Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Extract - Lady Rumpkin Pumpkin Rum Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #81
Hopelesst
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I would love to brew a batch of this for holloween this year, and as I still have some pumpkin I stored from last year, I could start now. Is four months enough time for this big of a beer?

My fiancé and I brew together. No SWMBO here, only SWBBMS (she who brews by my side).
Primary: Kentucky Common
Secondary: ESB Base-Grain Experiment, Pantry Porter
Bottled: Lady Rumpkin Imp. Pumpkin Ale
Planned: Bramling ESB, White House Honey Ale, Sage/Rye Saison, Ethiopian Coffee Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #82
Hopelesst
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I'm converting this to a partial mash, and I'm pulling ideas from a few of the tweaked recipes on here. This is what I've got so far:

EDIT: Brewed on Sunday, July 1st

The "cake":
4#, 6 oz Pumpkin (roasted and frozen from last fall)
4 oz Molasses
2 Tbsp Pumpkin Spices
Baked @350 for an hour

The "tea":
12 oz Tortuga Spiced Rum
2 Tbsp Pumpkin Spices
Mixed on brew day, added to secondary

The mash:
3# 2-row
2.25# Maris Otter
1# Biscuit
1# Crystal 60
0.5# Flaked Wheat
0.25# Special B

The boil:
4#, 2.5 oz Golden Light DME
2# 45°L Candi Sugar (The first pound was boiled with 1/2tsp yeast nutrient and added to the fermenter on day 3. Process repeated on day 5.)
2oz Mt. Hood (6.1%} @60

6qt starter of WLP001 @64

Estimated OG: 1.086 (not sure what the pumpkin will do)
Measured OG: 1.101 Woops!
Estimated FG: 1.023 (~10.5%)
IBUs: 37.5
SRM: 23

I wanted some of that warm malty character that the maris otter brings, and I think special b will mingle well with the molasses and help lessen the gap between the rum and ale flavors.

A 3 weeks primary, nine in secondary, and five weeks in bottles sound like a good time line?

thoughts?

My fiancé and I brew together. No SWMBO here, only SWBBMS (she who brews by my side).
Planned: Bramling ESB, White House Honey Ale, Sage/Rye Saison, Ethiopian Coffee Porter

TheWeeb Likes This 
Old 07-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #83
Hopelesst
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Our effeciency was a but higher than anticipated, but doesn't quite push us above the ABV tolerance of the CalAle yeast, so we should be fine. There is a chance we'll have to finish off with some champagne yeast but I think it'll go great.

All in all the brewing experience for this ale has been wonderful. It's by far the biggest beer we've brewed, and our first go with fruit but it was all quite easy. Pics:

The pumpkin and spices

Adding our pumpkin to the boil

Pitching half of our starter slurry

All wrapped up in our jim-jams, tucked away for a good nap

TheWeeb Likes This 
Old 07-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #84
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Round three for this will be brewed this weekend. I think I will try a clean yeast this year to see how it goes. I hope I can find pumpkin this time of year!

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

Old 07-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #85
Bigapinnc
Recipes 

Weeb, are you still brewing the original recipe of this or has it changed? If is has, can you post it!? I have been searching for a pumpkin pie in a bottle for a while. I don't know if you have ever heard of the Saint Arnold's Pumpkinator, or Divine Reserve #9. It was a Russian imperial pumpkin stout that was absolutely incredible! Been looking for a log time to have something that could get even somewhere close to the pumpkin pie/abv ratio it had.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #86
Hopelesst
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Two weeks in and we're down to 1.018! We move to secondary for bulk aging next weekend. This is our third batch, first big beer, and first time using fruit abd everything is going off without a hitch!

The sample had some alchohol heat, but less than expected from the abv. It's a bit thinner than I was expecting but drinks silky smooth. Cant wait till holloween!

TheWeeb Likes This 
Old 07-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #87
Hopelesst
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

oops, double post

Old 07-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #88
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I am still tweaking this one.... today brewed:

6 lbs Amber LME
1.5 lbs Light LME
2 lbs 60L
1 lb Honey malt
1 lb Maris Otter toasted @ 375 for 30 min
3x29 oz cans of pumpkin (they get smaller and smaller each year) baked at 350 for an hour with 1/4 cup molasses and two teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice

I used one oz of Zythos @60 min because I had it, and calculates out to 22 IBUs, as I wanted to up the bitterness a bit and had this one on hand from the homebrewer's convention in Seattle. I plan on dry-hopping with 1 oz of French Strisselspalt as I have never used that variety before and think it will go well with this recipe.

The yeast, yes, I was going to use 005 but at the homebrew shop I spotted WLP 540, so I made a 3L starter with it. I know, much talk about how this one finishes high, but those who have let it go longer seem to have great results from a flavor profile perspective with decent attenuation if it is left alone. One of the observations on my last batch was that the spice was overpowering, so I am hoping that this yeast - with its fruity character - will point to the pumpkin flavors.

Not going for a huge beer this time, calculated 1.080 OG and 1.020 FG Actual OG was 1.076.

I am using 16oz of Kraken rum with 1 tsp Maple extract and 4 tsp pumpkin pie spice along with the hops in a few weeks once on secondary. The rum is bigger this year as I want it more up front with the pumpkin.

I am really thinking of an oak spiral as well in the secondary. Maybe a vanilla bean as well.

October may find a trappist-style imperial pumpkin ale tasting like it was aged on oak rum barrels. YEA!

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

People Like This 
Old 07-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #89
Dmatson89
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeeb

6 lbs light DME (Boil 60 min)
1 lb Mars Otter, pre-toasted on a cookie sheet for 20 min @ 350 degrees (this takes the place of the 1 lb Traditional Dark DME in the original recipe in an attempt to get more of a pie crust flavor) (Mash 154 60 min)
1 lb Brown Sugar (Boil 60 min)
1 lb Maple Syrup (Boil 60 min)
¼ cup Molasses (baked with pumpkin)
2 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (double the original to get more of a malt backbone) (mash @154 degrees 60 min)
1 lb Biscuit Malt (mash @154 degrees 60 min)
8.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (mash @154 degrees 60 min)
60.00 oz Pumpkin, Canned, baked (see notes, Boil 60 min)
1.5 oz Goldings (5.0% AA 60.0 min) 15 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)

Pumpkin spice tea: 1 Tablespoon of quality pumpkin pie spice mixed with 12 ounces of good spiced rum (I used Kraken) prepared on brew day but added at secondary (Cut original spice in half)

Should be most excellent for the upcoming holiday harvest season!
Just ordered all the stuff for your second version of the recipe. Anything you would do different if u were to do it again given that I'm using the light extract and not the amber that I see you are using for your next batch?

Old 07-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #90
Hopelesst
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I love the idea of the vanilla bean in secondary and have been thinking of making a pumpkin reduction and adding it to secondary with the rum. I'd boil down some pumpkin with a bit of molasses and water till I got a thick broth, strain it, and boil it again with a bit more water, cool, and rack over it. Like you I'm worried we'll just have a spice beer when we're done. This should push the pumpkin back to the front.

I'm also gonna decant the rum off the spices so the beer isnt sitting on them for 100 days. The tea smells like the spices have done plenty of melding with the rum so far and I dont want that to be the dominant flavor.

Quick Reply