Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Extract - Lady Rumpkin Pumpkin Rum Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #91
Dmatson89
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesst
I love the idea of the vanilla bean in secondary and have been thinking of making a pumpkin reduction and adding it to secondary with the rum. I'd boil down some pumpkin with a bit of molasses and water till I got a thick broth, strain it, and boil it again with a bit more water, cool, and rack over it. Like you I'm worried we'll just have a spice beer when we're done. This should push the pumpkin back to the front.

I'm also gonna decant the rum off the spices so the beer isnt sitting on them for 100 days. The tea smells like the spices have done plenty of melding with the rum so far and I dont want that to be the dominant flavor.
I love the idea of a pumpkin reduction in the secondary because like you I'm kind of worried about ending up with a high ABV spice beer. Keep us posted on what you do, I'm thinking there are going to be quite a few people brewing this soon so its fully ready for fall.

And another thing what do you mean by decant the rum off the spices? I deducted your basically siphoning the rum off but how? And is your reasoning for this again so the spices aren't overpowering?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #92
Hopelesst
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

By decant I just meant I'd take some basic measure to put in the rum but not the solids from the spices. I've been swiring the rum tea every day or three and it settles out quite quickly, so even just pouring the rum off the top would be a good start. The rum has taken such a strong aroma from the spices so far and my schedule calls for 10 weeks in the carboy with the rum. That's potentially too much spice based on the gravity sample.

Oh, and it's worth mentioning that my pumpkin is some that we roasted last fall and froze. It's a bit thinner than what you can buy in cans but I think either should work well in the reduction.

My fiancé and I brew together. No SWMBO here, only SWBBMS (she who brews by my side).
Primary: Kentucky Common
Secondary: ESB Base-Grain Experiment, Pantry Porter
Bottled: Lady Rumpkin Imp. Pumpkin Ale
Planned: Bramling ESB, White House Honey Ale, Sage/Rye Saison, Ethiopian Coffee Porter

Old 07-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #93
Dmatson89
Recipes 

Quote:
By decant I just meant I'd take some basic measure to put in the rum but not the solids from the spices. I've been swiring the rum tea every day or three and it settles out quite quickly, so even just pouring the rum off the top would be a good start. The rum has taken such a strong aroma from the spices so far and my schedule calls for 10 weeks in the carboy with the rum. That's potentially too much spice based on the gravity sample.

Oh, and it's worth mentioning that my pumpkin is some that we roasted last fall and froze. It's a bit thinner than what you can buy in cans but I think either should work well in the reduction.
Thanks for the info but I got one more question... What do you mean by your schedule calls for 10 weeks in the carboy with the rum? You talking how long u let spices steep in rum?

Old 07-19-2012, 01:00 AM   #94
Hopelesst
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

My version ended up having a very high starting gravity, so I wanted to give it plenty of time for flavors to meld and any alchohol heat to fade. I feel that aging in the carboy will give me a more consistent flavor throughout than if I bottled right away and let it age there. 10 weeks was an arbitrary number based on my self imposed halloween deadline.

I brewed a bit over two weeks ago. The same day I made the tea. This weekend I'll put the tea (and theoretical pumpkin reduction) in the bottom of the carboy and rack the beer over top of it. 5 weeks before halloween we'll bottle it up so it has time to carb up. not sure if we'll need to pitch more yeast for carbonation (never let a beer sit this long).

My fiancé and I brew together. No SWMBO here, only SWBBMS (she who brews by my side).
Planned: Bramling ESB, White House Honey Ale, Sage/Rye Saison, Ethiopian Coffee Porter

Old 07-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #95
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmatson89 View Post
Just ordered all the stuff for your second version of the recipe. Anything you would do different if u were to do it again given that I'm using the light extract and not the amber that I see you are using for your next batch?
Good question, I am not sure it will make a significant difference since the rum, pumpkin, and spices are up front. My guess is that the amber will have a more prominent malt backbone, but either should work well for this brew.

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

Old 07-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #96
Dmatson89
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeeb

Good question, I am not sure it will make a significant difference since the rum, pumpkin, and spices are up front. My guess is that the amber will have a more prominent malt backbone, but either should work well for this brew.
What do you think of the idea of a pumpkin reduction in the secondary? Was pumpkin dominant enough for this high of abv or would a little more be better?

Old 07-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #97
Hopelesst
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

We moved to secondary last night and wow the bottom of that fermenter was gross. Over a gallon of purred, fermented pumpkin and yeast slurry satunder the beer. We opted against the pumpkin reduction. We decided it would be better to see how the rum and ale flavors mix over the next two months, only adding the reduction if the beer needs it. The advantage of scheduling 4 months for bulk conditioning is that we can check on the progress.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #98
Dmatson89
Recipes 

Quote:
We moved to secondary last night and wow the bottom of that fermenter was gross. Over a gallon of purred, fermented pumpkin and yeast slurry satunder the beer. We opted against the pumpkin reduction. We decided it would be better to see how the rum and ale flavors mix over the next two months, only adding the reduction if the beer needs it. The advantage of scheduling 4 months for bulk conditioning is that we can check on the progress.
How was the pumpkin flavor when you racked it? Please tell me you tried it.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:34 PM   #99
Just_Mike
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Doesn't look like anyone has chimed in on the maple syrup question. I have done a couple maple browns. What I have found is if you want that maple flavor to come through, you need to find grade but syrup. There are less fermentables and more other stuff that leaves the taste you are looking for. It can be a pain to find but it will make a difference in the final product.

Will be brewing this as an all grain this weekend. For fall consumption of course.

My life is better than your vacation

Old 07-24-2012, 12:46 AM   #100
Hopelesst
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmatson89 View Post
How was the pumpkin flavor when you racked it? Please tell me you tried it.
Well we didnt try to collect a sample until after we realized there was much more muck in the fermenter than anticipated. The sample we drew had a lot of yeast and schmutz in it and tasted pretty foul. The carboy smells of rum and nothing else but again, I'm sure it's gonna mellow considerably.

It should be mentioned that I put the pumpkin in at the start of the boil, which I've now read likely drove off much of the aroma and sone of the flavor. The sample we tried last time had, a distinct roasted pumpkin flavor, but not quite the punch I had imagined. If the rum is still overpowering in a month or two I'll work on the reduction to balance it out.

Quick Reply