Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Partial - Maple Pumpkin Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #21
CatFishHead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I wanted to jump in on edost recipe here since a couple asked how it turned out. I just brewed this three ago in advance of Thanksgiving and it's aging as we speak. Took a sample the other day and was VERY impressed with the flavor. To be sure this is a sipping beer/night cap sort of brew - heavy, sweet, caramel-y, complex. Carbing will open this up a bit (sampled cool but flat).

Trub settled much quicker than other posters noted but final volume was just under 4 gal due to amount of pumpkin. I fermented @ 70 for 7 days, racked to secondary @70 for 7 days and it was crystal clear with beautiful dark ruby brown color. I've got it aging in a keg @ 70 now. ABV is about 7% which is good, the warmth helps balance the sweet spices.

OG 1.072
FG 1.018 (racked from primary, may have fallen a bit in secondary)

I had read other pumpkin ale posts concerning over-spicing the beer so I decided to make some subs on the spices. I subbed Munich LME/Light DME instead Amber DME (which LHBS didn't have) and added in 1/4 rolled oats for the hell of it. I upped the maple syrup to see if I could pull some of its flavor, knowing it would mostly ferment out. Finally, I subbed New Zealand Hallertau for the Crystal. Here was my final recipe:

6.6 lbs Munich LME
.75 lbs Light DME

1 lb Munich Malt
1 lb Vienna Malt
8 oz Cara-Pils
8 oz Crystal 60L

12 oz Maple Syrup - increased from 8oz (90 mins)
2 large cans of carmelized pumpkin (90 mins)
1 oz NZ Hallertau Hops @ 9% (90 mins)
1/2 tbsp Cinnamon - reduced from 1 Tbsp (90 mins)
.5 tbsp nutmeg (90 mins)

1 oz Fuggles Hops (15 mins)
1/2 tbsp Cinnamon - reduced from 1 Tbsp (15 mins)
.5 tbsp nutmeg (15 mins)

1 tbsp Irish Moss (15 mins)

3/4 tbsp Cinnamon - reduced from 1 Tbsp (0 mins)
1/2 tbsp nutmeg - reduced from 1 Tbsp (0 mins)
1 1/4 tbsp Corriander Seeds - increased from 1 Tbsp and finely ground in morter (0 mins)

Couldn't taste much at first but with aging this is providing a nice clean bitterness to the final flavor.

Great recipe!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #22
BedroomBrewer
Recipes 

Default Spicy Pumpkin Ale

I'm gonna brew two 5 gallon batches of a pumpkin ale today. I was thinking about using a similar recipie as the Maple Pumpkin Ale, which looks very good. I was gonna swap in some cayenne pepper in one batch and try using a belgian yeast in the other.

So, I had two questions:
Do you think I should just cut up the cayenne pepper and drop it into the secondary? Or is there a better way to get that flavor into the beer?

Also, are there any spices in here that you feel might be problematic in a belgian?

Old 06-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #23
RiffMagnum
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Sorry to bump an old thread but i just brewed this recipe last night and was wondering about the "additional fermentation." The recipe says a week in primary, a week in secondary, and two weeks additional fermentation. Not sure what this even means. Can i just go two weeks primary and two weeks secondary?

Old 06-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #24
ao125
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I would assume the final two weeks are for conditioning/carbonation in keg or bottle.

Kegged (1/3): Traditional Old Ale w/ Smith Bowman Bourbon
Kegged (2/3): English Barleywine with pineapple chunks & brown sugar
Kegged (3/3): Belgian blond w/ passion fruit and brett & lacto

Old 06-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #25
RiffMagnum
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao125 View Post
I would assume the final two weeks are for conditioning/carbonation in keg or bottle.
I don't think so. Here's the actual quote:

"-Let ferment for approx 4 days & then rack off the trub to secondary
- Let it sit in secondary for 1 week and rack off the trub to tertiary
- Let it sit in tertiary for 2 weeks & after fermentation is complete, prime & keg"

