Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Jalapeno Cream Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2011, 04:40 PM   #81
tuelmen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Well - everything went great on brew day. I sure hope it tastes better than it looks. I noticed some of the green from the jalapenos leached. Actual efficiency came in at 78.75%.

Sundowner was right - That Vodka is HOT!! I also smoked the jalapenos with hickory. Smoked flavor was in the vodka too.

Last edited by tuelmen; 05-15-2011 at 04:52 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #82
Mudflap
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

ok I'm on the hook for this one. Got some fresh garden 'penos from my father in law over the weekend and was smoking some ribs on Sunday so I threw the peppers in. Saw this thread yesterday and took the OP recipe and scaled it for three gals. I was really excited to brew so I did it last night when I got home from work. I didn't have any vienna so I had to sub with victory and I did add a little c-40 for color. I had to sub the hops as well but kept the same alphas and IBUs. I kept everything with the recipe same as OP and I pitched S-05. I put (2) peppers in the boil (15min) and plan to put (2) more in the carboy once fermentation dies down.

Note to self: small batches are not worth it. I was scared of this recipe so I went with (3) gals, but in hindsight the couple bucks saved and just minutes saved off the total brewday isn't worth it. Wish I woulda done the 5gals. Plus the wort tasted great! If it comes out as expected I may do 10gal next time!

I will report back after my next tasting in a couple weeks!

Upcoming: Rogue Dead Guy, Bourbon Oaked IIPA

Old 08-18-2011, 04:35 PM   #83
Mudflap
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

So here's my update after bottling this last night. Actually only ended up with 2.25 gal so I need to work something out on my sparge/boil calcs. I fermented for two weeks exactly, then took the (4) remaining smoked penos that I had frozen, sliced them lengthwise and added everything to the fermenter: seeds, pith, and skin. No vodka soak. After 24hrs it was warm and pretty earthy. After 48hrs it was quite warmer but not too hot and the earthiness mellowed, or at least took a back seat to the heat. I bottled at 48hrs cuz I was afraid if I let it go another day it would be too much heat. I think its gonna be about right though after it conditions. Will update in a few more weeks.

Upcoming: Rogue Dead Guy, Bourbon Oaked IIPA

Old 10-16-2011, 10:04 PM   #84
BartenderCK
Recipes 

I'm brand new to brewing, as I type this my first batch is fermenting away in my closet. I was going to do a Jalapeno Saison but this beer sounds amazing. My question is if I want to make a small batch, 1 gallon fermentation jug, can I just divide this recipe by 5?

Thanks!

Last edited by BartenderCK; 10-16-2011 at 10:11 PM.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:41 AM   #85
JoeBronco
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Thats the easy way to do it...

On Deck ______________ Tasty's Brown (Brown with NB)
1st Primary ____________ Sour Pliny
Kegged________________ Sangio.Port Wine
Bottle Ageing __________ Giddy Gremlin, RyIIIPAWhiskey Vanilla Porter (Bottled 4-20)

SILVER - BABO - "Oaked Whiskey Vanilla Porter"
SILVER - Celebrewtion - "Bourbon Vanilla Porter"
GOLD - BABO - "Hoptop"
SILVER - BABO - "Screaming Cream"
Honorable Mention: (x2) Giddy Gremlin RyIIpa (x1) Pliny The Mexican

Old 11-01-2011, 12:13 AM   #86
BartenderCK
Recipes 

Default 3 Gallon Batch

I plan to make a 3 gallon batch this weekend.

Here is my plan:

3.50 lbs Pale Malt
0.50 lbs Vienna
0.25 lbs CP
0.50 lbs Corn Flaked Maize
1.00 oz Kent Goldings U.K. (3.8%) AA 60 min **Can't get 1.00 oz Cluster [7.0%]
0.50 oz Libertry (3.9%) A 25 min ** Can't get 1.00 oz Liberty Leaf [4.3%]
0.50 oz Libertry (3.9%) A 15 min ** Can't get 1.00 oz Liberty Leaf [4.3%]

7 roasted, 5 added to boil, 2 added to 3 gallon carboy

Sound like a good conversion?? Thanks!

