Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Extract - Lady Rumpkin Pumpkin Rum Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012, 02:44 AM   #101
Hopelesst
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmatson89 View Post
How was the pumpkin flavor when you racked it? Please tell me you tried it.
Well we didnt try to collect a sample until after we realized there was much more muck in the fermenter than anticipated. The sample we drew had a lot of yeast and schmutz in it and tasted pretty foul. The carboy smells of rum and nothing else but again, I'm sure it's gonna mellow considerably.

It should be mentioned that I put the pumpkin in at the start of the boil, which I've now read likely drove off much of the aroma and sone of the flavor. The sample we tried last time had, a distinct roasted pumpkin flavor, but not quite the punch I had imagined. If the rum is still overpowering in a month or two I'll work on the reduction to balance it out.

My fiancé and I brew together. No SWMBO here, only SWBBMS (she who brews by my side).
Primary: Kentucky Common
Secondary: ESB Base-Grain Experiment, Pantry Porter
Bottled: Lady Rumpkin Imp. Pumpkin Ale
Planned: Bramling ESB, White House Honey Ale, Sage/Rye Saison, Ethiopian Coffee Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 03:16 PM   #102
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I will probably rack to secondary this Sunday (three weeks primary). The mush is problematic; cold crashing for a couple of days before as well as racking top down minimizes the muck. My experience with the past two batches is as Hopelesst observed, that is, the rum and spice edges do recede with age allowing the pumpkin to come through. Four months is probably the minimum time; a bottle drank one year in the cellar was fantastic.

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

Old 08-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #103
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Just transferred this to secondary. Dry hop using a bag so I can pull them in a couple of weeks. Took a reading, 1.026, not very happy with that, but this is a brew that takes time. I understand this trappist ale yeast really likes to finish slow. I cold crashed both the brew bucket and the rum, both had the heavy stuff settle to the bottom, so the transfer went really clean. I got about 4.5 gallons out of it.

Has anyone taken the pumpkin slurry and made pie with it? I noticed that the trub was really stratified, with lighter yeasty stuff on top, grainy pumpkin in the middle, and at the bottom, chunks of dark stuff - probably the spices and caramelized pumpkin from the bake. Anyway, I pushed off the top, and saved the middle in a couple of plastic containers. I am going to freeze these and then attempt to make a pie this autumn.

Fermenting:

Old 08-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #104
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Just transferred this to secondary. Dry hop using a bag so I can pull them in a couple of weeks. Took a reading, 1.026, not very happy with that, but this is a brew that takes time. I understand this trappist ale yeast really likes to finish slow. I cold crashed both the brew bucket and the rum, both had the heavy stuff settle to the bottom, so the transfer went really clean. I got about 4.5 gallons out of it.

Has anyone taken the pumpkin slurry and made pie with it? I noticed that the trub was really stratified, with lighter yeasty stuff on top, grainy pumpkin in the middle, and at the bottom, chunks of dark stuff - probably the spices and caramelized pumpkin from the bake. Anyway, I pushed off the top, and saved the middle in a couple of plastic containers. I am going to freeze these and then attempt to make a pie this autumn.

Fermenting:

Old 08-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #105
ebskinner1
Recipes 

Likes Given: 19

wow......this post just stops? Really? How did your first batch come out Theweeb? How has any of this come out since then?

Old 08-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #106
ebskinner1
Recipes 

Likes Given: 19

My bad.......I see dates now! lmao......look before you leap! I was pulled in with your recipe, TheWeeb! I have been looking for this. New Hollands Ichabod left me wishing I hadnt tried there pumpkin ale! I was looking for the pie. A desert brew to sip on and enjoy! Im stoked over this find! This recipe!

Old 08-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #107
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I'll pull the secondary hops this Sunday, do a reading and a taste check, and post a response; glad you are going to give this one a try!

Fermenting:

Old 08-26-2012, 11:22 PM   #108
Hopelesst
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Took a sample to taste last night. This beer is way too young still. Syrupy, hot alcohol heat, and some astringency. Granted, this is a huge beer, so aging was expected.

This is definately a spice beer. There is a warm, roasted pumpkin flavor that sits beneath the other tastes in the beer, but it's not up in front. The spice bite with that rummy, toffee taste is what grabs your attention. Whatever bready notes came from the roast and biscuit are still hidden by the alchohol bite.

The flavors under all that heat are good, abd taste like a good evolution of the wort we sampled during the mash.

We made this beer bigger than we planned and I dont think another two months will bring it to real drinkability, but six or ten sure will!

NOTE: Sample was taken from my 12.5% Rumpkin after 1 month in primary and 1.5 in secondary

My fiancé and I brew together. No SWMBO here, only SWBBMS (she who brews by my side).
Planned: Bramling ESB, White House Honey Ale, Sage/Rye Saison, Ethiopian Coffee Porter

Old 08-27-2012, 12:59 AM   #109
Hopelesst
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Oh yeah the color: it's a crisp, clear brown with bright ruby red highlights

Old 08-27-2012, 02:21 AM   #110
hboiardt
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Just brewed this yesterday! Smelled awesome, and the hydro sample tasted pretty darn good. Looking forward to seeing how this beer ends up conditioning.

Only real modification I made was adding 30 oz of pumpkin at 20min, and the other 30 oz in primary.

Quick Reply