Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Extract - Lady Rumpkin Pumpkin Rum Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #41
nocsimian
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Brewed ptra1004's version this past weekend. I added the pumpkin directly to the carboy after I transferred the wort. That was a pain in the ass as I only had a small funnel. Next time, I would suggest putting the pumpkin in a plastic bag. Then cut the corner and use it as bakers bag to "pipe" it into the carboy. My starting gravity prior to the pumpkin was 1.110. I should have made a starter but I stuck with a smack pack of American Ale II. It seems to be doing all right as I had a pretty good krausen and steady "bubbling" within 8 hours.

Smell's delicious and mixes well with the cascades in the Red in the fermentation chest.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #42
ptra1004
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hehe, sorry a one year old in the house slows me down mare than I'd like to admit... I am actually going to use 3.5 oz of dextrose. I re figured my math and I personally would like this one to be a bit less carbonated. No other reason. I have found lately that I just prefer my homebrew to be on the less carbonated side. I have a friend who is the opposite and I think his beers to be overcarbed....

Old 09-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #43
Charliehart1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocsimian
Brewed ptra1004's version this past weekend. I added the pumpkin directly to the carboy after I transferred the wort. That was a pain in the ass as I only had a small funnel. Next time, I would suggest putting the pumpkin in a plastic bag. Then cut the corner and use it as bakers bag to "pipe" it into the carboy. My starting gravity prior to the pumpkin was 1.110. I should have made a starter but I stuck with a smack pack of American Ale II. It seems to be doing all right as I had a pretty good krausen and steady "bubbling" within 8 hours.

Smell's delicious and mixes well with the cascades in the Red in the fermentation chest.
Why did you decide to add pumpkin to te Carboy and not the 60 min boil? Just wondering.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:56 PM   #44
nocsimian

Recipes 

Good question. Mainly because I didn't have it listed to do so on my brewsheet

I was just sharing my notes with a co-worker and realized I left out the # of dark DME as well. I primarily looked at the pumpkin as a fruit that folks would add to the secondary so I just added it to the primary. I might end up with something interesting now. I'll take a pic when I get home. The krausen was a good four inches within the first 24 hours.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:00 PM   #45
ptra1004
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oh lord... Someone else used my version of something. You changed it up though. I'm not responsible!

Old 09-20-2011, 09:37 PM   #46
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 34

The Original, craft brewery version of this that served as inspiration for my recipe, will be released next month. I cannot wait for a side-by-side tasting!
-------------------------------------------------
AVERY BREWING BOULDER COLORADO

In mid October, we will be releasing our next barrel-aged project, and the first bottled pumpkin ale from Avery Brewing Company, the Rumpkin! Here’s the lowdown:
Rumpkin – Ale brewed with Pumpkin and Spices aged in Gosling’s Old Rum barrels
We wondered what would happen if a monstrous pumpkin ale, plump full of spicy gourdiness were aged in fine fresh rum barrels to add suggestions of delicate oak and candied molasses. Rumpkin is what happens!
Release will be limited to CO, CA, TX, VA, GA, MO, MA

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

Old 09-20-2011, 11:46 PM   #47
nocsimian

Recipes 

haha! I did change it up a bit it turns out....smells great right now. We'll have to see how it tastes when I rack it to the secondary this weekend.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #48
ptra1004
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would love to try the Avery, but alas, no NY distribution...

Old 09-21-2011, 08:09 PM   #49
Charliehart1
Recipes 

After 2 weeks my reading was 1.012. Of was 1.085. Should I be worried or is that on track

Old 09-21-2011, 08:23 PM   #50
Charliehart1
Recipes 

Og not of haha stupid iphone

Quick Reply