Last edited by BartenderCK; 11-01-2011 at 12:16 AM.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #87
brewgasm135
Recipes 

I just racked mine to secondary, and thought I'd share my experience so far.

This was my first all-grain, so... a few things need to be tweaked next time, haha.

To begin with, I followed the recipe pretty much to spec. I did use Nottingham Ale yeast instead, and also used 5 jalapenos for the boil and 5 jalapenos for dry-hopping. My mash temps were very low at 147, and it seemed no matter how much boiling water I added, I couldn't get it the raise. I didn't want to add too much, so I would still have a good amount for the single sparge (I batch-sparged). I ended up with a OG of 1.46 and a FG of 1.004, as expected, with such a low mash temp. Looks like it'll be a pretty dry beer.

I tasted my batch when racking to secondary after two weeks. With just the 5 jalapenos in the boil, its got some heat in the back of the throat. I had already soaked 5 roasted jalapenos for dry-hopping, so I added them anyways. I figured I'll leave them in for 3 days, after hearing the heat mellows a bit during bottle conditioning.

As for the vodka that the jalapenos were soaked in... WOW. I had left them soaking for two days and MAN WAS IT SPICY! Using a couple shots for a bloody mary was pretty much out of the question. I didn't want to waste the vodka though, so I used a bit of it to fill my airlock, and made a big batch of hot sauce with the rest! In a food processor went about 12 tbsp of jalapeno vodka, a can of diced tomato, some garlic, salt, pepper, and cilantro. Then I let it simmer for a while to burn off most of the alcohol and reduce a bit. I cooled it off, added vinegar and bottled it. YUM!

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled (Aging): Jalapeno Cream Ale
Bottled (Aging): Pumpkin Spice Ale
Bottled (Drinking): Jack O' Lantern Smokes Wheat
Next Up: Oatmeal Stout

Old 11-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #88
pianoguitar
Recipes 

So the vodka sterilizes the jalapenos? It seems to be removing their heat, which seems strange if the vodka isn't added to the fermenter.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:18 PM   #89
brewgasm135
Recipes 

Yeah, I'm not quite sure why the vodka soaking step is in place if we are first roasting the jalapenos, which would sanitize them anyways. You can go right ahead and add that vodka to your fermenter if you'd like! It'll up the alcohol content a bit and for sure increase the heat! I wonder if the dry-hopping adds more of a jalapeno flavor as well though?

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled (Aging): Jalapeno Cream Ale
Bottled (Aging): Pumpkin Spice Ale
Bottled (Drinking): Jack O' Lantern Smokes Wheat
Next Up: Oatmeal Stout

Old 11-10-2011, 10:38 PM   #90
Nemleu
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewgasm135 View Post
Yeah, I'm not quite sure why the vodka soaking step is in place if we are first roasting the jalapenos, which would sanitize them anyways. You can go right ahead and add that vodka to your fermenter if you'd like! It'll up the alcohol content a bit and for sure increase the heat! I wonder if the dry-hopping adds more of a jalapeno flavor as well though?
I have made this beer twice and plan on making it again very soon. My first batch took 3rd place...... very cool. It had a great balance and was described by a fellow brewer as:

What I liked most about it was the way the beer transitions across the palate. The aroma was smoky, with a "green" aroma like cutting into fresh jalapenos. The smoke flavor continues to come through along with everything else and adds a wonderfully assertive balance to the whole beer. The initial flavor somewhat matches that aroma, then it finishes with a nice balancing act from the cream ale itself. Then the heat comes in the very late finish, making you want to reach for your next sip.

In my opinion soaking the smoked/roasted jalapeno's is extremely important. First, it kills off any hidden bacteria. Second, your tincture can be used in the bottling bucket. The vodka draws out all the heat and jalapeno flavors. The point is, you control the heat by adding as much of the tincture as needed.

Hope that helps....

Quick Reply