Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Extract - Lady Rumpkin Pumpkin Rum Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2011, 02:47 PM   #51
nocsimian
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

I'm a newb but here's my thought process on it and others could chime in. If those gravity readings were taken @60 degrees, then that should put the beer at around 9-10% abv. Without knowing which yeast you pitched, I would think that alcohol content would be enough to prohibit any future yeast growth. Racking to a secondary may arouse some sleepy critters though.

Any more learned folks care to shortchange my $0.02?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2011, 03:55 PM   #52
mweggert
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just wanted to follow up to my earlier post about making this recipe with less than a full boil. I basically followed the recipe in the original post but decided to bump the Crystal Malt to 2#. I also used 2oz of goldings to account for the smaller boil volume.

The pumpkin was added to the boil, and it was a challenge to keep the threat of boilover under control. My little 4 gallon pot was struggling to contain everything, and the wort was the thickest i've ever seen. It coated my stirring spoon like syrup.

I transferred just under 3 gallons to my primary, and topped off to 5.5 gallons with an OG of 1.081. It's been consistently bubbling away at 66-68 for a few days now.

So, my advice to anyone considering this with a smaller pot, go for it, it's an adventure!

Old 09-24-2011, 08:26 PM   #53
jbfrank
Recipes 

So this recipe sounds yummy -- but I'm thinking of ditching the "tea." I'm just not a liquor in my beer fan. How vital is it to the flavor? Should maybe I add the spices (maple flavoring and pumpkin spice and just not the rum?

Or is this just a completely different recipe and all the notes here (timing, priming sugar calculation, etc) not going to work with it?

Old 09-24-2011, 08:49 PM   #54
nocsimian
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Funny you say that cause I just racked this to a secondary and decided to ditch the tea all together after tasting my gravity sample. I believe the original intent was to have the spiced rum be part of the flavor profile but I think it's good enough without it. I might dump a teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice when I keg, but it's good enough without.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:17 PM   #55
ptra1004
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The OP's idea was to replicate some of the Avery flavor profile. I realized as I was bottling the other day that I never let you guys know that I wound up with just over 3.5 gal of beer to bottle, hence 3.5 oz dextrose for bottling.

Upon first taste, less spice next time for me personally, more rum wouldn't be bad. I added 2 tbsp of vanilla at bottling as well to back off some of that spice...

Old 09-25-2011, 08:29 PM   #56
Charliehart1
Recipes 

So after I get the pumpkin trub out measure the amount of liquid and add that much dextrose in oz?

If I had 4 gallons. It would be 4 oz of dextrose?

Old 09-26-2011, 02:12 PM   #57
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptra1004 View Post
The OP's idea was to replicate some of the Avery flavor profile. .
Yes, that was the reason for the original recipe, to try and duplicate the Avery brew, which was amazing, but $8 for a 10oz pour in their taproom. This year they have greatly increased the production and will be bottling it, so maybe it will be more reasonably priced.

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

Old 09-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #58
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliehart1 View Post
So after I get the pumpkin trub out measure the amount of liquid and add that much dextrose in oz?

If I had 4 gallons. It would be 4 oz of dextrose?
Put this in your bookmarks, in my opinion, the best source for calculating priming sugars of various types for various styles of beers:
http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

Old 09-26-2011, 03:39 PM   #59
Charliehart1
Recipes 

I know I probably sound like an idiot but what is volumes of co2 and how do I measure that

Old 09-26-2011, 03:50 PM   #60
NCBeernut
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

Seems like a lot of unconverted starch to not be doing a mash. Buscuit malt, wheat, pumpkin...no wonder the beer is so cloudy. I would recommend a mash with enzymatic base malt like some six row, and then rice hulls to help out. Looks interesting though.

Quick Reply