Maple Pumpkin Ale
6 lbs Extra Light DME
1 lb Munich Malt
1 lb Vienna Malt
8 oz Cara-Pils
8 oz Crystal 60L
8 oz Maple Syrup (90 mins)
2 large cans of carmelized pumpkin (90 mins)
1 oz Crystal Hops (90 mins)
1 tbsp Cinnamon (90 mins)
.5 tbsp nutmeg (90 mins)
1 oz Fuggles Hops (20 mins)
1 tbsp Cinnamon (20 mins)
.5 tbsp nutmeg (20 mins)
1 tbsp Irish Moss (15 mins)
1 tbsp Cinnamon (2 mins)
1 tbsp nutmeg (2 mins)
1 tbsp Corriander Seeds (2 mins)
- Caramelize pumpkin in cookie sheets @ 350 degrees F for 1 hour (pumpkin will turn a dark brown on the top layer)
- Meanwhile, mash grain in 3.75 qts of 172.5 degree water (will stabilize at 158) for 45 minutes
- Sparge with 2.25 gallons of water at 168
- Add pumpkin, DME, 90 min spices, maple syrup & bittering hops & boil for 70 minutes
- Add 20 min spices & flavor hops & boil for 5 minutes
- Add 1 tbsp irish moss & boil for 13 minutes
- Add 2 min spices & aroma hops & boil for 2 more minutes
- Cool wort & rack to primary
- Let ferment for approx 4 days & then rack off the trub to secondary
- Let it sit in secondary for 1 week and rack off the trub to tertiary
- Let it sit in tertiary for 2 weeks & after fermentation is complete, prime & keg
This beer turned out really well. The only thing I might change would be to add another can or two of pumpkin. Caramelizing the pumpkin reduces the volume quite a bit.
I just bought some supplies to make this one, hopefully it turns out as good as you say:mug::mug:
just pm'd you about additional details
How did this beer turn out??? It sounds Like a really fun one to brew!
Any feedback on how this turned out???
So you added the pumpkin to the boil at 70 min? I wonder could you just rack ontop of the pumpkin, or does boiling it infuse more pumpkin flavor?
You could try racking it on top, only one way to see what happens if you do :drunk:
I am planning on making this again today, we'll see how many more cans of pumpkin I add. I'll update this post again after I brew.
I brewed this today. I used 3 large cans of Libby's 100% Pure Pumpkin:
LIBBY'S Nutriton - NESTLE VeryBestBaking.com
Each can was 1 lb 13 oz (29 oz).
My local HB shop was out of Crystal, so I substituted Mt. Hood per their recommendation.
I'll let you know my tasting thoughts once the keg is tapped.
I'm wanting to do a similar recipe, yet none of my local grocery stores carry pumpkin in a can right now (they all say its out of season and supply is too low to carry it).
Any substitutes for the pumpkin? Have any of you tried pumpkin pie spice instead?
|All times are GMT. The time now is 06:08 PM.|
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.