Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Extract - Lady Rumpkin Pumpkin Rum Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2011, 03:26 AM   #21
HHammer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ag

Hey,
Has anyone made an all grain version of this beer? It sounds amazing and I am trying to do the conversion so I can brew it but when I plug it into beersmith it tells me that my OG is going to be through the roof! like 1.200
any help would be great

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2011, 03:41 AM   #22
HHammer
Recipes 

Hey all, please disregard the last post. I looked at my recipe on beersmith and realized that I had it set for a 2.5 gal batch, that is why the OG came out so high.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:55 PM   #23
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 34

The spice "tea" that will go into the secondary in two more weeks; 12 oz Kraken spiced rum (47% ABV) with maple extract, a bit of vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and ginger. Can't wait!

rumspicetea.jpg  

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

Old 08-25-2011, 08:14 PM   #24
ptra1004
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Giving this one a go tonight with a few tweaks as I go... I may just "build" the pumpkin pie spice instead of using a premixed one and am considering the toasting of a pound of maris otter based on an above suggestion. I was going to use MO instead of biscuit and go caraamber and cara 20 in the steep... I'll post the final version when it's done...

Old 09-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #25
Charliehart1
Recipes 

With so much sugar involved in this. When you bottle it are you adding sugar ?

Old 09-06-2011, 11:18 PM   #26
ptra1004
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So I did brew this beer up (with a few tweaks) on the 25th. Here is how is went;

1# Caraamber (steep)
1# Maris Otter (steep) (toasted for 45 min @ 300F, love that idea)
1# Wheat (steep)
.5# Caramel 20 (steep)

"Boil"
6# Light DME
1# Dark DME
1# Organic Brown Sugar
16 oz. Local Maple Syrup (Sugarbush Hollow for the record, so good)

"Pie"
60 oz canned organic pumpkin
1/4 cup blackstrap moleasses
1/4 tsp cinnamon

"Tea"
375 ml Captain Morgan Spiced Rum
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp nutmeg
1/2 Tbsp ginger
1 Tbsp real Vanilla extract

Before getting started I baked the "pie" for 45 min @ 400F. I steeped the grains @ 155F for 35 min, "sparged" with 1 gal @ 170F, added the brown sugar, DME, pie, and maple syrup to the kettle in that order.

The boil went well. The pie dissolved better than I thought it would. 2 oz of EKGs @ 60 min and 2 oz Tettnang @ 30 min. (I want mine to be a bit more hoppy than OP). I cooled to 72F (immersion chiller, topped up with ground water) and pitched activator of Wyeast 3787 Trappist HG.

Fermentation rocked for 7 days and then pooped out. OG = 1.095 (!). Gravity when I racked to secondary and added "tea" = 1.022. I was hoping for a little lower FG but did not use yeast nutrient or care to rouse this beast again (gave her a good shake on day 4).

Old 09-06-2011, 11:24 PM   #27
ptra1004
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Upon racking to secondary I found a solid three or four inches of sediment in my pail. I am assuming that it was a combination of pumpkin and yeast. I still have a decent amount of sediment in the secondary and have since stuck my carboy in the fridge.

Has anyone else run into this sediment situation? I figure this one to be a bit cloudy when it's done anyway, but it just seemed like a lot, and if the sediment is the pumpkin, did the pumpkin do its job?

I do plan on priming, although probably only with 2 or 3 oz of dextrose...

Old 09-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #28
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptra1004 View Post
Upon racking to secondary I found a solid three or four inches of sediment in my pail. I am assuming that it was a combination of pumpkin and yeast. I still have a decent amount of sediment in the secondary and have since stuck my carboy in the fridge.

Has anyone else run into this sediment situation? I figure this one to be a bit cloudy when it's done anyway, but it just seemed like a lot, and if the sediment is the pumpkin, did the pumpkin do its job?

I do plan on priming, although probably only with 2 or 3 oz of dextrose...
Yes, with 30 oz of pumpkin and active yeast, there will be a huge amount of trub in the bottom of the primary. To minimize this, cold crash the primary for a couple of days before racking to secondary, then rack from the top down. Once the muck is reached, remove the racking cane and strain the rest using a large funnel lined with a nylon paint strainer. Using this method I was able to recover nearly all five gallons in secondary. Here is a pic taken just now of the Lady in secondary, after 3 days, only a "normal" amount of yeast forming on the bottom of the carboy.

EDIT: Opps! I just re-read your post, looks like you have already racked to secondary, sorry...
rump2ndary.jpg  

Fermenting:

Old 09-08-2011, 03:32 PM   #29
ptra1004
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I believe our secondary fermentation look quite the same. I have never brewed with pumpkin before so I was curious about the amount of trub that I got in primary. Plus I used the bucket and couldn't see what was going on...

Thanks for the reassurance! BTW, where did your gravity start and where does it look to end, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 09-08-2011, 04:15 PM   #30
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptra1004 View Post
Thanks for the reassurance! BTW, where did your gravity start and where does it look to end, if you don't mind me asking?
OG was 1.086, when I racked to 2ndary it was 1.024. I expect it drop a couple of points over the next three weeks which will put it near the calculated 1.020. I want it to be rather thick.

Fermenting:

Quick Reply