Old 06-10-2012, 03:02 AM   #26
StumpysBrew
Recipes 

I found with the pumpkin there's a lot of sediment. I didn't brew this exact recipe, but made a pumpkin porter for my wedding and there was a ton of trub. That said I only used a primary and a long secondary. Rack from the primary when the fermentation slows significantly. I hate taking measurements but your hydrometer readings are really how you tell when to rack. Next time I brew this I will use a larger primary vessel, like one of those 7.9 wine buckets and up my recipe's desired volume from 5.5 to 6 gals cause I lost a more to trub than usual. But it was damn delicious. I'm assuming that the extra vessel described is for clarification. Cold crash if you can.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #27
RiffMagnum
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpysBrew View Post
I found with the pumpkin there's a lot of sediment. I didn't brew this exact recipe, but made a pumpkin porter for my wedding and there was a ton of trub. That said I only used a primary and a long secondary. Rack from the primary when the fermentation slows significantly. I hate taking measurements but your hydrometer readings are really how you tell when to rack. Next time I brew this I will use a larger primary vessel, like one of those 7.9 wine buckets and up my recipe's desired volume from 5.5 to 6 gals cause I lost a more to trub than usual. But it was damn delicious. I'm assuming that the extra vessel described is for clarification. Cold crash if you can.
Sounds like a plan. I should have an open fermenter soon, so a long secondary should be no problem. You cold crash right before bottling right? Will a normal fridge (assuming i can find the space) get you the proper temps in order to cold crash?

Old 07-24-2012, 11:50 PM   #28
BrewMeABrew
Recipes 

Sorry to bring up this old thread, but I just brewed this last Saturday since my wife loves pumpkin. It was my 2nd batch, and all I can say was I had many many issues! My largest pot is 8 quarts, so a late addition extract was almost impossible to dissolve and I ended up using several small pots to brew. Then, I wanted to strain everything into my ale pale, but the pumpkin clogged the strainer and I was forced to dump it all in the bucket, per the instructions. I have a couple questions...

1) I only have an ale pale and bottling bucket. Would it be best to transfer to bucket, clean (and sanitize) the pale, and siphon back after week 1, week 3 and week 4 before bottling? I am assuming this is just to clean out all the pumpkin suspended in solution. I was considering just using the bottling bucket for secondary and the primary for tertiary.

2) Being in north jersey, summers are hot/humid and I have my primary in a swamp cooler. IIRC off flavors due to high fermentation temps are really only during the first portion (possibly the reproduction phase?) of fermentation. Can I finish secondary and tertiary without the swamp cooler, sitting at room temp 74F with no ill effects?

Old 07-25-2012, 02:53 AM   #29
JonnySax
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewMeABrew View Post
Sorry to bring up this old thread, but I just brewed this last Saturday since my wife loves pumpkin. It was my 2nd batch, and all I can say was I had many many issues! My largest pot is 8 quarts, so a late addition extract was almost impossible to dissolve and I ended up using several small pots to brew. Then, I wanted to strain everything into my ale pale, but the pumpkin clogged the strainer and I was forced to dump it all in the bucket, per the instructions. I have a couple questions...

1) I only have an ale pale and bottling bucket. Would it be best to transfer to bucket, clean (and sanitize) the pale, and siphon back after week 1, week 3 and week 4 before bottling? I am assuming this is just to clean out all the pumpkin suspended in solution. I was considering just using the bottling bucket for secondary and the primary for tertiary.

2) Being in north jersey, summers are hot/humid and I have my primary in a swamp cooler. IIRC off flavors due to high fermentation temps are really only during the first portion (possibly the reproduction phase?) of fermentation. Can I finish secondary and tertiary without the swamp cooler, sitting at room temp 74F with no ill effects?
Problems arise... not a big deal though. 1) Bottling buckets are fine to use as a primary or secondary. I actually use only plastic buckets and plastic carboys with spouts. it makes transferring SO easy! Also I just did a similar recipe several weeks back too. everything in the brew pot into the primary. When you transfer to secondary, to get as little of the trub as possible there will be a TON. 2) Im not so sure about temps... I'm fairly certain the first week or two is the most important... but it all depends on the yeast. Mine is in secondary and just sitting in my basement without any temp control... we'll see how it turns out.
Keg 1: air
Keg 2: Nut Brown
On Deck: Jasmine Blonde Ale, Belgian Citrus Pale Ale

Old 12-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #30
pfalor
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed this about 4 weeks ago. Followed the original recipe but added a little extra maple syrup. I ended up being out of town, so kept it in primary at 68 for all 4 weeks then bottled. Taste is actually great for warm uncarbonated beer, BUT I have one concern. I used a full 2/3 cup cane sugar for priming (what I usually use for 5 gallons) but didn't realize I only had about 4 gallon yield (danger of primary only I guess). Anything special I should do to avoid bottle bombs?? Will it carbonate faster with extra sugar or just carbonate a lot? Thanks! I'm still excited regardless to try a cold one!

Quick Reply