Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Partial - Moon Hill Pumpkin Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2011, 03:23 AM   #21
jtkratzer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by onipar View Post
...but I do like the flavor as is too...
That's all that matters until you want people to start buying it from you to make a living.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 04:48 AM   #22
onipar
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
That's all that matters until you want people to start buying it from you to make a living.
Very true.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:45 PM   #23
onipar
Recipes 

A quick update. In my tasting notes I mentioned the ale coming out sort of hazy in the glass. Well, after another week or so of conditioning, I put more bottles in the fridge and let them sit for at least 5 days before opening, and when I poured, they were crystal clear. So I'm now guessing they just needed a little more time to settle.

The flavor has improved even more as well (as is usually the case with conditioning). I'm really happy with the recipe.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:00 PM   #24
gartj
Recipes 

This recipe sounds great! Out of curiosity has the leading recipe been updated to the changes made through your process? I would like to try this this weekend.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #25
onipar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gartj View Post
This recipe sounds great! Out of curiosity has the leading recipe been updated to the changes made through your process? I would like to try this this weekend.
Yes, the recipe was completely updated. Although, I do add some "notes" about the spice tea in later posts.

I think the main thing that has been commented on regarding my recipe is that the spice levels are on the light/mellow side (by design). It's easy enough to simply add more spice if you're looking for a heavily spiced PA, but I really like the spice levels on this. The comments I've gotten are that it's highly drinkable due to the low-medium spicing.

Let me know how it goes if you decide to brew it.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:44 PM   #26
JayLove
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

After conditioning in the bottle for 3-weeks, I now have some follow up tasting notes to contribute on my slight variation of this recipe:

Color:
The beer is a bit hazy and doesn't have much head retention, but a nice deep orange color.

Aroma:
The pumpkin and spices come through prominently and they're well balanced - almost mouth-watering aroma.

Taste:
Previous tastings left something to be desired. But now it's actually very good. The pumpkin and spices really come through great, very nicely balanced and they're not overpowering. There's pumpkin flavor on the nose to a semi-sweet pumpkin pie-ish middle and a lightly spicy crisp finish. I'm very pleasantly surprised!

Several friends tasted this beer along side DFH Punkin' and Blue Moon Pumpkin and my brew was preferred overall. Not to toot my own horn, but I actually preferred it over the others, as well - which really surprised me.

Kudos, onipar, on an excellent recipe!

If there's one tweak I'd like to make, it's that I'd like it have more biscuit in the flavor profile and the finish - currently the flavor finishes a bit bright and almost tangy for my taste. Next year, I think I might up the biscuit & victory and nix the wheat DME, and perhaps experiment more with the levels of the spices used.

I'd be happy to swap bottles whenever.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:22 PM   #27
onipar
Recipes 

Jaylove,

Thanks so much for the compliment and for posting your tasting notes.

I also noted a cloudy appearance when i first tasted the beer, but interestingly, after a couple more weeks of conditioning, and leaving it in the fridge for closer to 5 days to chill, I have a much better clarity in the cup.

1030111632.jpg

1030111632a.jpg

The head retention could be better, as you stated. There was about a minute or two between the first picture I posted to the second, and you can see how much of the head fell. Not horrible, but could be better.

The only other thing I was truly disappointing with was the color. It started out a brilliant orange and has become much more brown over time. Maybe a simple fix of replacing the 8 oz Briess 2 Row Caramel 80 with Caramel 60 or less.

I might even bump the spices up a little bit.

Anyway, I'm very happy that you are enjoying the beer. I would still like to swap a bottle or two, but I'm sort of broke at the moment, and I'm afraid how much it might cost to ship. Any idea? I've never shipping beer before.

My Official Website

Horror and Homebrew: YouTube Channel

My Books:
Soundtrack to the End of the World
Welcome to Moon Hill

Old 11-07-2011, 03:20 AM   #28
JayLove
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi onipar,

I'm not sure about the legality of shipping alcohol to and from Pennsylvania - the little research I did shows that it may not be legal at all, but I'm not certain.

I'm in Washington State where it is legal to ship alcohol to certain states, however you have to be licensed to do so, which is not really something handed out to individuals. However, I recently figured out how to legally ship alcohol just last week when I shipped a couple of bottles to a brewery in Oregon to test a clone I made of one of their beers. I just went to a specialty beer supplier (Malt & Vine) who was able to ship my homebrew on my behalf. It cost me about $20 for the service.

To make a long story longer, onipar, I'd suggests calling up your local beer specialty store and seeing what they can do for you.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:08 PM   #29
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Hey man, I told ya I'd post some notes as I tasted this beer, so....
I'm trying this beer after 3 weeks of conditioning and a few days in the fridge. Like you experienced, it's pretty hazy at this point, chill haze for sure so I'm guessing that'll subside. Color's amazing, like an amber-orangish, great fall color. Head and retention is minimal, but judging from your pics that won't be a problem in another week or so. The aroma's great, pumpkin and spice up front with bready/bread crust malts behind that. The flavor is where this beer shines! I know my batch is still a bit green, but I really think this is one of the better pumpkin beers I've tasted. There's enough pumpkin and spice to let ya know what you're drinking, but it's perfectly balanced with a great sweet bread crust-like malt flavor. Well played, Onipar!
I'm gonna let these sit for another couple weeks before trying another one. I'll post back with more thorough tasting notes then.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:36 AM   #30
onipar
Recipes 

Awesome! I'm glad you're liking the brew. I really appreciate all the tasting notes as well. I'm on the fence about toying with this recipe for next year, or leaving as is.

Thanks again, and enjoy the beer!

My Official Website

Horror and Homebrew: YouTube Channel

My Books:
Soundtrack to the End of the World
Welcome to Moon Hill

Quick Reply