Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Extract - Lady Rumpkin Pumpkin Rum Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #131
smellie_hippie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeeb View Post
6 lbs light DME (Boil 60 min)
1 lb Traditional Dark DME (Boil 60 min)
1 lb Brown Sugar (Boil 60 min)
1 lb Maple Syrup (Boil 60 min)
¼ cup Molasses (baked with pumpkin)
1 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (Steep @155 degrees 20 min)
1 lb Biscuit Malt (Steep @155 degrees 20 min)
8.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (Steep @155 degrees 20 min)
60.00 oz Pumpkin, Canned, baked (see notes, Boil 60 min)
1.5 oz Goldings (5.0% AA 60.0 min) 15 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)

Trappist Ale yeast WL500 in three-liter starter

Pumpkin spice tea: 2 Tablespoons of quality pumpkin pie spice mixed with 12 ounces of good spiced rum (I used Kraken) prepared on brew day but added at secondary

Brewing this in a couple of weeks, and I am not gonna lie about how excited I am to try this recipe! I want to follow this recipe pretty close, but I am struggling with following some of it...

Since it's extract, I would steep the grains in like 2 gallons @ 155, then transfer to boil kettle and raise water volume to something like 6 gal with the rest of ingredients?

I was also gonna use the strainer/funnel mentioned later in the thread to retain as much wort as possible...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #132
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
Since it's extract, I would steep the grains in like 2 gallons @ 155, then transfer to boil kettle and raise water volume to something like 6 gal with the rest of ingredients?
Yes, if you have the capacity of course. I am limited to 4 gallon boils, so topping off to 5.5 - 6 gal to make up for all the pumpkin volume is wise if you expect to get a full five gallon batch out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
I was also gonna use the strainer/funnel mentioned later in the thread to retain as much wort as possible...
The first batch I tried to use a large funnel with a strainer screen when I transferred to secondary, it got plugged up quickly and was worthless.

Next batch, five gallon paint strainer bag to line the primary bucket, which worked much better since there was much more filtering surface. Using Irish moss at the end of the boil and cold crashing before transferring to secondary really helped, as well as cold crashing before bottling and racking from the top down.

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

Old 10-09-2012, 02:40 PM   #133
ptra1004
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Regarding the funnel issue, if you have the time and a but of money, I got one of our suppliers at my restaurant to get me another "China hat". It is a huge stainless strainer that is conical. It has worked great when I do extract batches. The one I got even had a clip on it that allows it to rest above my kettle...

Old 10-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #134
smellie_hippie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thanks for the quick response!

I am hoping to bottle this as Christmas gifts for my family... giving a small 12oz bottle and a nicer swing top bottle.

"Try the little one first, and then save the big one for as long as you can manage for aging"

Old 10-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #135
Herky21
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Did you add the full 12 oz. of rum to the secondary? and would you adjust it on another take of the recipe?

Old 10-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #136
jrodskreet
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I hope I'M not out of place but here is my rendition of this recipe taken from the others on this thread. These are my notes from my brew day:

13Oct2012: Using the Pumpkin Ale kit from Midwest and adding some of my own ingredients. Will add:
-2 cans (30 oz ea) of Libby’s pumpkin pie mix
-2 12 oz bottles of orange blossom honey.
-12.5 fl oz bottle of Maple syrup.
-2 lb dark brown sugar.
-vanilla extract.
-cinnamon sticks.
-nutmeg
-8 oz rum.

Pumpkin Pie: Add 2 cans of pie mix to pan. Sprinkle 1 lb of dark brown sugar over the top. Add 1TBsp of vanilla extract to the top. Drizzle 12 oz of honey over the top. Drizzle 6 oz of Maple syrup over the top. Sprinkle 1 tsp cinnamon and nutmeg. Bake 300 at 30 min.

Spiced Tea for secondary, make 1 week before secondary, let sit in secondary for 2 weeks. Move 27Oct2012. Add on 10Nov2012. Tea on 03Nov2012.:
8 oz Captain Morgan Spiced Rum
1 Cinnamon Stick
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp real Vanilla extract

I sanitized primary after moving Chocolate Stout to secondary. 2.5 Gallons water for steeping the grains was at a steady 150°- 155. Steeped the grains for 30 minutes. Boiled Pie Mix, 3 oz (provided 8oz saved 5oz for bottling) brown sugar, 1oz Mt Hood hops for 60 minutes. At 15 min left I added the Gold LME, provided spices, 1 oz Cascade hops, 1 lb dark brown sugar, 12 oz orange blossom honey, 6.5 oz Maple syrup. I added ice boiled and frozen 3 nights before. I pitched Safale 05 mixed with 4oz water and 1 drop vanilla extract. I made 5.25 gallons.

OG 1.079 at 84F

Old 10-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #137
Hopelesst
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Opened our first bottle last night. Lots of booze in the nose, but spices come through nicely. At first I got a sharp, fruity tartness backed with the rum and barleywine malt flavors. Roasty pumpkin rises up toward the end. The spices really show up at the end , cleansing the other flavors from your pallet. As it warmed, it got better. The tartness subsided, and more of the pumpkin, nuts, and roast came through.

Needsmore time to deal with the ethanol. Looking back, 12 oz of rum was too much for less than 5 gallons. I didn't think to reduce it for the final volume. Given time it should meld together well. I'm looking forward to this as a winter warmer.

oh, we shot for 2.1 volumes of carbonation and I think it turned out great.

My fiancé and I brew together. No SWMBO here, only SWBBMS (she who brews by my side).
Primary: Kentucky Common
Secondary: ESB Base-Grain Experiment, Pantry Porter
Bottled: Lady Rumpkin Imp. Pumpkin Ale
Planned: Bramling ESB, White House Honey Ale, Sage/Rye Saison, Ethiopian Coffee Porter

TheWeeb Likes This 
Old 10-31-2012, 07:15 PM   #138
tellish33
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Finally got mine bottled today. Smells awesome. I got 4 gallons out of a 5 gallon batch. Used 4.5 oz of brown sugar for carbing. Should be ready to drink by thanksgiving I hope.

Primary:
Secondary: Apfelwein, Pear Wine, Traditional Honey Mead
Bottled: Shot In The Dark, Drunken Emu Mississippi River Water, Skeeter Pee, Simple Hefe, Oatmeal Stout
Future: Drunken Emu Hard Cider

Old 11-13-2012, 02:46 AM   #139
SLI
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Totally brewed this a few weeks ago, in a pumpkin. Getting ready to add the rum sometime soon, but I'm in no hurry with such a big beer...

forumrunner_20121112_194544.jpg

Old 11-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #140
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 34

That is SWEET! I am having an Autumn brew tasting party this coming weekend, about 20 people will try and critique this year's batch, will post the reaction good and bad.

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

Quick Reply