Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Imperial Pumpkin Pie Ale

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 09:11 AM   #21
Medevac_Chief
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: APO
Posts: 68
Default


can you subsitute rehydrated Irish Moss for the whirlfolac tabs??

__________________
Medevac_Chief is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 09:46 AM   #22
Moody_Copperpot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bay Village, OH
Posts: 413
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by bh10 View Post
Probably zero, since Pumpkin King doesnt have any.
I think you mean Pumking, and yes they do use real pumpkin. It's seasoned, roasted, and added to the mash in that beer.
__________________

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Moody_Copperpot is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 03:52 PM   #23
redXstripe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Philly
Posts: 9
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by bh10 View Post
Probably zero, since Pumpkin King doesnt have any.
I believe the bottle of Pumking says it uses pumpkin.... Many commercial versions, if not most use pumpkin.

I think what most people use is two regular size cans of pumpkin puree for a 5gal batch. Other recipes also suggest to bake the puree for a short amount of time. Not sure why...

*edit* sorry- just saw the above post!
__________________
redXstripe is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #24
ChadLeBald
In Hops We Trust
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ChadLeBald's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Redondo Beach
Posts: 64
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by jwible204 View Post

Spice Additions - 1.0 heaping tsp of the following added @ 5 minutes -
nutmeg, cloves, alspice, ginger, cinnamon
I'm not sure how to interpret the amount of spice listed above: is it 1 tsp of EACH of the following, or just 1 tsp COMBINED? (I'm guessing the former, but if I'm wrong, that would be quite the over-spiced brew!)
__________________

On tap: Honey Rye Saison (& a dry-hopped version, too)
Conical: English Amber


www.three-group.com

ChadLeBald is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2011, 12:43 AM   #25
MaxSpang
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dayton
Posts: 185
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default


If I were to throw in a little pumpkin, like a can of pumkin pie filling, would that ruin it? For 5 gal, that is.

Thanks

__________________
www.snobbybeer.com - reviews & beer talk

Catapult Creative - Well Aimed Ideas
MaxSpang is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2011, 05:26 PM   #26
uberlad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Newport News
Posts: 30
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadLeBald View Post
I'm not sure how to interpret the amount of spice listed above: is it 1 tsp of EACH of the following, or just 1 tsp COMBINED? (I'm guessing the former, but if I'm wrong, that would be quite the over-spiced brew!)
Also curious about this. Looking to do my brew in the next few weeks and want to be prepared!

Also, someone else had asked about getting a 9% ABV with just one pack of London yeast. I never saw an answer out of this. I'm guessing there was a starter involved -- but wow, 9% would be fantastic. Very curious!
__________________
uberlad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2011, 05:43 PM   #27
ChadLeBald
In Hops We Trust
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ChadLeBald's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Redondo Beach
Posts: 64
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by uberlad View Post
Also curious about this. Looking to do my brew in the next few weeks and want to be prepared!

Also, someone else had asked about getting a 9% ABV with just one pack of London yeast. I never saw an answer out of this. I'm guessing there was a starter involved -- but wow, 9% would be fantastic. Very curious!
Well, I brewed something similar this past weekend without confirmation...and looking at other recipes across the interwebs, I deduced that it was most likely 1 tsp of EACH of the spices. I took a sip of the brew 3 days into fermentation and I do think I made the right call - for sure there is a pumpkin pie thing going on, but it's balanced, not SPICE, SPICE AND MORE SPICE!

So have at it! But NOTE: keep in mind that the OP's recipe was a 10 gallon batch, so adjust accordingly depending on your batch size. In fact, I got about 12 gallons into the fermenter so even a 10 gal batch would be more spiced than what I'm getting.

Regarding the yeast: I had harvested some WLP001 prior, and did do a yeast starter with that. Fermenting nicely so I would suggest a starter - to your point, it is a 9% ABV...
__________________

On tap: Honey Rye Saison (& a dry-hopped version, too)
Conical: English Amber


www.three-group.com


Last edited by ChadLeBald; 09-15-2011 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Adding a comment about the yeast question...
ChadLeBald is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #28
uberlad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Newport News
Posts: 30
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadLeBald View Post
Well, I brewed something similar this past weekend without confirmation...and looking at other recipes across the interwebs, I deduced that it was most likely 1 tsp of EACH of the spices. I took a sip of the brew 3 days into fermentation and I do think I made the right call - for sure there is a pumpkin pie thing going on, but it's balanced, not SPICE, SPICE AND MORE SPICE!

So have at it! But NOTE: keep in mind that the OP's recipe was a 10 gallon batch, so adjust accordingly depending on your batch size. In fact, I got about 12 gallons into the fermenter so even a 10 gal batch would be more spiced than what I'm getting.

Regarding the yeast: I had harvested some WLP001 prior, and did do a yeast starter with that. Fermenting nicely so I would suggest a starter - to your point, it is a 9% ABV...
Yeah, I saw it was a 10 gallon batch. I'm doing 5 gallon, so I'll be cutting everything in half like another posted recommended. I'm probably going to be looking at half tsp of each spice.

Thanks for the help
__________________
uberlad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2011, 04:00 PM   #29
Medevac_Chief
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: APO
Posts: 68
Default


if the place i order from doesnt have sterling, would mount hood be an acceptable substitute?? ordering ingredients soon so please help

__________________
Medevac_Chief is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2011, 05:20 AM   #30
ChadLeBald
In Hops We Trust
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ChadLeBald's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Redondo Beach
Posts: 64
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Medevac_Chief View Post
if the place i order from doesnt have sterling, would mount hood be an acceptable substitute?? ordering ingredients soon so please help
Saaz would be a better direct substitute for Sterling than Mount Hood. That said, I personally used Hallertau late in the boil for my recent imperial pumpkin. And according to AHS, Mt. Hood is similar to Hallertau, so in that regard I think you'd be just fine in doing so.

FWIW, I added them @15 minutes (4.2% Alpha)
__________________

On tap: Honey Rye Saison (& a dry-hopped version, too)
Conical: English Amber


www.three-group.com

ChadLeBald is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Extract - H&B Pumpkin Ale mannish Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer 10 11-04-2011 06:30 PM
All-Grain - Joie De Vivre (Fake Imperial Pumpkin) passedpawn Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer 33 09-11-2011 08:14 PM
All-Grain - Pug Pumpkin Ale Ziggybrew Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer 0 10-08-2010 01:32 AM
All-Grain - Pa (Pumpkin Ale) adamjab19 Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer 1 07-11-2009 07:20 PM
All-Grain - Roasted Pumpkin Ale TUCK Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer 2 11-10-2007 02:50 AM