Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Jalapeno Cream Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2013, 04:17 PM   #191
Cathedral
40oz to freedom
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 178

I just want to say that I brewed this a few months ago, and it is a HUGE hit. I have not had a single person say they didn't completely enjoy it, and two brewing buddies are now determined to get their own batches going. Make this beer. You will not be disappointed.

I made it exactly as the op described and I don't think a single thing needs to be changed.

Kegged: Jalapeno Cream Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #192
njale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

this was surprising good, i will rebrew

Old 04-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #193
Doed
Route 150 Brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doed View Post
I brewed this yesterday. Roasted the 4 jalapeno, did not soak in vodka, threw them in the boil. I pitched a slury of Denny's Favorite from a wheat beer I did about 3 weeks ago. It was bubbling away this morning with a nice krausen.
I put this in secondary on Sunday the 21st with 2 sliced, roasted, and vodka soaked jalapenos. I let that sit until Friday, the 26, which would have been 6 days, in my keezer at about 38°. I racked the beer from secondary to keg on that Friday evening. The beer was very clear. I poured a sample and the roasted jalapeno aroma and flavor were amazing. There wasn't much heat but the flavor was very good.

I will definitely brew this again.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:44 PM   #194
sloanfamilydsm
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I brewed this one up today in celebration of Homebrew Day (I have to work on the 4th). Used 5 "king sized" japs sliced up to 1/4 inch strips ,added seeds and all, with 15 min left. Followed the recipe to the T and the hydro sample had some kick to it. I'm looking forward to tasting again when racked to secondary to see if it retains its heat after fermentation.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #195
sloanfamilydsm
Recipes 

Racked this to the secondary on 5/17/2013 and added 4 more "king sized" roasted japs sliced up to 1/4 inch strips, seeds and all. I retained the vodka and saved it for the bottling bucket if extra heat is needed.
I believe fermentation did not reduce the spiciness but did increase the jalapeno flavor.

Bottled this on 5/24/2013. I did not add the vodka to the bottling bucket as SWMBO'd commented that tasting this beer was "like drinking pepper" (I personally thought that is was definitely spicy and the jalapeño flavoring was starting to dominate the flavor profile. After a couple weeks bottle conditioning I hope it will have even more pepper flavor and tone down the heat).

Excellent beer so far and it will only get better. You better love peppers if you brew this beer

Old 06-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #196
sloanfamilydsm
Recipes 

After 2 weeks in the bottle it never did loose any of the heat. I would rate the hotness of 9 jalapeños at a 6 out of 10, and I like heat. I had some co-workers sample and they all agreed that while the flavor of this beer is excellent, the 9 total jalapeños used gives it a throat burning sensation that is unexpected when drinking a beer. When you first take a drink you will get a really good jalapeño cream ale flavor and about 4 seconds later the back of your mouth/throat will start to burn.

Next time I will reduce the number of jalapeños to OP's recommendation of 4 in the boil and 3 in the secondary to make this easier to drink.

Thank you sundowner for posting this recipe as I will be brewing it again. I believe the base recipe could be used without any "jalapeño flavoring" and make an excellent beer.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #197
wakers3
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I followed Nemleu's suggestion of making a tincture. Did about 6 japs and a cayenne in some Tito's and tasted a couple of times while mixing in but before bottling to make sure my heat was proper...then just dumped all the juice into the beer and prematurely had the first one last night with some relatives. one word: INCREDIBLE!

I have made what I consider some pretty decent beers since my brewing journey began and even had someone tell me that one of mine was the best beer she had ever had and this one is the one I would enter into a competition if I were going to do such a thing. Heat pumps out of this beer, but not in a way that rips your throat out. And the jalapeno aroma and flavor are out of sight!

Can guarantee this will be brewed again at my house.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #198
sundowner
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm really glad so many folks have enjoyed my little recipe...Cheers to you

A person who knows everything, knows nothing...

Old 07-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #199
Nemleu
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakers3 View Post
I followed Nemleu's suggestion of making a tincture. Did about 6 japs and a cayenne in some Tito's and tasted a couple of times while mixing in but before bottling to make sure my heat was proper...then just dumped all the juice into the beer and prematurely had the first one last night with some relatives. one word: INCREDIBLE!

I have made what I consider some pretty decent beers since my brewing journey began and even had someone tell me that one of mine was the best beer she had ever had and this one is the one I would enter into a competition if I were going to do such a thing. Heat pumps out of this beer, but not in a way that rips your throat out. And the jalapeno aroma and flavor are out of sight!

Can guarantee this will be brewed again at my house.
Since I first read Sundowner's post I've made 35 gallons of this beer. I can’t keep it in stock so now its part of my regular rotation. Like all of us I’ve experimented with the recipe. I’ve used different yeasts, and multiple combinations of hops. I always stick with hops with low alpha acids. I’ve even added smoked grains to a couple of batches. I only entered this into a competition one time and it took 3rd place. I always use a tincture. I think controlling the amount of heat is the key to keeping the beer consistent from batch to batch. I also smoke the jalapenos on the grill before putting them into the vodka. I think I’ve explained it this way before:

What I liked most about it is the way the beer transitions across the palate. The aroma is smoky, with a "green" aroma like cutting into fresh jalapenos. What’s really nice is how the smoke flavor continues to come through along with everything else. It adds a wonderfully assertive balance to the whole beer. The initial flavor somewhat matches that aroma, then it finishes with a nice balancing act from the cream ale itself. Then the heat comes in the very late finish, making you want to reach for your next sip.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #200
wakers3
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemleu View Post
Then the heat comes in the very late finish, making you want to reach for your next sip.
BINGO!!!

Nemleu,
Ever had a problem getting the heat to hold with age?

Seems based on your post tho, that you have actually never had a problem with age...

Quick Reply