Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Jalapeno Cream Ale

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #111
Mudflap
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Memphis
Posts: 73
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default


Made a version of this beer inspired by the op recipe last summer and just entered it into my first brewing competition. Well, it took 1st place in category 21A! There were 18 other entries in that category so I think it must have stood out pretty well to the judges. Just got the news today and I'm so stoked!
fwiw, I smoked the peppers over cherry wood and did not do the vodka soak for the secondary, I was scared it would strip the subtle smokiness I wanted in the finished beer. I did freeze the peppers to sanitize and I used them sparingly in secondary for only 4 days. Came out a tad "hot" at first but has mellowed with aging and balanced nicely, although there is barely a hint of smokiness remaining.
Great recipe! Ready for my garden to come in this year for another batch!

__________________
Fermenting: Two Hearted Ale
Kegged: DFH 60min clone, Punkin' Head, Apfelwein
Bottled: Smoked Jalapeno Cream Ale, Belgian Tripel, Oatmeal Stout
Upcoming: Rogue Dead Guy, Bourbon Oaked IIPA
Mudflap is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #112
BLM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NW oregon
Posts: 127
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
Made a version of this beer inspired by the op recipe last summer and just entered it into my first brewing competition. Well, it took 1st place in category 21A! There were 18 other entries in that category so I think it must have stood out pretty well to the judges. Just got the news today and I'm so stoked!
fwiw, I smoked the peppers over cherry wood and did not do the vodka soak for the secondary, I was scared it would strip the subtle smokiness I wanted in the finished beer. I did freeze the peppers to sanitize and I used them sparingly in secondary for only 4 days. Came out a tad "hot" at first but has mellowed with aging and balanced nicely, although there is barely a hint of smokiness remaining.
Great recipe! Ready for my garden to come in this year for another batch!
nice thats cool I entered mine last year did not do so well only 30/50. I think part was I put it in 21A but called it a jalapeno cream ale. should have called it jalapeno ale maybe the judges where not so good . becouse everyone I give it to loves it
__________________
BLM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #113
mugen112
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 116
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


So let's say we want to add the vodka tincture to the cooled wort for increased spice. My concern is finding abv for the finished product. Do you take the og reading before adding the vodka? That way the vodka alcohol will be factored into the fg reading?

__________________
mugen112 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #114
Nemleu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Michigan - Upper Peninsula
Posts: 68
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by mugen112 View Post
So let's say we want to add the vodka tincture to the cooled wort for increased spice. My concern is finding abv for the finished product. Do you take the og reading before adding the vodka? That way the vodka alcohol will be factored into the fg reading?
Although the Vodka might have a small effect on ABV, I think it would be minimal. It's early in the AM, but I think it would work something like this: If you used 8 ounces of tincture at bottling that would equate to 1 teaspoon per 12 ounce bottle.
__________________
Nemleu is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #115
imtrashed
Bushkill Creek Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: West Orange
Posts: 157
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemleu View Post
Although the Vodka might have a small effect on ABV, I think it would be minimal. It's early in the AM, but I think it would work something like this: If you used 8 ounces of tincture at bottling that would equate to 1 teaspoon per 12 ounce bottle.
I am going to sample this for the first time tonight, so I don't know what mine is going to taste like yet, but I would imagine that 8oz tincture is going to be a LOT to add to a 5 gallon batch. Anyone else have any thoughts? Maybe I just feel that way due to the amount of time I soaked my peppers. I love the heat and the jalapeno flavor, but just tipping my fingertip in the tincture was pretty strong. Try and adjust.
__________________
Primary:
Secondary:
On Deck:
Bottle conditioning / Ageing: Bourbon-Oaked Vanilla Porter
Consuming: Black IPA, Stone Vertical Epic 08.08.08 clone, EdWort's Apfelwein, English Barleywine, Sweet Mead, Punkin' Ale, Allagash Tripel clone, Pre-Prohibition Lager, Patersbier
Batches in 2011
Batches in 2012
Batches in 2013
imtrashed is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #116
Mudflap
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Memphis
Posts: 73
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by BLM View Post
nice thats cool I entered mine last year did not do so well only 30/50. I think part was I put it in 21A but called it a jalapeno cream ale. should have called it jalapeno ale maybe the judges where not so good . becouse everyone I give it to loves it
Really? I called mine a Smoked Jalapeno Cream Ale and still entered it in 21A (veg, spice, herb) because it was my understanding it couldn't be entered in a cream ale category due to the penos? I could very well be wrong about this due to my noobness, but I think that is the BCJP guideline. Sounds like your judges got that wrong
__________________
Fermenting: Two Hearted Ale
Kegged: DFH 60min clone, Punkin' Head, Apfelwein
Bottled: Smoked Jalapeno Cream Ale, Belgian Tripel, Oatmeal Stout
Upcoming: Rogue Dead Guy, Bourbon Oaked IIPA
Mudflap is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 03:50 AM   #117
booherbg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 108
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default


i'm brewing this up tomorrow. i just wanted to add one thing.

i've been wondering about soaking in vodka vs not soaking in vodka. then today my colleague pointed out that capcasin (the thing that makes peppers hot) is alcohol soluble. So that's why you soak it!

