Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Jalapeno Cream Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2010, 04:57 PM   #41
gicts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I guess I waited too long and can't edit my earlier post.

I made mine with a whole 12 oz. jar of sliced jalapenos because I couldn't find fresh, and added some of the packing juice and vodka. I'm not sure if that had something to do with the retention of the taste, but I finally finished my keg last night and the aftertaste had died down a little, but it was still near perfect.

I cooked, soaked, and added the jalapenos as directed, let a few slip into the fermenter, and added the juices and vodka after the fermentation had settled a bit.
I'd say the spice and burn was similar to something of a banana pepper. Certainly bearable.

A big thanks to the OP. This was my first competition. The third place ribbon was for a Kolsch. Out of 10 brews that I entered, your recipe score the highest for me

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2010, 09:18 PM   #42
huntsman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
gonna brew this tomorrow. huntsman you really used 6 in the boil? I think i'm gonna do 4, then 7 in the secondary.
Actually, 7 in the boil and 6 in primary with requests next time for more. Do it. It's well worth it.
....very sorry for the late post

A Day Is Not Wasted As Long As You Learn Something New

Old 09-29-2010, 09:20 PM   #43
huntsman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gicts View Post
I guess I waited too long and can't edit my earlier post.

I made mine with a whole 12 oz. jar of sliced jalapenos because I couldn't find fresh, and added some of the packing juice and vodka. I'm not sure if that had something to do with the retention of the taste, but I finally finished my keg last night and the aftertaste had died down a little, but it was still near perfect.

I cooked, soaked, and added the jalapenos as directed, let a few slip into the fermenter, and added the juices and vodka after the fermentation had settled a bit.
I'd say the spice and burn was similar to something of a banana pepper. Certainly bearable.

A big thanks to the OP. This was my first competition. The third place ribbon was for a Kolsch. Out of 10 brews that I entered, your recipe score the highest for me
That is awesome. Congrats and one thrown back in honor of your accomplishment and award.

A Day Is Not Wasted As Long As You Learn Something New

Last edited by huntsman; 09-29-2010 at 09:23 PM. Reason: removed pic

Old 11-01-2010, 06:23 PM   #44
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 210 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 369

i used 7 jalapenos in the dry hop. roasted at 350 for 20 min, soaked in vodka overnight.

it's a good beer, good pepper flavor, but no heat whatsoever. none.

i used 4 in the boil. wth? I tasted the jalapenos before adding, they were definitely spicy.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:09 AM   #45
BLM
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
i used 7 jalapenos in the dry hop. roasted at 350 for 20 min, soaked in vodka overnight.

it's a good beer, good pepper flavor, but no heat whatsoever. none.

i used 4 in the boil. wth? I tasted the jalapenos before adding, they were definitely spicy.
interesting I made this last week and used 5 in the boil and am going to dry hop 5 wonder how its going to turn out

Old 11-23-2010, 03:39 AM   #46
BLM
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

mine turned out great there is a bit of heat almost to much hits you right in the back of the throat but taste great

Old 12-19-2010, 10:14 PM   #47
cino101
Recipes 

Whats the benefit of 24hour vodka soak? I can follow the instructions on the vodka soak in the secondary (maybe sanitary reasons?), but to do so for boil I will have to wait till tomorrow and I would rather start on it tonight. Any opinions out there on 20-30min bake and directly pitch into wort @ 15min? Is the point of the vodka to tone down the hotness before pitching into the wort?

Old 12-30-2010, 05:29 PM   #48
ohso
Recipes 

I thought I would chime in on this recipe since I am brewing my 4th batch. I find you do not need this vodka soak. I keep playing w/ the peppers. In Utah we have a brewery called Wasatch, they do an excellent Jalapeno cream ale. Matt beemer, head brewer adds a pound per barrel of fresh cut jalapenos to the mash. I did this the last time on this recipe and during transfer to 2ndary, it was smelling hot, and tasting hot. I went balls out and added some cleaned jalapenos to the last 15 min of boil and I added more in secondary. I love the recipe, the hops are awesome. Note, every time I make this, I want it hotter. Maybe it is the quality of jalapenos and such. Sundowner, thanks for the recipe, everyone loves it and want me to brew it. I add in a lil' crystal 20-40 to up the color. I may add some honey malt the next time!

Old 01-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #49
duffman2
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well I'm about to try my luck with this brew. I've been wanting to do a pepper beer for some time now and this sounds perfect. I didn't soak the peppers in vodka so I'll just have to throw them in the boil for now and see how it turns out.

And the peppers I'm using are coming from my garden. They were mild salsa peppers that I left unpicked for far too long. Now they have a deep burn to them so I'm only gonna put in one or two for now until I can taste it later and see how much heat I got out of them. And I just baked them in the oven for 20 minutes, put them in a ziploc bag to steam for a while and now I'm gonna peel the skin off and cut out the seeds and veins. Hopefully that helps

Wish me luck!

Cheers

Old 01-28-2011, 06:06 PM   #50
ohso
Recipes 

Update on my beer; It tastes awesome! It has heat at the back of the palate and is not over the top. The beer has a great character to it. This beer get better every time I brew it. Thanks sundowner, this beer is awesome. I added 16 halved jalapenos to the mash and do a sach rest @ 60min. I also added 7 cleaned jalapenos to the boil @15min and also added the same amount @ 2ndary. This beer is going fast and shows that a great base recipe w/ peppers is a always a good bet!

Quick Reply