Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Imperial Pumpkin Pie Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 09:11 AM   #21
Medevac_Chief
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

can you subsitute rehydrated Irish Moss for the whirlfolac tabs??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 09:46 AM   #22
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh10 View Post
Probably zero, since Pumpkin King doesnt have any.
I think you mean Pumking, and yes they do use real pumpkin. It's seasoned, roasted, and added to the mash in that beer.

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:52 PM   #23
redXstripe
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh10 View Post
Probably zero, since Pumpkin King doesnt have any.
I believe the bottle of Pumking says it uses pumpkin.... Many commercial versions, if not most use pumpkin.

I think what most people use is two regular size cans of pumpkin puree for a 5gal batch. Other recipes also suggest to bake the puree for a short amount of time. Not sure why...

*edit* sorry- just saw the above post!

Old 09-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #24
ChadLeBald
In Hops We Trust

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwible204 View Post

Spice Additions - 1.0 heaping tsp of the following added @ 5 minutes -
nutmeg, cloves, alspice, ginger, cinnamon
I'm not sure how to interpret the amount of spice listed above: is it 1 tsp of EACH of the following, or just 1 tsp COMBINED? (I'm guessing the former, but if I'm wrong, that would be quite the over-spiced brew!)

On tap: Honey Rye Saison (& a dry-hopped version, too)
Conical: English Amber

www.three-group.com

Old 09-10-2011, 12:43 AM   #25
MaxSpang
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If I were to throw in a little pumpkin, like a can of pumkin pie filling, would that ruin it? For 5 gal, that is.

Thanks

Catapult Creative - Well Aimed Ideas

Old 09-15-2011, 05:26 PM   #26
uberlad
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadLeBald View Post
I'm not sure how to interpret the amount of spice listed above: is it 1 tsp of EACH of the following, or just 1 tsp COMBINED? (I'm guessing the former, but if I'm wrong, that would be quite the over-spiced brew!)
Also curious about this. Looking to do my brew in the next few weeks and want to be prepared!

Also, someone else had asked about getting a 9% ABV with just one pack of London yeast. I never saw an answer out of this. I'm guessing there was a starter involved -- but wow, 9% would be fantastic. Very curious!

Old 09-15-2011, 05:43 PM   #27
ChadLeBald
In Hops We Trust

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberlad View Post
Also curious about this. Looking to do my brew in the next few weeks and want to be prepared!

Also, someone else had asked about getting a 9% ABV with just one pack of London yeast. I never saw an answer out of this. I'm guessing there was a starter involved -- but wow, 9% would be fantastic. Very curious!
Well, I brewed something similar this past weekend without confirmation...and looking at other recipes across the interwebs, I deduced that it was most likely 1 tsp of EACH of the spices. I took a sip of the brew 3 days into fermentation and I do think I made the right call - for sure there is a pumpkin pie thing going on, but it's balanced, not SPICE, SPICE AND MORE SPICE!

So have at it! But NOTE: keep in mind that the OP's recipe was a 10 gallon batch, so adjust accordingly depending on your batch size. In fact, I got about 12 gallons into the fermenter so even a 10 gal batch would be more spiced than what I'm getting.

Regarding the yeast: I had harvested some WLP001 prior, and did do a yeast starter with that. Fermenting nicely so I would suggest a starter - to your point, it is a 9% ABV...

www.three-group.com

Last edited by ChadLeBald; 09-15-2011 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Adding a comment about the yeast question...

Old 09-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #28
uberlad
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadLeBald View Post
Well, I brewed something similar this past weekend without confirmation...and looking at other recipes across the interwebs, I deduced that it was most likely 1 tsp of EACH of the spices. I took a sip of the brew 3 days into fermentation and I do think I made the right call - for sure there is a pumpkin pie thing going on, but it's balanced, not SPICE, SPICE AND MORE SPICE!

So have at it! But NOTE: keep in mind that the OP's recipe was a 10 gallon batch, so adjust accordingly depending on your batch size. In fact, I got about 12 gallons into the fermenter so even a 10 gal batch would be more spiced than what I'm getting.

Regarding the yeast: I had harvested some WLP001 prior, and did do a yeast starter with that. Fermenting nicely so I would suggest a starter - to your point, it is a 9% ABV...
Yeah, I saw it was a 10 gallon batch. I'm doing 5 gallon, so I'll be cutting everything in half like another posted recommended. I'm probably going to be looking at half tsp of each spice.

Thanks for the help

Old 09-16-2011, 04:00 PM   #29
Medevac_Chief
Recipes 

if the place i order from doesnt have sterling, would mount hood be an acceptable substitute?? ordering ingredients soon so please help

Old 09-17-2011, 05:20 AM   #30
ChadLeBald
In Hops We Trust

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medevac_Chief View Post
if the place i order from doesnt have sterling, would mount hood be an acceptable substitute?? ordering ingredients soon so please help
Saaz would be a better direct substitute for Sterling than Mount Hood. That said, I personally used Hallertau late in the boil for my recent imperial pumpkin. And according to AHS, Mt. Hood is similar to Hallertau, so in that regard I think you'd be just fine in doing so.

FWIW, I added them @15 minutes (4.2% Alpha)

www.three-group.com

Quick Reply