Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Partial - Maple Pumpkin Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #11
bearduncle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pumpkin / Squash beer from scratch.

Sorry to chime in here a couple of years late, but I find it curious that a community of people that is so dedicated to purism in preparation and brewing from scratch would settle for canned pumpkin and blended 'pumpkin pie spice'. Make your own pumpkin pie spice and roast your own pumpkin, hubbard blue, or acorn squash and truly take control of your beer!!!

Any way, I'm about to embark on this recipe, but using a giant 22lb Hubbard Blue Squash. It has been in the oven (peeled, deseeded chunks resting in a covered pan with an inch of water at 450 F) for 45 minutes so far. Will probably push it to 1hr or 1.5 and then blend it and return to the oven for 30 minutes for carmelization.

Here is my pumpkin spice blend:

3 cloves
10 cardamom pods
.5 nutmeg, grated
2 cinnamon sticks
tsp of mace

... the more variety there is in a man's madness the happier he is...

--Beard Uncle Brews--

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2011, 06:17 PM   #12
StumpysBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by edost View Post
FYI -

I brewed this today. I used 3 large cans of Libby's 100% Pure Pumpkin:

LIBBY'S Nutriton - NESTLE VeryBestBaking.com

Each can was 1 lb 13 oz (29 oz).

My local HB shop was out of Crystal, so I substituted Mt. Hood per their recommendation.

I'll let you know my tasting thoughts once the keg is tapped.

Thanks,

Eric
How do you carmalize this? You said that you put it on a cookie sheet? Is that right? I just feel like this could get real messy putting canned pumpkin on a cookie sheet in the oven.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:00 AM   #13
crbrown25
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I brewed a similar recipe on Saturday. I also spread the canned pumkin on a cookie sheet. It doesn't get too messy. The consistency doesn't really change as it bakes. Just don't overload the cookie sheet. I used 2 large cans. Worked out well for me. Hope this helps.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:52 AM   #14
snevey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Can anyone give their opinion on how this turned out?

EDIT: And I do realize this is an OLD thread...

Old 09-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #15
HopHeadBrewer81
Recipes 

Default Pumpkin Ale brewing options

I am going to try and make my first extract with steeping grains Pumpkin Ale next weekend. It says to add canned pumpkin in the recipe. I have read online that fresh pumpkin is better. I believe it is too early in the year for pumpkins. I would like to have this brewed and ready for Halloween camping trip.

I searched by local grocery store for canned pumpkin but there was not any cans in stock. Too early for canned pumpkin too? I also read to use "sugar, baking, etc" pumpkins and not the big carving kind. So I cannot find either right now. I guess the main questions comes down to is:

Do I need to really add pumpkin to this recipe? And could I substitute another type? (Butternut Squash or Sweet Potatoes?)

Thanks

Last edited by HopHeadBrewer81; 09-09-2011 at 02:29 PM. Reason: wordage

Old 09-14-2011, 02:00 AM   #16
cramered
Recipes 

In response to the last post.....I was having trouble finding canned pumpkin myself here in Denver. I was finally able to find it at a Mexican supermarket when no one else had it.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:42 PM   #17
ao125
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by edost View Post

2 large cans of carmelized pumpkin (90 mins)

- Caramelize pumpkin in cookie sheets @ 350 degrees F for 1 hour (pumpkin will turn a dark brown on the top layer)
So, to be clear, are you opening the cans of pumpkin and dumping them out on cookie sheets, or are you putting the cans directly into the oven, on top of cookie sheets (similar to the way you make Dulce de leche)?

Kegged (1/3): Traditional Old Ale w/ Smith Bowman Bourbon
Kegged (2/3): English Barleywine with pineapple chunks & brown sugar
Kegged (3/3): Belgian blond w/ passion fruit and brett & lacto

Old 09-15-2011, 10:45 AM   #18
StumpysBrew
Recipes 

I think Butternut Squash or sweet potatoes would still be pretty good but might not give the same flavors as the pumpkin.

I was able to find pumpkin at a one of the huge Top's International Supermarkets up here. I used three cans. I scooped them out into baking pans, like the ones you would make brownies in, and carmalized them at 350 for an hour.

I used two in the mash and one more in the boil. I didnt add any spices until the end when I primed my keg with brown sugar, 1tsp cin, 1tsp nutmeg, and one of allspice.

This was a porter recipe and I didn't account for all the losses that I ended up with and lost a lot more than I'm used to. So make sure you take that into account.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:33 AM   #19
HopHeadBrewer81
Recipes 

I still cannot find canned pumpkin but I found some nice baking pumpkins are my local grocery store last night. I have read to cut the pumpkin up into 1" squares and bake them at 350F for 30-45 minutes. I am doing a steeping grain extract kit; will I get any of the sugars/flavor out of the pumpkin if I don't mash it?

Stumpy: What losses are you referring too? Trub at the bottom that soaks up your wort? So, to fix this over fill the fermenter by half gallon or more?

Old 09-19-2011, 01:02 AM   #20
StumpysBrew
Recipes 

Yeah I poured the wort in with the puree and all into the fermenter. Plus I dont strain out the hops. I just let everything settle out in the primary. So with all of that I lost more than I usually do plus I messed up on another step and only had about 5 gallons going into the fermenter instead of 5.5 so in the end I only had about 4 gallons when all was said and done.

Last edited by StumpysBrew; 09-19-2011 at 01:12 AM.

Quick Reply