Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Jalapeno Cream Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2011, 02:31 PM   #91
brewgasm135
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I just tasted mine again while bottling, and ooh wee, its a sipper, hah... I love spicey stuff, but I'm not sure many of my friends will enjoy it. I'm hoping the heat mellows out a little while it ages.

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled (Aging): Jalapeno Cream Ale
Bottled (Aging): Pumpkin Spice Ale
Bottled (Drinking): Jack O' Lantern Smokes Wheat
Next Up: Oatmeal Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #92
nootay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

mine was the same way before i chilled and carbed it. i thought it was going to be way too hot but once it was chilled and carbed it toned down quite a bit. people still ask me about this beer. going to have to make it again soon

On deck: pale ale
CO2 Carbonation chart
Mash Calculator
Pitching Calculator
Cloverhill Brewery

Old 11-22-2011, 08:30 PM   #93
brewgasm135
Recipes 

Good to know!

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled (Aging): Jalapeno Cream Ale
Bottled (Aging): Pumpkin Spice Ale
Bottled (Drinking): Jack O' Lantern Smokes Wheat
Next Up: Oatmeal Stout

Old 12-07-2011, 06:38 AM   #94
mcfail
Recipes 

Default A few questions

Hi there i am still new to all this i have only made 7 beers so far so i am still making beer with the extract, this beer sounds great but i don't do all grain yet so do you think that using a cream ale extract recipe would work out ok. And on the peppers when you say rinse does the include rinsing the seeds out as well? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #95
Nemleu
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfail View Post
Hi there i am still new to all this i have only made 7 beers so far so i am still making beer with the extract, this beer sounds great but i don't do all grain yet so do you think that using a cream ale extract recipe would work out ok. And on the peppers when you say rinse does the include rinsing the seeds out as well? Thanks for any help you can offer.
In an earlier post I wrote:

In my opinion soaking the smoked/roasted jalapeno's is extremely important. First, it kills off any hidden bacteria. Second, your tincture can be used in the bottling bucket. The vodka draws out all the heat and jalapeno flavors. The point is, you control the heat by adding as much of the tincture as needed.

Seeds and all - after roasting just throw them in a jar of vodka.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:13 PM   #96
imtrashed
Bushkill Creek Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

For the OP and all that have brewed this, I'm thinking about doing a smaller batch of this, maybe 3 gallons. I'm thinking of brewing an 8 gallon batch of the cream ale and then splitting it into a 5 gallon fermenter and 3 gallon fermenter, keeping the 5 gallons as simply a cream ale and then the 3 gallons for the Jalapeno Cream Ale. My questions are:

Do you think I'm missing out on a lot of flavor if only putting peppers in secondary (and not in the boil at all)?

How do you think the base is on its own (just a cream ale with no pepper flavor)?

I just don't want to have 5 gallons of the jalapeno beer, and I also don't want to go through an entire 4 hour brew day for just 3 gallons.

Bottle conditioning / Ageing: Bourbon-Oaked Vanilla Porter
Consuming: Black IPA, Stone Vertical Epic 08.08.08 clone, EdWort's Apfelwein, English Barleywine, Sweet Mead, Punkin' Ale, Allagash Tripel clone, Pre-Prohibition Lager, Patersbier
Batches in 2011
Batches in 2012
Batches in 2013

Old 12-28-2011, 02:52 PM   #97
Mudflap
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think that would be fine to only secondary. You may miss a little of the complexity, but with a "spicy" beer thats probably less noticeable that with other styles. Cream ale itself is good too. I kept some on tap throughout the summer for BMC drinking buddies but ended up really liking it for myself as a lighter refreshing beer on hot days (great lawnmower beer).
One thing on my experience: I too made a 3gal test batch of this back in the summer because I didn't want 5gal of something that no one would drink. It is easily my most remarkable beer to date if for nothing else just the novelty of having a jalapeno beer. You just don't see that much if ever and most adventurous types wanted to try it once they heard about it. 3 gal went way too fast. Granted, not everyone likes the idea and it is definitely not for everyone, but for those who can appreciate the uniqueness it's great! I can't wait til the penos come back in next season, I see me making at least 10gal of this next year and even entering it in some of my local HBC comps. Good luck!

Upcoming: Rogue Dead Guy, Bourbon Oaked IIPA

Old 01-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #98
imtrashed
Bushkill Creek Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I have a 3 gallon batch of this cream ale in primary right now ready to rack. For those who have experimented with different pepper additions here, how many roasted peppers should I use if I did not use any in the boil and if I am only adding them to secondary? Will probably plan to have them in secondary for a week. How many peppers should go in and how much of the vodka pepper tincture should I add? I don't mind the heat, and I'd like this to have some pepper kick, since that's the point of using them. Thanks!

Bottle conditioning / Ageing: Bourbon-Oaked Vanilla Porter
Consuming: Black IPA, Stone Vertical Epic 08.08.08 clone, EdWort's Apfelwein, English Barleywine, Sweet Mead, Punkin' Ale, Allagash Tripel clone, Pre-Prohibition Lager, Patersbier
Batches in 2011
Batches in 2012
Batches in 2013

Old 01-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #99
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Been thinking about making a pepper beer, and was trying to figure out what base beer to use. This might be it. However, as a hothead, I'll be kicking it up a few notches, hello jolokias!

Old 01-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #100
BLM
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtrashed View Post
I have a 3 gallon batch of this cream ale in primary right now ready to rack. For those who have experimented with different pepper additions here, how many roasted peppers should I use if I did not use any in the boil and if I am only adding them to secondary? Will probably plan to have them in secondary for a week. How many peppers should go in and how much of the vodka pepper tincture should I add? I don't mind the heat, and I'd like this to have some pepper kick, since that's the point of using them. Thanks!
well for a 5 gal batch I add 5 jalapenos for 3 days in the secondary,I do not add the vodka . I would try 3 peppers for 3 days then taste it if you want more heat let it sit longer but tastes sit everyday jalapenos vary so to take less or more time to get what you want

almost time to make another 10 gal batch

Quick Reply