So in short, if you soak the peppers you pull out a lot of the spice into the vodka. So if you add the peppers to the beer, you get the flavor and "resin" of hotness. AKA a great mouth taste. If you don't soak, you'd want to not use as many peppers because your beer is going to be HOT!

If you soak and then use for flavor, add vodka to beer after fermentation to taste. That way you can dial up the spiciness.

But yeah... vodka does two things. 1) pull out hot stuff 2) sanitizes.

What else can you do this with?

__________________
booherbg is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 09:25 AM   #118
Nemleu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Michigan - Upper Peninsula
Posts: 68
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by booherbg View Post
i'm brewing this up tomorrow. i just wanted to add one thing.

i've been wondering about soaking in vodka vs not soaking in vodka. then today my colleague pointed out that capcasin (the thing that makes peppers hot) is alcohol soluble. So that's why you soak it!

So in short, if you soak the peppers you pull out a lot of the spice into the vodka. So if you add the peppers to the beer, you get the flavor and "resin" of hotness. AKA a great mouth taste. If you don't soak, you'd want to not use as many peppers because your beer is going to be HOT!

If you soak and then use for flavor, add vodka to beer after fermentation to taste. That way you can dial up the spiciness.

But yeah... vodka does two things. 1) pull out hot stuff 2) sanitizes.

What else can you do this with?
You just about said it all, sanitize is critical, but having control of how hot you want to make your beer is very important. Adding your tincture to the bottling bucket and sampling until you've reached the heat level you want is ideal. If you just throw in a bunch of jalapenos in you don't know what you're going to get. (Jalapenos aren’t created equal)

What else can you do? It makes one hell of a Bloody Mary, but I save my tincture for the next batch. I can assure you this is a beer you will make again.
__________________
Nemleu is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #119
booherbg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 108
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default


Here's the recipe I'm brewing tonight. I am using munich instead of vienna. Adjusted the grain a bit as I sometimes get low efficiency. http://hopville.com/brewer/recipes/booherbg

Check this out - I'm brewing tonight and there are like 4 tornados touching down in the area. Therefor, this beer is going to be known as the TORNADO JALAPENO CREAM ALE... "It'll rip the roof right off of your mouth!" Mwa ha ha ha.

Code:
Name: Tornado Jalapeno Cream Ale
3 gallons

OG: 1.055
FG: 1.012
Color: 3 SRM
36.4 IBU
Mash Efficiency 65%

% LB OZ MALT OR FERMENTABLE PPG °L
73% 5 0 American 2-Row
11% 0 12 Flaked Corn
11% 0 12 Vienna Malt
5% 0 5 CaraPils
6 13

USE TIME OZ VARIETY FORM AA
boil 60 mins 0.3 Magnum leaf 12.5
boil 25 mins 0.5 Liberty pellet 4.0
boil 15 mins 0.5 Liberty pellet 4.

Mashing at 150F for 60 minutes. 90 minute boil.

Used 4 jalapenos; roasted at 450 for 40 minutes (took forever), 
soaked in vodka over night.

half 15 minutes before end of boil,
other half after primary fermentation
__________________
booherbg is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 02:42 AM   #120
thrust
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: state college, pa
Posts: 54
Likes Given: 7

Default


Thoughts about racking this onto a cake of US-05? I have a red ale that will be finished with primary and should have a nice cake left (OG 1.052)?

I've had much better success with dry yeast and would like to stick with Safale if possible.

__________________
thrust is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jalapeņo Beer pilkinga Recipes/Ingredients 38 01-08-2013 05:10 PM
Jalapeno Stale Ale? secinarot Recipes/Ingredients 4 08-10-2009 08:12 PM
Jalapeno Sausages EdWort Cooking & Pairing 10 12-27-2007 04:10 PM
Jalapeno Beer rcjmil Recipes/Ingredients 19 06-27-2007 01:06 PM
Jalapeno Wine BootYtRappeR Wine Making Forum 10 01-20-2006 10:40 PM