Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Partial - Moon Hill Pumpkin Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #31
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

so a few weeks later, and i just decided to crack a bottle that i've had chilling for at least a week. the beer is much clearer now, only a slight chill haze. i used 1056, and this is pretty common for a lighter ale that i used 1056 on. the one finger head didn't last too long but left a nice little cap and spotty lacing. the aroma is much more developed now, nutmeg and cinnamon play nice off the mild bread and dry caramel. the taste is about that, nice pumpkin and spice flavors with a nice, off sweet bready malt flavor. the mouthfeel's a bit thin, but that's all on me, i'll mash a bit higher next time. the carbonations about perfect, but i think i'd use DME instead of corn sugar. again to help with the mouthfeel. i used the co2 vol. calculator on BrewPal and set it to american amber ale for this beer.
overall i think this is a great beer, and that's coming from a guy who's found all of one commercial pumpkin beer that i really like (brooklyn brewery). i'm thrilled that i can make a great seasonal like this and i plan to brew this again with the few minor changes in process i stated. but this time i'll brew it in time for october/november, instead of IN october! thanks for the recipe, man. great beer!!

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 01:22 AM   #32
onipar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Thanks a lot for all the feedback! I'm really glad you enjoyed this brew. I think another brewer mentioned that th4e body was a little thin for their liking too, so that might be something I can improve upon. I'll probably read over all the feedback I've gotten here and try to make a few variations to the recipe for next year. If you have any suggestions as the next season approaches, feel free to post here and I'll try to incorporate it.

Thanks again for posting, and enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77 View Post
so a few weeks later, and i just decided to crack a bottle that i've had chilling for at least a week. the beer is much clearer now, only a slight chill haze. i used 1056, and this is pretty common for a lighter ale that i used 1056 on. the one finger head didn't last too long but left a nice little cap and spotty lacing. the aroma is much more developed now, nutmeg and cinnamon play nice off the mild bread and dry caramel. the taste is about that, nice pumpkin and spice flavors with a nice, off sweet bready malt flavor. the mouthfeel's a bit thin, but that's all on me, i'll mash a bit higher next time. the carbonations about perfect, but i think i'd use DME instead of corn sugar. again to help with the mouthfeel. i used the co2 vol. calculator on BrewPal and set it to american amber ale for this beer.
overall i think this is a great beer, and that's coming from a guy who's found all of one commercial pumpkin beer that i really like (brooklyn brewery). i'm thrilled that i can make a great seasonal like this and i plan to brew this again with the few minor changes in process i stated. but this time i'll brew it in time for october/november, instead of IN october! thanks for the recipe, man. great beer!!

Old 02-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #33
onipar
Recipes 

I know this is a peculiar post for this thread, but I wanted to mention that I've finally released my horror story collection, Welcome to Moon Hill (the namesake of this beer). I actually even decided to include the recipe in the appendix of the collection, as a nod to homebrew.

Additionally, there's a story in the collection that is about home brewing: "Struck by Golden Lightning."

Welcome to Moon Hill: A collection of 19 stories, and a couple surprises.

Moon Hill is a forgotten place that few purposely visit, and even less leave. Once you arrive, the deep dark of the forest creeps into your mind and will not relent. Strange flowers that grow from deer carcasses, murderous lunatics, talking ravens, wriggling parasites that induce eruptive confessions, and demons of every variety: they all live here too.

Even so, the residents of Moon Hill can feel, beyond the fear and distress, that this land is special and they are lucky to live here. Most everyone feels that way right up until the day they come a little too close to the magic of this place. When dusk's light leaks through their carefully locked doors and rips holes in their minds.

Then, they pray for release.

--Welcome to Moon Hill.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #34
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onipar View Post
I know this is a peculiar post for this thread, but I wanted to mention that I've finally released my horror story collection, Welcome to Moon Hill (the namesake of this beer). I actually even decided to include the recipe in the appendix of the collection, as a nod to homebrew.

Additionally, there's a story in the collection that is about home brewing: "Struck by Golden Lightning."

Welcome to Moon Hill: A collection of 19 stories, and a couple surprises.

Moon Hill is a forgotten place that few purposely visit, and even less leave. Once you arrive, the deep dark of the forest creeps into your mind and will not relent. Strange flowers that grow from deer carcasses, murderous lunatics, talking ravens, wriggling parasites that induce eruptive confessions, and demons of every variety: they all live here too.

Even so, the residents of Moon Hill can feel, beyond the fear and distress, that this land is special and they are lucky to live here. Most everyone feels that way right up until the day they come a little too close to the magic of this place. When dusk's light leaks through their carefully locked doors and rips holes in their minds.

Then, they pray for release.

--Welcome to Moon Hill.
that's very appropriate for your thread.... i'm thinking pumpkin ale and some horror stories on a chilly fall afternoon. works well in my mind! and that's awesome that you got your book published, are you a writer by trade, or was this just something you decided to do? either way, congrats, man!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Old 02-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #35
onipar
Recipes 

Thanks!

I'm an English professor and horror writer. If you wanted a sample of some of my other writing (free) my website's link is in the sig.

This collection is a self-published venture, something I've been curious about trying ever since the Kindle became big. But I do have a novel being published by an actual publishing house (Bad Moon Books) coming out in print sometime early this year.

The beer (Moon Hill Pumpkin Ale) was first inspired by my second novel, which I'm still working on. I then created the recipe and brewed it. Not long after, the beer appeared in the short story I mentioned above, and shortly after the idea for this collection was conceived.

Moon Hill has become the unofficial setting for a number of my stories, and I liked the idea of collecting them all together.

My Official Website

Horror and Homebrew: YouTube Channel

My Books:
Soundtrack to the End of the World
Welcome to Moon Hill

Old 02-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #36
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onipar View Post
Thanks!

I'm an English professor and horror writer. If you wanted a sample of some of my other writing (free) my website's link is in the sig.

This collection is a self-published venture, something I've been curious about trying ever since the Kindle became big. But I do have a novel being published by an actual publishing house (Bad Moon Books) coming out in print sometime early this year.

The beer (Moon Hill Pumpkin Ale) was first inspired by my second novel, which I'm still working on. I then created the recipe and brewed it. Not long after, the beer appeared in the short story I mentioned above, and shortly after the idea for this collection was conceived.

Moon Hill has become the unofficial setting for a number of my stories, and I liked the idea of collecting them all together.

i remember you mentioning something about the beer being inspired by a story or visa versa. i'll definitely check out your website and give it a look.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Old 02-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #37
onipar
Recipes 

Thanks, I appreciate that!

My Official Website

Horror and Homebrew: YouTube Channel

My Books:
Soundtrack to the End of the World