would go wrong.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #15
steinsato
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I can't comment on the FWH either, I've never done that with hops or juniper. In the last 15 min of the boil is what I have in the recipe anyway, I think that is perfectly fine. I chose 15 min to ensure that any bacteria/yeast on the juiper would be killed in the boil. I do not think a 30 min chill would be bad for the beer either. That is about the amount of time it took me to chill beer when I wrote this recipe. Honestly, I wouldn't be afraind of adding both flavor and aroma hops to your beers with a 30 min. chill. That really isn't excessively long. I bet if you ask around that is what it takes a lot of the brewers on these forums.

"The ordinary world is only the foam on top of the real world." Tom Robbins (B is for Beer)
"It's a beautiful day for baseball. Let's play two." Ernie Banks

Old 12-03-2012, 01:32 AM   #16
Klondike21
Recipes 

Any thoughts on adding half of the juniper berries at the 15 min. point and the remaining half after 2 weeks into the fermentor? A fellow brewer suggested this and I was curious what others would say. Looking to brew this beer in about a week

Quick Reply