Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Jalapeno Cream Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #181
TacoBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Ya...no need for lactose. You want this crisp. Think mine gets down to 1.008-1.010.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 11:56 PM   #182
sharpi462
Recipes 

Awesome...thanks guys!

Old 03-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #183
RandalG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Made this today as one of the beers for an upcoming Cinco De Mayo party we have at work every year. I split,roasted and threw four peppers in vodka over nite seeds and all. Then this morning I scraped out the seeds and just threw the peppers in the boil. I was going to do the same to the three more I throw in the secondary.The original instructions are a little vague so does that sound right? I'd like some heat,enough to know it's there but not overwhelming as many of the customers I will be serving to aren't necessarily into craft beer so I don't want it to be over the top hot.The sample tasted pretty good so far.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:55 AM   #184
njporter
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

brewed this tonight, just did a shot of the jalapeno vodka, that burned

Old 03-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #185
Nemleu
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandalG View Post
Made this today as one of the beers for an upcoming Cinco De Mayo party we have at work every year. I split,roasted and threw four peppers in vodka over nite seeds and all. Then this morning I scraped out the seeds and just threw the peppers in the boil. I was going to do the same to the three more I throw in the secondary.The original instructions are a little vague so does that sound right? I'd like some heat,enough to know it's there but not overwhelming as many of the customers I will be serving to aren't necessarily into craft beer so I don't want it to be over the top hot.The sample tasted pretty good so far.
I've brewed this excellent beer 5 times. Save the Vodka/Jalapeno tincture for the bottling bucket. It’s the only way you can control the heat. I’m at the point where I don’t put peppers in the boil, primary, or secondary. Flavor to taste with the tincture and you can’t go wrong.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #186
njporter
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

for the peppers going in the secondary...if you soak them in vodka, do you still need to roast them? does the roasting change the flavor at all or is it more for a double sanitation?

also...the peppers that i added to the boil, i added them directly to the boil and not in a hop bag. when i transferred the wort into the primary, i couldn't filter the peppers out so there still in the primary, does that matter?

Old 03-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #187
Nemleu
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njporter View Post
for the peppers going in the secondary...if you soak them in vodka, do you still need to roast them? does the roasting change the flavor at all or is it more for a double sanitation?

also...the peppers that i added to the boil, i added them directly to the boil and not in a hop bag. when i transferred the wort into the primary, i couldn't filter the peppers out so there still in the primary, does that matter?
I roast them and for an added touch smoke them with Hickory. It adds a very nice touch. Than soak them in vodka. The vodka draws out the smoke, jalapeno flavor and heat. After several weeks discard the peppers, you only need the tincture for racking. I don't add peppers to the boil, primary or secondary.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #188
rgauthier20420
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 61

So I'm planning on doing this recipe, but I don't want to add the peppers to the boil.....actually I don't want to add whole/chopped peppers at all. My wife made a simple syrup with jalapeno's, suger, and water that was nice and hot but smooth. I'm thinking I can make a simple syrup with these same ingredients on a slightly larger scale and get the same heat that I'm wanting.

I know the added sugar will increase the ABV, but that's secondary to the want to get the pepper heat in the final product. What are peoples thoughts on doing it this way?

Thanks OP for this recipe! Cheers!

Old 04-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #189
Doed
Route 150 Brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I brewed this yesterday. Roasted the 4 jalapeno, did not soak in vodka, threw them in the boil. I pitched a slury of Denny's Favorite from a wheat beer I did about 3 weeks ago. It was bubbling away this morning with a nice krausen.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #190
rgauthier20420
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doed View Post
I brewed this yesterday. Roasted the 4 jalapeno, did not soak in vodka, threw them in the boil. I pitched a slury of Denny's Favorite from a wheat beer I did about 3 weeks ago. It was bubbling away this morning with a nice krausen.
Doad, let us know how this turns out in terms of heat. A roasted pepper flavor does sound good indeed. The heat along with that added aroma would be nice with this beer I think. Happy brewing!

Quick Reply