Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Jalapeno Cream Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2014, 01:42 AM   #241
icanbenchurcat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

This is amazing! I had a cream ale partial mash kit I used, 1 oz of cluster at 60 min. 4 jalapeños de-seeded and roasted at 15 min boil
2 jalapeños roasted and soaked in vodka for a day, strained, add just the vodka, a little at a time (at kegging), I ended up adding all of the vodka.

Sweet corny smell, slight sweet taste. Strong roasty/peppery flavor in the middle, a very slight burn in the back of the throat.

Perfectly balanced in my opinion! This will be my regular "first beer of summer"

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 09:56 PM   #242
gregorybriscoe
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Made this beer with my dad a few weeks ago along with a german lager. Flash forward 3 weeks and I take the lager out ofnthe fridge for 2 days. Dad accidentally put the cream ale in the fridge and left the lager out. He put 2 roasted jalapeños in the lager. I was surprised when I went to bottle and put all the pieces together. The lager tasted great so I went ahead and bottled. Think I'll be ok to go ahead and bottle the non jalapeño dry hopped cream?

Old 04-24-2014, 10:56 AM   #243
Shenanigans
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

So I have sourced some Cluster but now I need to decide what to use as a substitute for Liberty.
I already have a lot of Mt. Hood, Tettnang and Hallertau Mittelfruh which according to several different charts are 3 recommended substitutes for Liberty. Anyone know which one of these would fit best into this recipe? Would Saaz also be worth a try?

Thanks!

Old 04-30-2014, 01:02 PM   #244
icanbenchurcat
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenanigans View Post
So I have sourced some Cluster but now I need to decide what to use as a substitute for Liberty.

I already have a lot of Mt. Hood, Tettnang and Hallertau Mittelfruh which according to several different charts are 3 recommended substitutes for Liberty. Anyone know which one of these would fit best into this recipe? Would Saaz also be worth a try?

Thanks!
I only used 1oz of cluster, .75@60 .25@15.
I would not change my version because I liked it so much, but I would say mt hood just because it is more 'American' kinda but not really

Old 04-30-2014, 09:50 PM   #245
Shenanigans
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icanbenchurcat View Post
I only used 1oz of cluster, .75@60 .25@15.
I would not change my version because I liked it so much, but I would say mt hood just because it is more 'American' kinda but not really

Thanks for the reply.
Indeed all Cluster might also be a decent option, I have about 4oz so I'll probably use a bit more than 1oz to get it closer to the IBUs from the original post.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:45 PM   #246
dbillingsby
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I brewed this using the original recipe, except for the hops, a few weeks ago and thought I would share my experience. I like spicy things but was a little scared about a spicy beer. I added 4 jalapeños to the boil. The beer had a nice little kick after the boil. Waited 10 days moved to secondary and it still had about the same spice. So far so good. Added 3 more jalapeños to secondary and tasted about 4 days later. Holy crap! It was like drinking a liquid jalapeño. Way to hot. Pulled the jalapeños out of the secondary and let it sit for about another week or so. After bottling the hotness went down a lot and was drinkable. Tried one last night after about 1.5 weeks in bottle and it is very very yummy. Just the slightest spice in the aftertaste. So far this is my favorite brew I have done.
For those of you worry about the spiciness of the beer it is not that bad and as time goes it gets better.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Old 05-12-2014, 04:55 PM   #247
TheOrlandoGuy
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Good to know! I just poured the first pint of this and experienced the same thing. I did 4 jalapeños in the boil, and 4 in the primary after 7 days. Let them sit for another 10 days and kegged. It's only been in the keg for a week, but it's like drinking a jalapeño! Not unbearable, but definitely more prominent than I originally thought.

Still a great brew and I hope to enter it into a competition soon!

Old 05-16-2014, 04:35 PM   #248
SexualCastles
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I brewed this last night, I had to use crystal 15 as the LHBS didnt have 10 but shouldn't cause to much drama. I like things hot so added 6 large Jalapeños, smaller peppers are generally hotter so I upped it a little. Rinsed, sliced and added 15min into the boil.

Initial sample before pitching the yeast had good creaminess and a slightly noticeable burn in the back of the throat. I will do as per original recipe and add to secondary aiming for 6 days and will eat one of the jalapeños to determine heat before making a tincture and adding the whole lot.

Not sure if I am going to smoke the peppers yet but think I might have to..

Old 05-17-2014, 11:15 AM   #249
christobrew
Recipes 

gonna brew this tonight as my 3rd BIAB batch and 2nd chile beer. my first chile beer was a patty's chile ale clone that tasted a whole lot better than the original. i think i grabbed 7 jalapenos from the store, so i'll be using all of those in the boil and getting more for secondary.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:43 AM   #250
TheOrlandoGuy
Recipes 

Quick update on this - after letting sit in the keg for about 3 weeks, the spice has toned down quite a bit and has really incorporated itself more into the overall flavor of the beer. At first, it dominated the palate. Give this one some aging time, it'll do it nothing but good.

Quick Reply