Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Imperial Pumpkin Pie Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #41
kingmatt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I brewed this up in August and cracked a bottle last night...it is awesome!

I brewed up a 5 gallon batch and used 7# 2-row and 8# of Marris Otter so my OG came in at around 1.080. I also didn't use cloves in my boil and cut out the pumpkin pie spice reccommended at bottling. Instead, I added a vanilla bean that I soaked in vodka for 3 weeks and 1/2 teaspoon of ginger and nutmeg to the secondary.

To me it tastes like a less cloyingly sweet version of Pumking, which I also love, and SWMBO described it 'pumpkin pie in a glass'.

At around 8% ABV, you can barely detect the alcohol.

Thanks again for this recipe It will likely be my yearly pumpkin brew since it is great and I don't have to deal with actual pumpkin mess!!

Secondary 2: Rye IPA
Kegged: Watermelon Wheat, Habanero IPA
Bottled: Peanut butter banana porter
On Deck: Toasted Blonde, Raging Bitch Clone, 100% Brett IPA
-=My Keezer Build=-

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2011, 03:30 AM   #42
BudzAndSudz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Last n00b question; When it says "add spices @ 5 minutes," does that mean 5 minutes into the boil, or with 5 minutes remaining (as you would with the hops?)

Old 10-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #43
IIINuns
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudzAndSudz View Post
Last n00b question; When it says "add spices @ 5 minutes," does that mean 5 minutes into the boil, or with 5 minutes remaining (as you would with the hops?)
Yup, last 5 minutes of the boil. I actually did the last 15 when I added the chopped up pumpkin.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #44
BudzAndSudz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudzAndSudz View Post
Thanks for the response!

So I don't see any instructions on the mash in the OP, would everyone recommend the standard 152 for 60 minutes, or should it be slightly longer to help with diastatic activity? Or maybe even mash at a higher temp to get a slightly sweeter finished product which might lend nicely to the "pie" flavor?
Wanted to see one last time if anyone had any thoughts on the mash temp/time. I've never brewed a 5 gallon batch with this enormous quantity of grain so I'm not really sure what the ideal process would really be.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:26 PM   #45
MaxSpang
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I just brewed this beer, and the sample tasted amazing! Cannot wait to try this guy once it's done.

I missed my OG by... a lot. It ended up being 1.075. I used too much water (at least I'll have more to drink!).

But other than that, everything went smoothly and there's a beautiful steady stream of bubbles coming out of my blow-off tube. If the smell is any indication as to how this tastes, then we will be good to go this Thanksgiving

Catapult Creative - Well Aimed Ideas

Old 10-20-2011, 12:41 AM   #46
MacGruber
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I just kegged this Sunday. It's Wednesday and the keg is just about kicked. It's funny how so many of my friends have wanted to hang out this week. My neighbors and my wife also put a huge dent in this one. It's hands down the best pumpkin beer I've ever had.

I also roasted a whole pumpkin cut into chunks and dusted the chunks with the spices. Added half to the mash and steeped the other half during the last 15 minutes of the boil. I also added a pound of brown sugar to the boil. It's amazing!

Old 10-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #47
MacGruber
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The keg officially kicked later Wednesday night. One keg in four days was a record. I've had many requests to make it again in multiple batches to give to people for their families for Thanksgiving. Best feeling ever. I highly suggest trying to add the real pumpkin and adding the brown sugar as well. I should also mention that I did a five gallon batch. Thanks for the starting point!

Old 10-23-2011, 08:00 AM   #48
BudzAndSudz
Recipes 

When in the boil did you add the brown sugar?

Old 10-29-2011, 08:14 PM   #49
MaxSpang
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Tasting my hydrometer sample right now, and man this is good! It's 7.3% ABV, but there's still a nice bit of sugar leftover so it's got some nice sweetness. This may be one of the best batches I've made to date! The alcohol is a little hot (which is surprising), but I think it'll mellow out.

Awesome! I will definitely be brewing this again!

Catapult Creative - Well Aimed Ideas

Old 11-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #50
BudzAndSudz
Recipes 

I brewed this up about a month ago, with only one small change; I traded out 1lb of the 2-row with some biscuit malt to add a bit more of a "crust" character to the beer. Everyone who drank this remarked that they thought it was one of the best beers they'd ever had. Nice work on the recipe, this stuff is killer! Killed the entire batch in about a week between my friends, gonna have to make another round this week to get me through the holidays!

Quick Reply