Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Imperial Pumpkin Pie Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2012, 12:02 AM   #71
MacGruber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

You sound new to this based on these two posts. If I were you I would probably get some pale malt extract and two lbs of crystal 20 to steep. Brew it as an extract beer- you LHBS could help you with everything you'd need.

If you're going to do all grain brewing then no you don't steep the grains- you mash them. Read up on mashing procedures in the all grain section if you have the equipment to do all grain brewing.

This site is amazing with many knowledgable and helpful homebrewers. If you're new to it welcome!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 12:14 AM   #72
MacGruber
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Go back to p. 3 on this thread and Max said 12 lbs of pale extract (liquid or dry would work- up to you I guess) and two lbs of crystal 20( actual grain for color/body). Basically you'd need a cheese cloth/grain bag and would put the 2 lbs of crystal 20 into it. Steep those in about 2 gallons of water at 153 for 30-45 min. Remove the bag of grains and add you extract in and make sure it's well mixed. Bring it to a boil. Add your 60 minute hop addition. Watch for boil overs. After 30 mintues add your next hop addition. 15 minutes later/45 min into the boil- add your spices and Whirlfloc/irish moss. Take it off the heat and put the entire pot in an ice bath. Get the temperature down to about 70 and transfer to your fermentor. You can top it off at this point with preboiled and chilled water. Also you can speed the cooling process by adding pre boiled and pre measured ice to your fermentor to bring you up to your desired volume. Once again, this is BASIC extract brewing and you'll find more info in the extract section. Good luck!

Old 08-08-2012, 12:16 AM   #73
MacGruber
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Take it off the heat another 15 minutes after you add the spices - 60 minute boil time total

Old 08-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #74
pbarrett
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
You sound new to this based on these two posts. If I were you I would probably get some pale malt extract and two lbs of crystal 20 to steep. Brew it as an extract beer- you LHBS could help you with everything you'd need.

If you're going to do all grain brewing then no you don't steep the grains- you mash them. Read up on mashing procedures in the all grain section if you have the equipment to do all grain brewing.

This site is amazing with many knowledgable and helpful homebrewers. If you're new to it welcome!

Haha yeah I am completely new to this. This will be my first all grain attempt. I used some kits before, and they come with some pretty precise instruction sets. I figured that I'd ask a few questions here rather than brewing bad beer.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #75
kingmatt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarrett View Post
Haha yeah I am completely new to this. This will be my first all grain attempt. I used some kits before, and they come with some pretty precise instruction sets. I figured that I'd ask a few questions here rather than brewing bad beer.
I would recommend reading up on the all-grain brewing process before jumping in with both feet. If you aren't familiar with the terms sparging, doughing-in, saccharification rest, vorlaufing etc then you probably shouldn't be brewing all-grain just yet.

I highly recommend reading John Palmer's book "How to Brew"; I have linked the free version at the all-grain process below

http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/index.html
Secondary 2: Air
Kegged: Rye IPA, Watermelon Wheat, Simple Saison
Bottled: Peanut butter banana porter
On Deck: HopHands Clone, Raging Bitch Clone, 100% Brett IPA
-=My Keezer Build=-

Old 08-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #76
MacGruber
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I'll recommend Charlie Papazzian's Complete Joy of Homebrewing and Homebrewing for Dummies. I read those bad boys cover to cover so many times. It really helped me understand the all grain process.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #77
nukularpower
Recipes 

Dumb question, but does this mean 1 teaspoon of each of these, or total?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwible204 View Post
Spice Additions - 1.0 heaping tsp of the following added @ 5 minutes -
nutmeg, cloves, alspice, ginger, cinnamon

Old 08-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #78
nukularpower
Recipes 

Guess this didnt go through before:

Know it's a dumb question, but does this mean 1 tsp of each of these, or all combined?

Quote:
Spice Additions - 1.0 heaping tsp of the following added @ 5 minutes -
nutmeg, cloves, alspice, ginger, cinnamon

Old 08-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #79
MacGruber
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Each

Old 08-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #80
jwible204
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukularpower View Post
Guess this didnt go through before:

Know it's a dumb question, but does this mean 1 tsp of each of these, or all combined?
That's 1 tsp each, but remember that's for a 10 gallon batch.

Quick Reply